Swiss Army Knife tip/ trick

I thought I’d share a trick/tip on how I have carried a needle and thread for years in my SAK. If this has been discussed before please ignore and my apologizes. Find a sewing needle that will fit in the gap between the inside of the hook and the back spring, take a couple of feet of sewing thread and tightly wrap it around the entire length of the needle, leaving only a 1/16th or so of the needle point exposed. Take a couple of thin/short strips of masking tape ( I used only a 1/8 or so or this strip to cover the pointed end) and secure the thread end in place with one and use the other to cover the exposed needle point.
F6D1C158-B5C6-4EDB-B45A-DEA17A41CC3E.jpeg
16154928-1F6F-4C0A-B622-977F67061CEF.jpeg
9614AB19-C5A1-455B-8749-8A4E3E27EB77.jpeg
9461243D-9AC8-4554-8FA1-5AF8E8B6E62D.jpeg
Be aware of the amount of tape used as it needs to fit in between the liners of the SAK. This carrying method has worked great for me. Just remember it’s there if you ever need to use the hook ( I never do). Hope this helps somebody! -Jon

A very nice trick.
Thanks for sharing!
Looks like you may have a few more neat tricks hidden in the corkscrew? Feel free to share.

Hickory n steel Hickory n steel , the pin hole you mentioned is only on some models, and if you used it with a sewing needle instead of a pin you may lose the needle.

A very nice trick.
Thanks for sharing!
Looks like you may have a few more neat tricks hidden in the corkscrew? Feel free to share.

Hickory n steel Hickory n steel , the pin hole you mentioned is only on some models, and if you used it with a sewing needle instead of a pin you may lose the needle.
Glad you like it. In the cork screw I have a fire ant mini ferro rod and waxed tinder, both made by Tortoise Gear, check them out they make some pretty cool items.

Well, I took a look and, I don't think they have much else to my personal interest, but I'll probably have to have me a pack of the FireAnts and Helix Tenders. That's a pretty cool design. Thanks for the info.

Back