Swiss Army Knife modifications? Who, What, Where, When...HOW?

gunknifenut

KILJOY KutLery, hand made in Luling Texas
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
OK,
Who here is modding their SAK's? I see some pretty cool customs from time to time, are you buying these like this?
Or are you going ahead, and making the mods yourselves?
I will do a quick search, but if you have custom SAK's, I would love to see a thread with only custom SAK's in it.
So if you have one, take a pic and post it here.
Thanks, GKN

District1-20120314-00237.jpg

ash135.jpg

[youtube]tC3vSVPaPrY[/youtube]

[youtube]arG4zFFt6VU[/youtube]

I've put walrus ivory on the two I use as EDCs ( local laws make my leatherman wave illegal when not at work ).
I really hate those plastic scales :D
vic3.jpg

DSCF1041.JPG

DSCF1043.JPG

WOW. Those look pretty awesome guys and gals. Keep em comin!
I am thinking about taking a vintage I just got in trade, and customizing it. Taking out the Broken parts, thinning it out, and maybe giving it some red G-10 or something..
Great knives so far!

gunknifenut: Check out the sticky threads of the Swiss subforum over at multitool dot org. There's an instructional that says how to do it.

gunknifenut: Check out the sticky threads of the Swiss subforum over at multitool dot org. There's an instructional that says how to do it.

Thanks a lot!

I changed the scales on my handyman to G10 in coyote brown. I added additional tools into the scales (besides the toothpick and tweezers). New tools: firesteel, ballpoint pen, sewing needle, 14ga copper wire (enough for 3 fish hooks) for a total of 6. Also, I have 2ft of 4lb test leader material and a 3d nail as a punch (or whatever) in the corkscrew.

I would love to add scissors to my Farmer- it would make it perfect for my use.

Does anyone do this mod?
Where do I gets applies?
Where could I get instructions?
Particularly about removing and reinstalling the scales.

Though I've not done it, I've thought about modifying my Swiss Champ. It's a big tool, with lots of handy things, and the only thing I'd change is the blade itself, which is ok, but is very rarely used. A small prybar would be an excellent addition, made from a decent tough steel. I've bent the flat head screwdriver on fairly minor prying tasks.

Also, the pliers need carbide inserts like the Gerbers!

I find it interesting that most multitools use the same steel for all the tools. That makes no sense!

Back