Swick

I only have one Spyderco, and it's rare that I get excited about the new releases. That being said, I'm really excited for the Swick. A small fixed blade in LC200N with a finger hole? Sign me up!

The product description says it was designed for self defense, and I'm sure it's great for that with the wharncliffe blade and finger retention, but I'm most excited to put it on my boat. The near rust impervious steel, the finger hole, lanyard hole, and Spyderedge will make it perfect to clip to my life vest as an emergency safety cutter, and I'll probably buy the plain edge version as a general utility cutter. Maybe I'll even try EDCing it, though I wouldn't really want to use it for its intended purpose of self defense without significant training. (I might be interested in learning if they come out with a trainer though, seems like making a trainer for a purpose designed self defense knife would be a good idea.)

Didn't Spyderco make a knife with a finger hole as part of their salt line a while ago? I seem to remember seeing one in a catalog maybe a decade ago.

It's actually the Swick 5/6. The Swick is an older model, I have most of the previous variations (missing an updated Swick 1 and the Swick 2). The main difference here is they are giving you options on the finger hole size, although it's the same profile otherwise.

As for that other Salt model, it's the Caspian Salt, which was a diving knfie that was like a Swick on steroids.

Hi Silent H,

I was always impressed with Fred Perrin's "Finger Ring" as a way of having better retention. Fred designed the original as he was working on scaffolding and the Ring allowed him to hold onto the knife without putting it down and still have fingers free for other functions. Then Fred's "La Griffe" model was self defense evolution of that concept.

It really was/is a 20 yer project. My first design was the "SPOT" (Self Protection Option Tool). We made a Salt version (Caspian), We made a folding version, Eric's design (Bi-Fold), and then I began the Swick (Swift/Quick) series refining the concept little by little with each variation. I tried different blade shapes along the way. I finally decided on a Warncliffe blade from Mike Janich's influence and the Swick 5 was the end result. The "6" has a smaller hole for smaller fingers.

Once your finger is in the Ring, you can open your hand and use your fingers easily and safely. When locked in your fist, you are not likely to drop it....which is most important. The LC200N makes is easier to use a a neck knife without rust concerns. It will be delivered with 3 ways to carry it. Neck, clip on the sheath for belt carry, or you can have it in your pocket, with your finger already in the Ring and you can pop the sheath off while in your pocket with the TPO (Thumb Push Off) that SheathPro builds into the sheath. There will be plain and serrated versions of both sizes and each variation has its own sheath due to close tolerance.

sal

It really was/is a 20 yer project. My first design was the "SPOT" (Self Protection Option Tool). We made a Salt version (Caspian), We made a folding version, Eric's design (Bi-Fold), and then I began the Swick (Swift/Quick) series refining the concept little by little with each variation. I tried different blade shapes along the way. I finally decided on a Warncliffe blade from Mike Janich's influence and the Swick 5 was the end result. The "6" has a smaller hole for smaller fingers.

It's really interesting to hear about the design evolution there. I can't wait to get one and put it to use! Thanks!

It's actually the Swick 5/6. The Swick is an older model, I have most of the previous variations (missing an updated Swick 1 and the Swick 2). The main difference here is they are giving you options on the finger hole size, although it's the same profile otherwise.

As for that other Salt model, it's the Caspian Salt, which was a diving knfie that was like a Swick on steroids.
I would just love for Spyderco to do a Sprint Run of that CASPIAN Salt model diver's knife. It's one of the very few out of that era that I wasn't able to get my hands on at the time. A good friend of mine has had his since 2005 and he loves it dearly. I would love a Sprint Run SWICK in LC200N.

I would also love to have a SWICK in one of the newer/better blade steels. A Swick in S90V , Cruwear or 20V I would be all one in one of those blade steels.

On the topic of requests ;)

What about a Spydiechef model but as a fixed blade with Boltaron sheath with the same LC200N steel and sculpted G10 handle slabs.

So in the same kind of family as Clinton’s Waterway.

I guess I'm missing the connection between the Swick and the Waterway? I don't think I'd make the blade on the Swick much longer.

sal

I guess I'm missing the connection between the Swick and the Waterway? I don't think I'd make the blade on the Swick much longer.

If you're referring to my post, D Danke42 and I mentioned a fixed blade version of the SpydieChef with a slightly longer blade and G-10 handles (like the Waterway) would be welcome ;).

thanks

sal
Yes we're full on derailing this now to get a full size kitchen knife version of the Spidiechef, maybe with some touches like the the Murray Carter line.

But still LC200N so it's not completely new.

I'm eagerly awaiting the new Swick. My original Swick has been lashed to my backpack strap for quick defense while riding my bike at night, replacing my lost SPOT. If I had my druthers in improving the original Swick it would be a larger finger hole and a more rust-resistant steel, which is what the new one has.:thumbsup:

Hey JD,

Eric had mentioned that he would like to do a re-make of the Caspian.

sal
That's great news. I would be curious as to how that knife would do with LC200N. But if Eric wants to use H-1 I will be the last one to complain. It's one of the few fixed blades of that time period that I missed out on. But LC200N would be great for the plain edged section of the blade. Also either a stonewashed or black coated blade would also be cool.

Back