1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sussing our True Temper axes

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by AaronGP, Aug 22, 2019.

1. AaronGP

AaronGP Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Maybe a simple question, maybe not. I’ve seen Flint Edge, Kelly Perfect, Vulcan, and various combinations of True Temper axes. Is there a specific relationship between all of these models, or is just all arbitrary? Is there any kind of hierarchy? Is one better for one use and another better for a different use? Thanks!

A17 and Meek1 like this.
  2. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I can’t find the link to where this was previously discuss but I believe this is their 1913 price list.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry I can’t credit who wrote this but it was important enough to me to screenshot and save, if that helps. ;)

A17, Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.
  3. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Believe it’s mostly fit and finish with the top of the line warranted.Pretty sure it’s all the same steel but don’t think anyone has had them tested.Far as what works best think pattern and what your chopping matters more than the name.

4. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Type in "Kelly axe manufacturing thread" to the search bar on this forum and you'll find a bunch of useful info regarding your questions.
    I think the individual who posted itvd's screen shot will be easily recognized too.
    It is hard to tell the difference. My personal thought is that some had more hands on them during production and especially tempering while others were more mechanized including the tempering process. I never read that in so many words but I gleaned it from different ads and the descriptions therein.

A17, ithinkverydeeply and Fmont like this.
  5. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think most companies had two tiers of steel and different finishes within those two tiers.

6. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    True as that list may be, my TTFE would whup a TTKP any day of the week and on the weekends too.

7. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I think it's just finishing and things like that.

For example a Woodslasher may have only seen one grinding before they simply slapped a coat of red paint on it.
    I'm sure they're of different eras but my slasher Boys axe and Slasher hatchet both have some very obvious grinding marks while my KELLY Handmade does not and obviously saw much more time in the finishing department.

From what I've seen it appears the least expensive axes ( the slashers ) saw minor finishing and a bunch of paint,
    The next level up saw more finishing and less or no paint.
    The top tier lines saw the most finishing and either no paint or just some accent painting as to not hide the nice finish.

At least that's how it appears to me.

8. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    This issue was a bit perplexing to me as well. I came to think of it like cars: A couple models (entry, mid, lux) with different trim level and packages. Built on same chassis, basically same car, mostly difference is time put into fit, finish, and qc. Like a Suburban vs Denali XL vs Escalade.

9. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I think it's more along the lines of what Council is doing now. Their base line axes are 1060 and their premium axes are 5160. I'd bet that Woodslashers are 1060 and that True Temper's premium axes contain something along the lines of 1080. Maybe monosteel. Maybe electrowelded.

Fmont, Meek1 and ithinkverydeeply like this.
  10. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Sussing our True Temper axes
    Are we talking American Fork and Hoe Co True Temper Kellys (post 1930 buy out)?
    After A F & H became True Tremper(1949)?
    Some later date?
    All of the above + original Kelly Axe Mfg. Co.?

Maybe not?

Bob