Recommendation? Swiss Army Knife: Which One?

Guys I’m wanting to get a Swiss Army Knife but I went to the website and became sick at the sheer number and variety and colors of SAKs available there. I became weak in the knees, passed out, and woke up in a pool of my own vomit due to sensory overload.

Clearly, I need some help choosing the right one!! I’d like one in the color “red” as when I was a boy, that’s what they had. Red ones. Plus it’s my favorite color.

But guys, if you had to pick one, what is THE quintessential and most classic SAK available still? Not looking for a used. I want a classic example more as a collectibility thing but may carry it, maybe. Possibly.

HELP!!! :confused:

I guess the most classic is the Pioneer, based on the original soldiers SAK, you can get this one in plastic or alox scales, I carries this one for years but always needed a scissor so I switched to the Pioneer X. When I travel to the country or the beach I usually take the hunter or a bigger SAK, good luck choosing, take the tasks you do the more daily and choose the tools from there. You can always get one modded to your personal preference.

But guys, if you had to pick one, what is THE quintessential and most classic SAK available still? Not looking for a used. I want a classic example more as a collectibility thing but may carry it, maybe. Possibly.

I'm all for people having "safe queens" that they don't use. It's cool.

Never heard of someone wanting to do that with a new Vic SAK.

SAKs are all about which tools they contain and how those tools fit in with peoples' needs.

So, honestly, if you don't care what the tools are, get whichever one appeals to you. We can't know what appeals to you.

Get a "Classic"....it's classic?

I favor the Victorinox Officer's Model with scissors and saw (no to mention the all-essential corkscrew). My buddy figures the saw helped save his life when stranded on a sand bar on the upper Skeena River in northern BC one chilly October. He said it's surprising how much firewood you can cut with just a SAK.

Guys I’m wanting to get a Swiss Army Knife but I went to the website and became sick at the sheer number and variety and colors of SAKs available there. I became weak in the knees, passed out, and woke up in a pool of my own vomit due to sensory overload.

Clearly, I need some help choosing the right one!! I’d like one in the color “red” as when I was a boy, that’s what they had. Red ones. Plus it’s my favorite color.

I buy and give Victorinox Cadets more often than anything else. Seems to be more useful more of the time. Small enough to be unobtrusive, even on a keychain, but large enough to handle most tasks. Comes in red.

victorinox-cadet-pocket-knife-2018-limited-berry-red-alox-swiss-army-knives-5029-p.jpg

SAK Executive and the Pioneer, always ride in the front right pocket, always used every day.
G2

When it come to EDC, the cadet or pioneer Alox lines are direct descendants from the historic Swiss Army Knife and are great lightweight tools.
On the other hand, if you are looking for that toolbox idea of 1 knife with dozens of tools that you keep on your desk to do what not, I suggest a Cybertool, or a Champion. They are a bit heavy to EDC, but are great examples of the multitude of cool features you can find in a SAK.
SAK_1_7775_T__S1.jpg

Short answer: Farmer for the woods, Electrician for EDC.

Farmer on account of the saw. I have used it, and it works a lot better than the saws on some other folders. Electrician, for the sheepsfoot and punch, and because it is only two rows.

SAK scissors don’t work for me. I have a handful sitting on the shelf with broken springs. I had a Wenger with scissors that I liked, but I can’t find it. Now I carry a Micra for its scissors, so I can exclude scissors as a consideration in selecting a SAK.

To open wine, I have seen the video of the crazy Russian who uses a knife blade to pull his corks. I have tried it. For as often as I drink wine, it works well enough that I can also leave out the corkscrew.

For years I shied away from Alox, but now I like it. There are tweezers on the Micra, and my pockets bristle with plastic toothpicks of the French tickler variety, so I have no need for the plastic scales.

Obviously, your choices will be different. If you will not carry it every day, then you will be meeting your tool needs some other way, so you are free to go minimalist and pick the Cadet.

Last edited:
Get one of the limited Berry Red Alox Cadet, Pioneer, or Classic, from last year. Still available from many BF supporting dealers.

That way you get the collectability thing, your favorite color and they will be very useful as well, should you choose to do so.

If I could only own one Swiss Army Knife...

Without a doubt it would be the out of production Swiss Army Yeoman. As far as I'm concerned, it's the greatest Swiss Army Knife ever produced. Extremely useful toolset in a very pocketable form factor. Good luck finding one at a reasonable price though. :(

1. Yeoman
2.SAK soldier w/fibrox scales ~1950's or so
3. Soldat
4.Compact
5.Wenger diplomat
6.waiter
These will keep you for a while and set you back about 350 usd. Total
Or you could spend about 12.00 on a SAK Spartan and be perfectly happy. Which is what I would do.

Back