Swiss and Italian Knife Laws

I am going on a trip to Switzerland and Italy this summer. I don't want to have my knife confiscated as I go through customs or over a boarder. I hope to bring at least a Swiss army knife but I would like to bring a more competent blade because I will be doing a lot of hiking. I have read elsewhere on this forum that Switzerland has pretty relaxed knife laws, but Italy on the other hand...:(. Also does Switzerland allow locking blades like the Otario rat II? There seem to be no recent updates on the forum about the knife laws in these countries. Any information about Swiss or Italian knife law is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance:).

Can't really find much on Italy and Switzerland's knife laws at the moment. It appears the only types of knives that are prohibited in Switzerland are switchblades, balisongs, daggers and throwing knives, though they can apparently be lawfully obtained and possessed with a special permit. In Italy, it appears switchblades are okay to own but illegal to carry. Guess that info wouldn't help you since those aren't the types of knives you intend to carry. Seems like in most places in Europe, if a knife doesn't look too "weapon-ish," then it's okay for everyday use and carry.

Can't really find much on Italy and Switzerland's knife laws at the moment. It appears the only types of knives that are prohibited in Switzerland are switchblades, balisongs, daggers and throwing knives, though they can apparently be lawfully obtained and possessed with a special permit. In Italy, it appears switchblades are okay to own but illegal to carry. Guess that info wouldn't help you since those aren't the types of knives you intend to carry. Seems like in most places in Europe, if a knife doesn't look too "weapon-ish," then it's okay for everyday use and carry.
That's good to know I will try to find some more on italy.

Back