Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

The BG's were advertised as 3/16", same as the 1311. The CG's in INFI were originally spec'd at 1/4", but prior to release Jerry annouced the CG's would be surface ground a bit thinner for better handling, which was the right move imo.

Here's the old announcment thread if you're interested:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/busse-combat-proudly-introduces-the-bb13.1392705/

That's good to know, I avoided the BB13 because I really didn't want a 1/4" hunk of steel that was 13" long. I've tried the monster chopper thing before with a HI kuhkri and besides splitting wood, it was too much for me. Swinging down into stuff was fine, it was the lateral cuts that killed me. I couldn't control it either. 3/16" is the perfect all-around chopping thickness, IMO. Light enough to swing for hours but still sturdy enough to properly abuse. Of course, SR101 is tougher than nails too, so that helps.

Great working tools. I have one more bigg-ish chopper that isn't a Busse or kin, but the quality is there still. It's very mildly angled kuhkri from GL Drew. Bought it after nearly ripping my arm off with a tram latin machete that was clearly not up to the task of chopping vines (shared them in an earlier post, as thick as a ratweiler). I had the 1311 with me but the darn vines kept rolling off the front. Now that I have the BB13, I bet I could make a mess of those things.

I think the best part about this hobby is buying stuff and trying it, making memories along the way. Eventually, add some people in there for the camaraderie and it's a time well-spent.

The beasts after I cleaned them up.
gAqYMIyl.jpg

That's good to know, I avoided the BB13 because I really didn't want a 1/4" hunk of steel that was 13" long...

Yeah, I was glad they slimmed down the CG's, it's still a lot to handle.

How well does that Marbles bolo sheath work for the BB13? I've looked at it but never pulled the trigger. Still rocking the tactical cardboard on mine lol.

Yeah, I was glad they slimmed down the CG's, it's still a lot to handle.

How well does that Marbles bolo sheath work for the BB13? I've looked at it but never pulled the trigger. Still rocking the tactical cardboard on mine lol.

It works reasonably well, but the sheath is longer than stated, or I misread it. It covers up some of the handle but it's better than nothing by a long shot and fits my price range, since the sheaths for these monsters are pretty darn pricey. Takes a lot of material I suppose.

Here's some pics of that to give you an idea of the sizing. I decided to snap one of the rest of my big chopping tools, sans axes and the basic latin machete. I haven't used the baryonyx machete yet, but I like what I see so far. I'm hoping that is a dedicated vine destroyer, among other things, when packability isn't a concern.
qsf8sy4l.jpg

aa5ACjfl.jpg

keJKuLPl.jpg

y6oMHcJl.jpg

Thanks man, that's great info. I'll probably pick one up soon.

That khukri looks badass btw, and I've eyed the baryonyx for a while too. :)

Thanks man, that's great info. I'll probably pick one up soon.

That khukri looks badass btw, and I've eyed the baryonyx for a while too. :)

The maker did a fantastic job. It's kind of everything I wish a BK4 was, if you've ever tried on of those. I love the forged look on the flats. It hits really hard but the balance is still pretty decent for repeated blows.

OYK6Adkl.jpg

Any of you guys have a vex or other Busse kin in d2? I'm looking at a vex and unsure how they did on the HT. I assume it was good, but even on a Busse, how much abuse can one subject to D2. Certainly, perfectly adequate for normal uses.

Damn you!
Now I'll have to embark on a search of my Vex! (that's gonna be a bit of a task in my current state of disorder...)

Jerry, initially if I remember the story right, went to D2 for making after a bike accident and chopping the bike...
The D2 from the compound is perfectly fine for normal use, Vex was named by many a folk as their skinning knife of choice over the years.

And just to throw a spanner in the works, there's a newer version of Vex in SR-101, and even a Mini Vex...

Those are nice. The neutral handle is a big draw for me. I like some of the Busse flare, but sometimes a nice, simple look and feel a blessing to use. I may need to do some more searching, the deal I was working on earlier fell through last night, and it's a pattern that I think would be nice to have. I see them ever so often so I suppose I just need to wait it out.

That orange one... Mmmm... I like orange.

Uncle Timbo took his favorite chopper out today and let her go. The ol girl loves to take big bites and I just let her go and eat all she wanted. More pics to come later.
20190718-142926.jpg

Anybody know what kind of fungi this is?

Last edited:
Uncle Timbo took his favorite chopper out today and let her go. The ol girl loves to take big bites and I just let her go and eat all she wanted. More pics to come later.
20190718-142926.jpg

Yes! Good to see you're able to get out and sing her about. How did the shoulder take the abuse? Maybe not as well as the ratweiler but hopefully it's up to the task?

I like the accessory :thumbsup:. BE approved

Starting to get back to that time of year when the weather and insects are more tolerable. I didn't get the infiweiler out today as it ended up being 100% machete work today. But, I got some pictures of the greenery and a few wildlife in the swamps of Michigan.

View from the backyard
E7HZNetl.jpg

Tunnel of green to the creek
VAtltZyl.jpg

Passing through my little camp/work area
sLSvv37l.jpg

Checking out some snails on the way through
TITYd5sl.jpg

ZmxjLXol.jpg

erM0Itwl.jpg

Lots of berries on the trees and plenty of flowers around too. Could hear the birds eating the berries but it was too thick to see them.
FUaI1eEl.jpg

Z6SmpMdl.jpg

At the 1st log bridge and the creek.
6i5y8Tll.jpg

Some of the plants along the creek
A66kszPl.jpg

qaCgNE2l.jpg

XylWtRvl.jpg

Ah, finally found my final destination, my main log bridge.
yRhUtM2l.jpg

pMdahQil.jpg

And this very green dragonfly graced me with his presence. Very cool little creatures. Dark black wings. Not sure I've seen this color combo before, but it's pretty close to the ratweiler (haven't stripped it yet).
a3kV0rLl.jpg

aHpjvarl.jpg

KL4hSCcl.jpg

BE, I feel like I was there. We went to the MIL'S and one evening we watched 3 doe, a 6 pt buck in velvet and two fawns out in the neighbors horse pasture. The fawns were playing like a couple of puppies just coming into their own. It was a Countrytime Lemonade commercial.

Beautiful! I wish we had more whitetail here.
Dave, theres one road that veeres off and comes back into the main road. It's about a mile or so long. If you take that road in the late evening and don't see 30 to 40 deer, you weren't looking. Wild turkeys also. Grazing on the hillside like cows.

Dave, theres one road that veeres off and comes back into the main road. It's about a mile or so long. If you take that road in the late evening and don't see 30 to 40 deer, you weren't looking. Wild turkeys also. Grazing on the hillside like cows.

Awesome ^. Where I grew up about three hours north of here, we used to make bets as kids when we'd go to town. You'd always see about 60 whitetail deer between the house and the five/six-mile drive to town, so we'd bet over 60/under 60 for candy :D I'm in SW Idaho now, and it's mostly muledeer here, and not many of those, although we have a lot of elk and turkey. But I get to missing the whitetails, that's what I grew up on.

Awesome ^. Where I grew up about three hours north of here, we used to make bets as kids when we'd go to town. You'd always see about 60 whitetail deer between the house and the five/six-mile drive to town, so we'd bet over 60/under 60 for candy :D I'm in SW Idaho now, and it's mostly muledeer here, and not many of those, although we have a lot of elk and turkey. But I get to missing the whitetails, that's what I grew up on.
If I could talk the WVDNR into it, I'd rent a big Uhaul and bring some out! We could trade, Whitetails for Elk? 2 for 1 sound fair? :)

Back