Swapping Handles/Scales (mostly done now)

I want to swap the Magnum scales from my CGFBM to my HHFSH (and vice versa)
I don't know what I don't know.
I am ok with both of them ending up stripped through needing to fine tune the fit from the swap.
Should I go back with flared tubing? screws? solid or mosiac pins?

Is there anyone who is experienced at doing the flared tubing out there I could send them to, scales off and stripped? I bet it'd be cheaper and less headache than tracking down tooling and learning the technique.

There's a good chance that the scales would swap over with minimal fitting. I've done scale swaps that lined up seamlessly on their new bearer, and have had others that involved more fitting than I expected from two knives of the same pattern.

For example, a snakeskin CGFBM donated it's slabs to my MOABM, and they fit as perfectly as possible. Couldn't even catch a fingernail anywhere on the seam.

On the other hand, a friend wanted the tigerhides from his FBM LE put onto his fatty NMFSH and it would have needed enough that the it would have required partially squaring off the round nuke treatment on the pommel and spine to match the depth of the fitment grinding. It still could have been done, but we decided not to. I just made him a set of black canvas scales from scratch instead. With two square edged knives like your CGFBM and HHFSH there wouldn't be that issue.

Here's the story so far.
Drilled out the tubes with a sharp 1/4" and used threaded round sleeves and some flat head screws.
The scales are just a touch undersize on the CGFBM and just a touch over on the HHFSH. Not enough to keep you from using either one- just enough to catch a fingernail on.
I'll blend them to match when I strip the HHFSH.

Here's the story so far.
Drilled out the tubes with a sharp 1/4" and used threaded round sleeves and some flat head screws.
The scales are just a touch undersize on the CGFBM and just a touch over on the HHFSH. Not enough to keep you from using either one- just enough to catch a fingernail on.
I'll blend them to match when I strip the HHFSH.

Nicely done.

Random question, are all busse/kin handle tubes the same diameter?

Park Ranger has smaller diameter handle tubes for sure. But it is the only model that comes to mind.

Are you sure about that? Only asking because I haven't had a Park Ranger, and the only Busse I've come across that had anything other than 1/4" holes in the tang are slotted Corby bolt (or smooth where the slot was removed during finishing) from before the switch to tube fasteners which had a 7/32" hole.

I'm curious to see if they are indeed different. If you'd be willing to check and have an assortment of drill bits available, a 1/4" factory tube will fit an 11/64" bit inside, but not a 3/16".

Back