Swamprat Rodent 4 and friends, including the Busse Basic 4!

well I just got the SwampRat 4 and its not a bad little blade. The edge was sharp by Alex. It is not hair shaving sharp but it will cut paper fairly well.

Here she is.

CIMG0496.jpg

Here are the specs:

Name: Rodent 4
Blade Length: 4 5/8"
OAL: 9 1/2"
Steel: SR-101
Hardness: 58-60 RC
Thickness: 3/16"
Handles: Black Canvas Micarta
Blade Width: Approx 1 1/4"
Grind: Flat Saber

The handle has the new Swamprat bumb. I found it comfortable on the Swamprat Rodent 9 despite its looks. To me it really shines when you use the rounded choil for close work. I have large hands and the handle on the Swamprat 4 feels a little small at first, but then gets comfortable. I think its just getting used to a new design.

The fit and finish are classic Bussekin. No issues at all. the blade finish is black with the Swamp Rat logo on it and the canvas micarta handles held on with three three rivets. A laynard hole is at the pommel which is rounded off for a nice overall fit.

Overall just on a desktop review I like this little knife. :thumbup:

We will see how it does outdoors.

Ill post some pics when I can

Ok here it is with some similar sized knives so you can get an idea of its size.

First is the Swamprat Rodent 9 and the Rodent 4, note the same design of the handle

CIMG0481.jpg

Next from top to bottom are the Blind Horse Knives Woodsman Pro, The Becker BK 16, The Swamprat Rodent 4, one of the most beautiful knives in my opinion, a Backwoods Knives custom, my favorite user, a Scrapyard Dumpster Mutt Le, and the new Scrapyard 311.

CIMG0483.jpg

Here are the fantastic Busse Basic 4 tan, the Swamprat Rodent 4, and the Esee 4.

CIMG0485.jpg

Here it is in hand. Now I have big hands and with gloves the handles are snug but not uncomfortable. These gloves are stiff heavy leather, so lighter softer gloves should feel much better, think deer skin gloves.

CIMG0487.jpg

CIMG0488.jpg

Here is a handle shot of the Busse Basic 4 tan, Swamprat Rodent 4, and Esee 4

CIMG0491.jpg

Here is a close up on the blade thickness of the above.

CIMG0493.jpg

As requested here are some handle shots with the larger Swamprat Rodent 9 to show the contours of the handles including the bump.

CIMG0497.jpg

CIMG0498.jpg

CIMG0500.jpg

CIMG0501-1.jpg

Here it is with the Fallkniven F1, another great little bushcraft knife.

CIMG0502.jpg

And here is a shot, (no pun intended) of the Scrapyard War Dog, Swamprat Rodent 4, and a jar of somewhat decent Moonshine. Not as good as the backwoods still kind, but its easier to get and available in regular White Lightning or Moonshine.

CIMG0495.jpg

take care

sar

Last edited:
very nice, I can not wait for mine to get here.

How is the hump ?

Thanks for posting the pics!

Any chance you could post a picture from the "top-down" point of view? I would love to see the handle contour, especially next to the Rodent 9, from that angle.

Honesty, if it didnt have that bump mid grip... I'd be all over this beast

I know it might not look it but, that is the most comfortable bump in a handle.:thumbup:

It provides for three different grips too:)

I wonder how good of a slicer it is, how thin the shoulder right before the edge ,maybe compared to a ratmandu. I have noticed Swamp Rat tends to have thicker edges than comparable size knives.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Any chance you could post a picture from the "top-down" point of view? I would love to see the handle contour, especially next to the Rodent 9, from that angle.

I added what you requested I believe. Let me know if you need something else.

The hump takes a bit to get used to but it is not uncomfortable. I thought it would be but I like the Rodent 9 and this is very similar. I would say take a chance.

Thanks! That is exactly what I was hoping to see. Looks like a great knife.

I got mine today too. I love it. The bump is in a great location. I think it actually improves my grip instead of deterring from it.

Great pics sar5 ! Thanks for the review - some sweet blades there, for sure ! ;)

Thanks for the pics against the ruler. I wanted to buy one to mod the handle and cut new slabs all the way to the blade edge, eliminating the choil. Now I see I have to wait until there is a R5 or R6 as the choil eats up a full 1 inch of the blade. If I do the mod it makes the blade the same length as the RS.

Had a chance to play with some rats the other day. The Rodent 4 is a sweet little blade. While having a different look, the handle is extremely comfortable and provides a wide variey of grip options. The Rats did a great job with the Rodent 4. If you are on the fence i would recommend giving it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Garth

Great lookin' blades there! I love the handle of the R4... sooo comfortable :thumbup:

The bump is what I like best about my R4. That handle on a skinny b4 would be incredible. Don't knock it till you try it. You may like it :)

Say Heah Guy, I really like my Rodent 4 it's alot of knife for that size knife, a real good one. But I also paired it off with my Rodent 7, it's a great combo with a Saw I could do just about anything with this trio. If I need to process alot of wood to stay warm in cold weather, a Hatchet (2Hawks Double Bit Hatchet) completes everything I need to do. Then all my bases are civered

Back