Survivors: other knives you like

I am waiting for this one in elmax

I'd definitely take one in elmax or M390, but man I'm liking the N690 pretty good, at least in the splinter. I'd like to see the option for kydex on the bushcrafter though, but I understand why they did leather with a firesteel loop.

Good evening Silver. Sharpening choils bother me for a couple of reasons.
They can hang up when you are slicing fibrous material, essentially the material you are trying to cut gets lodged in the notch. This is an even bigger problem with finger choils.
One sign of a well ground knife is looking at the base of the edge where it meets the ricasso and seeing how evenly the knife is ground. Can't do that if the material has been cut away before the knife was ground.
Thirdly, I don't like the way they look, which is completely arbitrary of me but there it is.
As I said I like just about everything else about Survive's designs so I overlook the dang choils...

Choils are the devil. Sharpening, finger, or otherwise. I like plenty of knives that have them, but I like those knives in spite of, not because of, their choils.

Those TRC knives look awfully sexy but I don't know that I could get along with those flat handle scales. Different strokes for different folks.

Now that you say it, I remember hearing about how some folks had trouble with stuff getting hing up on the choil when cutting. From where I've read it seemed like more folks preferred a sharpening choil to aid in getting the entire edge flat on a stone to sharpen.

It is good to hear some new/different points of view on this. I hadn't thought too much about sharpening choices all too much before, but I'm feeling more informed on the pros and cons now :thumbsup:

I only find a completely flat edge necessary on kitchen knives.
I've stopped using European style chef knives that have a bolster for that reason.
In order to keep the edge flat you have to grind down the bolster to compensate for the edge wear.
I'm using kitchen knives without bolsters or finger guards and wider blades of harder steel and I'm pretty happy with them. Included are pictures of my 12" chef knife.
Note: This knife is 3V and receives only the occasional wipe down and does not show signs of corrosion.
Edit: These images were loaded to BF and then inserted to this post, and only appear when I am logged in.
img_7671-jpg.722856
img_7670-jpg.722855

Attachments

• IMG_7670.JPG
    IMG_7670.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_7671.JPG
    IMG_7671.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Man those blades from Big Chris look good. Looks like you're getting some use on the LC, too :)

I only find a completely flat edge necessary on kitchen knives.

I'm using kitchen knives without bolsters or finger guards and wider blades of harder steel and I'm pretty happy with them. Included are pictures of my 12" chef knife.
img_7671-jpg.722856
img_7670-jpg.722855
I agree with this. Cutting meat with sinew, can get very aggravating when it gets caught in the choil. A straight edge as shown is much cleaner and easier to use in my experience.

Skrama - a knife I'm really not afraid to (ab)use...

View attachment 735419
I don't think it gets much uglier and functional than that :D

I agree with this. Cutting meat with sinew, can get very aggravating when it gets caught in the choil. A straight edge as shown is much cleaner and easier to use in my experience.
That's a good point. There's a lot I don't think of in a knife when I don't use it for hunting.

I really like my Manix2 LW in S110V, it is my daily carry, and it would be perfect without the choil. :)

Meeee tooooo. It the only folder I carry anymore. My most used is the Knife Works S90V that you show in the top pic

Meeee tooooo. It the only folder I carry anymore. My most used is the Knife Works S90V that you show in the top pic

It's a nice one for sure! Though my liner lock Millies all have solid lockups, the cf/s90v one looks, feels and sounds like a different knife!

Last edited:
I like my Busse and kin blades too...

GQz81Dj.jpg

AtMXxMj.jpg

Jerry is killing me with op2wp2. I did really good the first time around, just grabbing up the ratweiler. I really want that FBM but I'm tapped with the DS and the INFI Ratweiler back to back.

Jerry is killing me with op2wp2. I did really good the first time around, just grabbing up the ratweiler. I really want that FBM but I'm tapped with the DS and the INFI Ratweiler back to back.
A while back @redwood22 was kind enough to send me a link to an explanation of the Busse language. I haven't taken the time to really study it, so I still find it hilarious how a simple paragraph about Busses can look like such gibberish if you're not familiar with the company :D

Awesome looking blade, regardless. I love the gray and black!

Jerry does hang some handles on them, both figuratively and literally :D I think bravo has one of the Basic 8s there. My orders are the Dog Soldier and the Ratweiler in INFI steel. The other is a Fusion Battle Mistress which they're building in SR101 this time around. Nothing about those is cheap, and with Nathan's HDFK starting to hit, and a really nice Buck folder from Silver Knights in S90V up, something's got to give!!

Back