Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

My personal favorite Rat is my RMD Proto. Perfect size and superb ergos. I love it!!!

I wonder if when I get my next Rat I can get them to engrave SR101 > INFI on it?!?!?

If someone told me they would give me any two knives from any of the Busse shops it would be a Choppy and a RMD. I haven't found anything from the Busse shop that is better than those two in their size ranges. I also don't really have a use for a knife over 8 inches either because past that I am an axe man.
Oh man! That would be a hoot! There used to be a computer controlled engraver at the mall....... I wonder...... :D

mmmmm, Chop Mastiff! Dreams.

I have an etcher, could make a stencil up and do it to my chopweiler LMAO

Id have to do it on the bevel though, dont want to strip the flats.

Some years ago, when i got my first RMD, black paper/black blade, i was amazed by how goot it felt in the hand. Ever since i have allways whished that they would release an Infi version, not that i`m not satisfied with the SR-101 RMD, but just to make this allready perfect handling 5" blade THE perfect knife. Finally they did and now i got it, the Infi version (in coyote G-10 this time - not tan canvas ;)). Actually, if i ever should call a knife THE perfect knife, or the perfect Swamp Rat knife, this is it....But, wouldn`t mind a M7 :D

izWPcpcl.jpg

Since there is now an INFI version of the RMD I'd love to see a side by side comparison in performance.

A few years ago I was fortunate to have some time in a deer camp, we skinned and processed quite a few animals that season, I'd wager nearly 100. This gave me the rare opportunity to test out some knives. One thing I discovered:

INFI vs SR101, SR101 literally walked away with the edge retention on fibrous materials.

INFI shone in the chopping of bone and sinew.

SR77 is good for choppers, bad for slicers. I've never had to stop and sharpen a knife so many times in one animal.

Pig, especially big pig is the best test of a knife edge ever. That hair is ridiculously strong and abrasive.

A hand forged skinner, by a known master smith (though the doofus cant remember the maker) was simply stunning in both appearance and performance. But that is another discussion.

For what it's worth I own 3 Ratmandus 2 in INFI and 1 in SR-101. The Infis have a 0 degree convex edge I believe. The Infis cut better and all 3 knives are all REALLY sharp. I am doing a comparison of them verses my GSO 5.1 and my Blackheart Gunner 10 to try to figure out which will be my #1 camping/utility knife. But I really like the infi Ratmandu' size, weight, ergonomics, how they cut, etc....so there's my $0.02.

For what it's worth I own 3 Ratmandus 2 in INFI and 1 in SR-101. The Infis have a 0 degree convex edge I believe. The Infis cut better and all 3 knives are all REALLY sharp. I am doing a comparison of them verses my GSO 5.1 and my Blackheart Gunner 10 to try to figure out which will be my #1 camping/utility knife. But I really like the infi Ratmandu' size, weight, ergonomics, how they cut, etc....so there's my $0.02.

Looking forward to the conclusion of this comparison. Pics?

The RMD is probably the best multi purpose knife. I had previously used a coated RMD along with a folder to skin a Deer. This past Saturday, I bagged a 3 point and used my Infimandu for the whole job and it performed fine.It is a true multi purpose knife.Made some back straps for Supper and used the Infimandu to slice some thin peices to fry. It was yummy!

I am also going to throw in a Koster MUCK as well. So far the 5.1 is the best cutter and the Blackheart Gunner has by far the best handle and scales. It really feels part of my hand. I wish the GSO had 1/10th the fell of the Blackheart or at least the texturing that Steve V uses on his knives. It would really improve a great knife. The INFI Ratmandus have the best G10 handles I've ever used. More later.

It is just as unfair as it's availability.

I think even with M7 out in the opened, Chopweiler would be still better choice in that size.

But Elof its simply not fair to compare anything to the Chopweiler at least when it comes to a wilderness use knife. I do think the M7 just based on design alone would edge it out in a situation that might call for it to be used in a defensive role.

But Elof its simply not fair to compare anything to the Chopweiler at least when it comes to a wilderness use knife. I do think the M7 just based on design alone would edge it out in a situation that might call for it to be used in a defensive role.

The Swamp MUST release the M7! Its the only way we will ever know...

I got another deer Sunday. I used the infimandu to skin this one out again. I then processed the other deer cutting a lot of it into thin strips for frying and/or deer jerky. The infimandu needs a good stropping but the edge held up pretty good. The SR 101 may hold a edge longer from what I have read.

Right now, this is the perfect Swamp rat knife to me...My new to me Rat Shaker, as i just got from BF member TALON158 - Thx. buddy :thumbup::D

spDt1TYl.jpg

Back