Swiss Army-minimum tools

My Micra has better scissors, a tweezer and light-duty screwdrivers. The Electrician best meets my remaining EDC needs with the short sheepsfoot and the inline awl. I might miss the can opener at home, but I can pull another knife off the shelf if I need it. No multi-tool plier works as well for me as the 4 1/2” Channellock, which takes almost no pocket room.

In the woods or camping, I take the Farmer.

I love my Explorer .. however. I'm in a situation where a smaller SAK is better. Am trying the minichamp , then will give a swisscard a try.

I love my Explorer ..

That's my pick. I've got 4 of them placed in different kits/places and bought the 1st of them over 40 years ago.

Just the right size for me. It's got all of the tools displayed plus a tooth pick and tweezer inset in pockets in the scales. I've used all of the tools at one time or the other.

iu

In the classic 58mm size I'm a big fan of the Rambler as it adds the utility of the cap lifter in such a small platform.

I also like the Cadet. I think my ideal minimal SAK would be a Cadet frame with just the cap lifter, fingernail file, and scissors. They could even ditch the blade and I wouldn't miss it much tbh, but then there would be no K in my SAK.

I daily carry a Swisstool Spirit X though, so maybe I'm the wrong one to say.

In the classic 58mm size I'm a big fan of the Rambler as it adds the utility of the cap lifter in such a small platform.

I also like the Cadet. I think my ideal minimal SAK would be a Cadet frame with just the cap lifter, fingernail file, and scissors. They could even ditch the blade and I wouldn't miss it much tbh, but then there would be no K in my SAK.

I daily carry a Swisstool Spirit X though, so maybe I'm the wrong one to say.

Yeah I haul around a Spirit at work but that thing is a brick.
Looking at something small for just walking about.
In the small frame I was looking hard at the Manager but decided I needed the can opener.
I may go back to it but it's the same price as the Tinker.

Yeah I haul around a Spirit at work but that thing is a brick.
Looking at something small for just walking about.
In the small frame I was looking hard at the Manager but decided I needed the can opener.
I may go back to it but it's the same price as the Tinker.

I pair my Rambler with a Spyderco Dragonfly 2. Very hard to beat that combo for light, small, and effective.

My essentials are the scissors, blade, number 2 Phillip's, light duty prybar, and nail file, which can be covered by a number of 58 and 74mms, and/or the Compact. The upper of pocket comfort for me is two layers, so this works well for me. My needs are definitely urban.

I like the one hand folder with saw, tweezers, and toothpick for hiking. Nice and lightweight with the bare minimum for my trail needs.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I like my custom 91mm skeletonized Ti Waiter with added saw. I don’t like the SAK toothpick or tweezers, so I carry separate (more useful IMHO) tools.

Besides the main blade, what else do you absolutely need for EDC?
I figure:
can opener
bottle opener/driver
tweezer
phillips
awl

So I'm thinking Tinker...

What says the mob?

I'm good with the Cadet. Can opener/small driver, bottle opener/driver, file and blade.

I carry a Super Tinker with me everywhere in my little medicine bag. I love the Philips driver vs corkscrew. I've had it 3+years. For about 30 years I carried a Wenger Nomad until it was borrowed without permission and lost.

My super tinker is awesome, though very battered. I've used the drivers and scissors the most.

FVq2f4v.jpg

I'm good with the Cadet. Can opener/small driver, bottle opener/driver, file and blade.

I love the Cadet.

When I look at the specs the Soldier/Pioneer is my first choice but when when it comes to actual use the Cadet is the better knife for me because it offers lighter pull and is easier on my nails. I hate to admit that but it is true.

I was given a Spartan clone that got me started picking up Spartans to drop into different packs and bags. That way I have a certain minimum standard for back up and loaner knives.

Even anti knife people don’t seem to be bothered by a SAK.

Last edited:
As many opinions as there are people.
I would go for the huntsman for the ultimate SAK.
It is still pocketable, yet has all the tools from urban to camping.

As much as I like the pruning blade and awl on my Pioneer Rancher (the awl on the INOX models is incredibly superior to the one on the other ones), I never carry it. I've been carrying a Cybertool 29 for many years now. Honestly, the blades are the least used tools, except for maybe the toothpick, and I guess the corkscrew now that I don't drink anymore (although it does hold the tiny flathead, which I do use a lot). I don't need pliers or scissors or a file since I have that on my Leatherman Squirt PS4. Between the Cybertool and the Squirt I've "saved the day" countless times being able to fix things at work, on the road, or wherever because most people don't carry those kinds of tools themselves. Many, many pairs of eye/sunglasses tightened, fixed, or jerryrigged.

I also agree that the Tinker is one of the best Vic SAKs for edc. I started with a Tinker years ago and depended on it heavily. The tool set is basic, but useful. I now carry a Small Tinker although I have several regular Tinkers in my man toy cabinet. Of the tools, the can opener has not been used.

No reason why you can't have more than one? The Electrician is a good all around choice too. Most seem to love the Cadet.

When in the woods, I often add a One Handed Trekker to my carry bag or pack. Too thick for the pocket. The Trekker provides a bit of flexibility with the longer blade and saw. It handles sticks and so forth better than the Small Tinker.

As much as I like the pruning blade and awl on my Pioneer Rancher (the awl on the INOX models is incredibly superior to the one on the other ones), I never carry it. I've been carrying a Cybertool 29 for many years now. Honestly, the blades are the least used tools, except for maybe the toothpick, and I guess the corkscrew now that I don't drink anymore (although it does hold the tiny flathead, which I do use a lot). I don't need pliers or scissors or a file since I have that on my Leatherman Squirt PS4. Between the Cybertool and the Squirt I've "saved the day" countless times being able to fix things at work, on the road, or wherever because most people don't carry those kinds of tools themselves. Many, many pairs of eye/sunglasses tightened, fixed, or jerryrigged.
I love the Cybertool series. I’ve owned two and got rid of both because of bulk in my pocket. Just a little to big for me to carry. Size is the only complaint I have about the Cybertool.

Back