Swell-Lock product usage result

Hello axemen! About month ago while reading AN AX TO GRIND: A Practical Ax Manual-USDA Forest Service and the subsequent video during the fitting of a haft to the eye of the axe it mentioned a product called Swel-Lock and they were using it in the kerf before the wooden wedge is installed. In theory Swel-Lock would be absorbed into the fibers of the wood and cause them to swell making an even tighter haft to eye fit. I set out to acquire some of this product and did indeed get some delivered via the USPS in a couple of days.

I have two of the half hatchet type of carpenter's hatchet both made by Plumb one old and rusty with a rotted haft and the other old and in pretty good condition except the haft to eye fit wiggles, maybe 3/16 inch up and down measured at the toe. Just enough to be very annoying! Remembering the Swel-Lock and following the directions on the label I dribbled some on the top of the haft and waited an hour longer than the recommended 2 hours (frankly, I forgot about it). I can now report that the fit is very tight and no wobbling can be detected by me. I will do some chopping with it tomorrow just to see if it will loosen up any, although I do not expect that to happen. I suspect the same effect could be had with automobile anti-freeze made with ethylene glycol. As I recall the anti-freeze will not evaporate and the ph should be fairly neutral to avoid any corrosive effects on automobile cooling systems. The advertisement on Amazon mentions Swel-Lock's intended use is to swell the dowels used in chairs to keep them from coming apart as the wood dries out over time. The two ounce bottle of Swel-Lock I have will likely last longer than I will and the next loose haft will get some anti-freeze just to see how it will work. I am glad to have tried this product.

Interesting and thanks for the report! There's some members who swear by it! I have yet to use it as I've had satisfactory results using blo.
I wonder, if Harry clipper doesn't mind my tagging a question on to his thread, if someone could share what differences they can report between using blo or swell lock?

I think it's been mentioned here before that it's just dipropylene glycol.

Funny ancillary thought, propylene glycol is abundant these days due to the vaping trend. Also is a carrier for CBD oil. I wonder if propylene glycol would work? (No I don't vape lol) Could be an even chiller alternative than anti-freeze :D

Interesting and thanks for the report! There's some members who swear by it! I have yet to use it as I've had satisfactory results using blo.
I wonder, if Harry clipper doesn't mind my tagging a question on to his thread, if someone could share what differences they can report between using blo or swell lock?
Be my guest and ask away Josh. I seem to remember an axe head upside down in a plastic bag some time back and wondered if it was soaking in blo or some 12 year old scotch?

Back