Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

Ragnerok -- That is sweet my friend. Ain't no INFI Ratweiler, but sweet none-the-less.

Ragnerok -- That is sweet my friend. Ain't no INFI Ratweiler, but sweet none-the-less.

I think this is the closest we'll get to an INFI Ratweiler bruddah :cool:

attachment.php

The perfect Swamp Rat knife for me is the RatManDu CG in SR101. IMO, it's the best bang-for-the-buck utility fixed-blade on Planet Earth. Given how long it's been in the Swamp Rat lineup, I'd say I'm not alone in feeling that way.

Last edited:
Personally i think the Ratweiler (and the Chopweiler) is one of the best looking choppers to come from the Swamp (and Busse). Had a Chopweiler once, but unfortunetly i had to trade it away, due to the fact that it didnt suit my mittens...

The EU design from Busse, as stated by snwbrdr, comes very close in design, but suits me much better than the Chopweiler handles. Simply loves them EU`s...

Magnum EU-17, 11/28:
ZZodk3kl.jpg
vd299z5l.jpg

If an INFI Ratmandu is $400? (were they?) An INFI Ratweiler would prolly be...$850?

If an INFI Ratmandu is $400? (were they?) An INFI Ratweiler would prolly be...$850?

Ganza prices for INFI RMD were 247-267 depending on handle material.

Ratweiler is in same size groum as TGLB, so INFI version would be around $400.

Man tough choice. I have more Rats than any other company in my knife collection. My most used are swamp warden and camp tramp. Great combo right there.

You can never judge the secondary market price from some of these flippers on here and evilbay. We have too many flippers posing as dealers and it tends to skew the value a lot. There is only one certified Busse dealer and that is Thatmguy (Hammy) and he never marks up, ever. That speaks volumes.

Second, I have abused both SR101 and INFI to a severe degree and honestly, they match each other very well. Even under slightly severe conditions you wont notice the difference. If your main worry is rust resistance, its not an issue honestly. A little care goes a long way. Its not worth the mark up for the high end steel to simply get rust resistance.

You can never judge the secondary market price from some of these flippers on here and evilbay. We have too many flippers posing as dealers and it tends to skew the value a lot. There is only one certified Busse dealer and that is Thatmguy (Hammy) and he never marks up, ever. That speaks volumes.

Second, I have abused both SR101 and INFI to a severe degree and honestly, they match each other very well. Even under slightly severe conditions you wont notice the difference. If your main worry is rust resistance, its not an issue honestly. A little care goes a long way. Its not worth the mark up for the high end steel to simply get rust resistance.

Compared to other steels INFI leaves me wanting. I find SR101 and good 3V (like Fehrmans) do 99.9% of what INFI does the only difference in my eyes is corrosion resistance and a price increase of at least 1/3.

As far as dealers go I really need to make the hour drive to Columbus to meet Hammy at one of his shows.

For the price 52100 is my favorite steel. But if all steels were as easily obtainable and cost the same id do more with 3V, Vanadis 4E, and PD1.

3V heat treated by Peter's heat treat is some awesome stuff. I have some of it with Dan's HT protocols, excellent stuff.

Vanadis 4 Extra is CRAZY awesome, one of Dan's comp cutters at the BladeSports event when i got certified got beat on like crazy. By EVERYONE. It had no issues what so ever being pound through all types of stuff even with a VERY thin edge.. Good luck finding Vanadis 4E though.

I have used INFI and had no problems for the most part, but i also got some small chips on the edge of a NMFSH in a few spots towards the tip on some knotty hardwood. Despite the claims it doesnt chip. I took my chopweiler to that same piece of knotty wood and turned it to sawdust no issues. I have batoned through stuff with my choppy that would clearly be considered abuse and never had an issue. I even once accidentally dropped it tip first onto concrete from around 30" high... I was worried until i inspected the tip... Not a single little chip. My choppy has been put through the test and passed everything i have thrown at it. Perfect swamp rat knife? Thats it as far as im concerned.

I have had no issues with sr101 what so ever. I have used an RMD to chop a tree into sections for firewood just to prove it could do it and it had no issues there either. I have used a scrapivore to pry like crazy and only worn the coating. I have personally had better luck with SR101. Even if they costs the same id stick with SR101. Granted i do like some of the designs Busse pumps out, but if there was an option for them to be in sr101 id like em even more. Sr101 is good kool-aid.

Vanadis 4E and PD1 are two steels I would really like to give a run, also Sleipner really has my interests peaked as well but until they are priced the same as SR101 I will stick to my Rats.

Although maybe I will bite the bullet save up for a custom in some outrageous steel.

Do all those other steels carry the Busse/Swamp Rat warranty? Do they treat you like family? I'm not trying to be snarky at all but hey, you have got to love their warranty? That and the fact of them holding and in some cases, INCREASING in value?
Yea, I'm hooked.

Do all those other steels carry the Busse/Swamp Rat warranty? Do they treat you like family? I'm not trying to be snarky at all but hey, you have got to love their warranty? That and the fact of them holding and in some cases, INCREASING in value?
Yea, I'm hooked.

I have no doubt that a custom knife maker worth there weight would back any knife they make. However I doubt they would warrant against abuse which I have no issue with given the fact custom makers put "more" into each knife. While I think everyone that frequents this sub forum knows I am a huge fan of Rats but none of the Busse family of knives are hand made like a custom maker does one at a time. A custom knife sold for $400 has much less profit in it than a $400 Busse does. I also think custom knives from known makers hold value just as well if not better than the Busse family of knives do.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm hooked.

Ok... Remember you asked!

Swamp rat does... And what we are saying is some of us prefer SR101 over INFI.... This is the swamp rat sub-forum after all. Busse has its side to rave about INFI. Some of us rats have experienced both and have our preference with good reasons.

As far as the other steels mentioned, we are talking steels, not companies/people using said steels. No steel itself comes with a warranty that it will not break or be replaced if it does.

As far as my comp cutter goes from Dan though.. Id say yes it comes with just as awesome of a warranty. In fact he tuned it up and put a better edge on it before the competition, then re-profiled my chopweiler that he DOESN'T MAKE, then delivered them both in person without charging me a dime.... and then he trained and certified me for BladeSports. Id say thats a damn good "warranty" :D

As far as treating you like family... How often does anyone from Busse call you just to chit chat? Not when its time to pay a bill... just call out the blue just to see how your doing and whats going on in your life? Im betting the only time you get a call is when its time to give up some money. What about PM back and forth with you just to joke around? Has Busse ever sent you a knife for free? How about Jerry? has he ever engraved a knife with his signature and sent it to you for no reason what so ever? At the shows do they give damn near everyone a free knife? Does anyone get a free knife? Oh yea they get the "opportunity" to buy a knife LMAO!!

I have dealt with a couple custom makers that talk to me even when im not spending money... Seems like family to me. I have a BK2 That Ethan Becker took out of his own collection, engraved his name on it, and mailed it to me, having never even talked to me. There are gatherings at Ethan's house where everyone can go hang out with him for a weekend, have chopping and fire competitions, eat great foods, and lots of free knives are given out.. Just for being a fan of the knives. These people make WAY WAY less money than Jerry busse does, but do a lot more for the fans of their knives. They maybe cant afford to replace every knife that some idiot breaks abusing it, but they treat you like family even when your broke and cant afford to give them any money.

What im saying is, its easy to be treated like "family" when the end goal is to make hundreds if not thousands of dollars from you. But is that really family? Are you ever invited to their house? Can you call them up just to talk about your weekend? Do they call you up just to see how you are doing? Family does.

As far as increasing value.... If im looking to take chances on making profits ill look into the stock market. When it comes to knives, i want ones that perform best for ME. If i sell them then i either didnt like it.... or I had no choice and im going to take what i can get.

Now despite how this may sound im a HUGE swamp rat fan. I like them because they make very ergonomical knives for the most part, and use great steel, and have an amazing warranty, But really its the members that keep me around the forums. We are family. Magoo, elof, PK, Andy, HK, Ian, Carl, DB, PK2, DT... And the rest of my swamp rat brothers make it feel like family.

I have no doubt that a custom knife maker worth there weight would back any knife they make. However I doubt they would warrant against abuse which I have issue with given the fact custom makers put "more" into each knife. While I think everyone that frequents this sub forum knows I am a huge fan of Rats but none of the Busse family of knives are hand made like a custom maker does one at a time. A custom knife sold for $400 has much less profit in it than a $400 Busse does. I also think custom knives from known makers hold value just as well if not better than the Busse family of knives do.

:thumbup: Me and you think a lot alike!!

worldwood said:
Now despite how this may sound im a HUGE swamp rat fan. I like them because they make very ergonomical knives for the most part, and use great steel, and have an amazing warranty, But really its the members that keep me around the forums. We are family. Magoo, elof, PK, Andy, HK, Ian, Carl, DB, PK2, DT... And the rest of my swamp rat brothers make it feel like family.

Spot on, brother :thumbup:

Very well said Worldwood, very well said.

I like what I like, and learned a very valuable lesson a while back, never assume anything and its all about the money.

I have no doubt that a custom knife maker worth there weight would back any knife they make. However I doubt they would warrant against abuse which I have no issue with given the fact custom makers put "more" into each knife. While I think everyone that frequents this sub forum knows I am a huge fan of Rats but none of the Busse family of knives are hand made like a custom maker does one at a time. A custom knife sold for $400 has much less profit in it than a $400 Busse does. I also think custom knives from known makers hold value just as well if not better than the Busse family of knives do.

OK, you all got me...kinda. I thought you were talking about the steels themselves. Not a specific maker AND the steel. I would hope a maker worth his salt would back any steel/knife he sells. And no, Jerry doesn't call me and ask me my opinion on scotch or steel. But they do back what they sell. And if I knew I was headed out into the wild blue yonder with my pick of one knife???

ALSO, I'd hope if one of you guys were cut, that your blood would have a swampy kinda smell to it?

Back