Svord Peasant Mini?

Great knife. Had one, a blue mini, for a few years. Got it from our own Baryonyx with the special grade. Figured, it was still only $15, why not? Came absurdly sharp and was easy to keep that way. Carried extremely big as you can imagine so it mostly lived as a secondary knife in my bag. Gave it to a friend of mine who had taken a shine to it, this thread is making me think I might need another one...

Great knife. Had one, a blue mini, for a few years. Got it from our own Baryonyx with the special grade. Figured, it was still only $15, why not? Came absurdly sharp and was easy to keep that way. Carried extremely big as you can imagine so it mostly lived as a secondary knife in my bag. Gave it to a friend of mine who had taken a shine to it, this thread is making me think I might need another one...
Totally recommend getting another. A little bit of work and great knife. They seem to have fixed a few quality issues.

I just bought aSvord mini hardwood off amazon and it doesnt say new zealand and the listing says made in switzerland . Did I get took by a fugazi Svord or ......?

I just bought aSvord mini hardwood off amazon and it doesnt say new zealand and the listing says made in switzerland . Did I get took by a fugazi Svord or ......?

There is a lot of misinformation in some of those Amazon listings. I just saw one ad that describes the Mini Peasant Knife as a lockback. The blades are just stamped “SVORD” on both of mine and every one I have seen.

The Mini is about as big a knife as I would care to carry. I carried the wood one for a while a few years ago after I bought it, having given the full-sized one to my son. I really like the alloy handles done by Davek14. I have read some complaints about the aluminum handles from the manufacturer, but these are great.

07530B89-18FA-4B32-A155-52CE80180ABA.jpeg

Last edited:
In the friction folder world the svord peasant was responsible for introducing the type of knife to many many people. You can spend more, but the peasant is a workhorse. I prefer the longer tang style in the svord vs. a shorter one found in the higo no kami.

In the end a friction folder is fun for alot of cutting tasks, I love to take mine camping because it's a strong design and a breeze to take apart and clean.

I like mine, but the edge needs some work and I do not sharpen that well. If it was sharpened better, I would use it, got it to try if I like a friction folder.

I had a Svord mini with a blue handle, and I liked it, and I got an orange clip point Svord afterwards but I sold them both. The issue is that tang. It pokes out and jabs into you when its in your pocket, and I always had to worry about it opening up in my pocket. It was uncomfortable and scary. Plus, they come pretty rough, terrible edges. And the plastic handle is pretty flimsy feeling. I wanted a wood model but theyre more expensive.
Anyway, I had a lot of issues with mine personally. I liked the knife when using it, and thought it was cool but when it went into my pocket it was just too uncomfortable to carry. I bought an Opinel number 8 and never looked back, I much prefer it. Plus, they have a nice wooden handle that doesnt cost extra.

I love the concept of the Svord and ordered a sprint run Micro with titanium handles. Unfortunately the knife was a piece of crap. I wish they could improve the quality control of these knives.

They are great knives. The couple I have came in with rough grinds. But no big deal. I actually thinned one to 5 degrees on a belt sander behind the bevel. And then put a 30 degree inclusive on it . Cuts very well. And it's legal in NYC! Lol. It doesn't lock but there's no way it's going to close on your fingers with the long tail.

If you carry a friction folder tip down, and keep some reasonable tension on the pivot, it’s not going to open up on you., whether it is a Svord, Higokonami, Opinel or Michael Morris. That said, I just ordered a slip for my Svord, not so much to hold them closed as to keep them vertical in the pocket.

To me, the greater issue with comfort is the pointy tail of the handle. I round mine off, as do many others. Not unlike the Opinel, the Svord invites some active participation by the user. For some, that is a pain; for others, it is fun.

I enjoy my Mini Svord from time to time, I also carry it in a thin suede pocket slip. I find the suede helps to keep it upright because it's a little grippy

3qcBfi8.jpg

dkgPevb.jpg

I have a mini and a full sized Peasant and I like them both a lot. I carry them loose in my pocket and never had either open up on me. They're a little rough, but sharp and easy to keep that way. I tighten the pivot screw so they can't flop open, but I can still open them one-handed. I also found that the blade will come to rest on the rear brass peg, which I don't like. So I took it apart and put an o-ring on it to act as a bumper and protect the blade. I find that the lack of any locking mechanism naturally makes you a bit more careful about how you use them but once you're used to the idea, they work as well as any other folder for general knife tasks. In all, they're one of those knives that are a value at their price point. Great for grubby work you might not want to put a nicer knife to.

I don't know if these are all custom Svords or what, but they all seem to either have differently shaped handles or tangs from my Mini Peasant, or both. I'm quite happy with mine, and I am going to get a regular 3" Peasant Knife to round things out, although it will probably be a bit cumbersome to carry in pocket. The 2.5" blade version carries like a 5" folder, with that tang sticking out! The only real issues I had with quality are that the handles were rough, as if they had been treated with a single coat of poly and shipped when dry, without any sanding. A few minutes with sandpaper and some oil fixed that, although I debated leaving it. After all, many manufacturers go to great lengths to roughen their handles for extra grip! The second issue is that the holes for the rear screw/post are slightly misaligned, so the handles don't QUITE line up. Not a real problem, but it annoys me to no end. I tried opening the holes up a little, but it didn't seem to help.
As for the blade hitting the rear post when closed, I hadn't noticed or had a problem with that, since I have always kept my rear screw tightened right down (finger tight only), so when you close it the blade is wedging between to two handles, which keeps it closed very well. It would be very difficult to close it far enough to hit the brass post unless I loosened the screw, and then it would flop open in my pocket. Only drawback is that this tends to leave brighter score lines where the handle rubs it when closed. Don't know about some of these other types of handles though, can't speak for those. The rubber O-ring sounds like a great idea.
The blade came pretty sharp, and sharpened up without much trouble. The edge certain FEELS sharp, although it doesn't seem to actually cut through things a well as I'd expect. I may just be spoiled by getting an Opinel at the same time though. Those are so scary sharp that other knives seem dull in comparison. I suspect some of the problem is the "special grind" on the blade, which as far as I can tell is just a convex kind of "spear point" edge grind (I'm sure there is some official name for it that I don't know). Great for strength, less great for delicate slicing work (there is an article I saw somewhere on the original Peasant Knife that shows him chopping through a mild-steel 3/8" bolt with one, supposedly without damaging the edge. As well as being bent 90deg in both directions before snapping off when straightened again). The steel is supposedly carbon steel, with "special heat treatment". It certainly gives a carbon steel taste to food when you cut it, but when i tried to force patina it with mustard overnight, all it did was leave two black freckles on the blade, and blacken a cm or so of the edge near the tip. Odd. That an it had kind of darkened and splotched in general since I got it.
I like the simple handle and design. You can adjust the pivot tension with the front screw and the open/closed retention by tightening the rear screw. You have to fiddle with them to find the right balance every time you take it apart, but itsn't hard, and you can adjust it however you like. You do have to take it apart to really clean and dry/oil the blade, but it's cheap enough that if you don't, it's not a huge deal. The handles are comfortable and well shaped, at least on mine. I assumed this was the "traditional" Svord shape, curved, tapering, with pointed heel and rounded head. It's almost a "pistol grip" shape, which gives good blade positioning for cutting.
The tang is the heart of the knife, and the greatest advantage and greatest drawback. With the tang, when the blade is opening, the tang wedges itself between the two handle halves (friction force adjustable). When properly adjusted, the friction fit is quite firm, and the knife won't close unless you make it close. When gripped in the hand, not only is the friction increased, but with the palm in the way, it is physically impossible for the blade to close accidentally. It is quite safe and effective, apparently taken from antique farm/craftsman's tools designs (the overall look is suitable primitive and organic, to be sure, down to the blade which seems to be trying to appear hand-forged). When closed, the tang protrudes an inch or so from the handle, which makes the overall length a lot longer than a modern knife of the same size. This is a bit cumbersome, but not a deal breaker. This tang is also a useful tool when closed, being very handy for prying and poking at things. It would also work as a non-lethal weapon in the event a user just wanted to drive an assailant/animal away rather than stabbing or cutting them. If you gribbed the closed knife, tang down in your palm, and hammered at a person's head and body with that tang, you can be sure it would hurt a great deal, all that force being focused into that blunt-ish tang tip. Would leave nasty bruises, but probably wouldn't do any real penetrating. Just a thought I had, although I don NOT advise anyone try to do such a thing. The tip of the tang of my knife is rounded, with a small hole drilled in it, which apparently can be used with a clip to hang the knife from a belt, keychain or wall hook. However whatever ring you install will be right under your palm when the blade is open, so thing small or use a string. It prevents the knife from opening fully, but it works just well (however the prying tool function is impeded by the ring being in the way). I am not sure it's worth it and am probably going to remove mine. The tang is more handy as a pipe-tamping/stirring tool than as a way of hanging the knife, IMHO. Another good point about the tang is that if you were ever stuck in the wilderness and the handle broke for some reason, the tang leave enough handle for the knife to be usable, or to allow it to be fixed to a handmade rough handle with string or bark. Good to know one COULD do this, if it came to it. This would be harder with most folding knives.

The way to solve the tang issue is to carry a svord upright in your pocket with a clipped pocket slip. Since the slip stays in your pocket, it can be ugly. A glasses case with a stitch run up vertically and the excess trimmed off works well.

4i33c8I.jpg

I love the concept of the Svord and ordered a sprint run Micro with titanium handles. Unfortunately the knife was a piece of crap. I wish they could improve the quality control of these knives.

The micro was made like the larger metal handled svords. The metal was too thin. I didn't like those screws either myself. Much as I love svord peasants I can't recommend the metal handle ones. I did get to make an improved model toward the end of the time I worked in machining. Really wish I could have made a couple more.

WClBTfk.jpg

GnU9CbZ.jpg

Tmzn7a2.jpg

The way to solve the tang issue is to carry a svord upright in your pocket with a clipped pocket slip. Since the slip stays in your pocket, it can be ugly. A glasses case with a stitch run up vertically and the excess trimmed off works well.

4i33c8I.jpg

The micro was made like the larger metal handled svords. The metal was too thin. I didn't like those screws either myself. Much as I love svord peasants I can't recommend the metal handle ones. I did get to make an improved model toward the end of the time I worked in machining. Really wish I could have made a couple more.

WClBTfk.jpg

GnU9CbZ.jpg

Tmzn7a2.jpg
Nice work, Sir!

I took the knife apart and really looked at it and I've decided I'm going to see if I can get a small green linen micarta scale and pin to the tang and make this thing a little fixed blade . The blade came about as sharp as a slab of warm butter , no discernible bevel profile. It's going to take some work getting this thing into shape but it'll get there.

Last edited:
Back