Swiss Army-minimum tools

I love the Cybertool series. I’ve owned two and got rid of both because of bulk in my pocket. Just a little to big for me to carry. Size is the only complaint I have about the Cybertool.

I hear ya. First one I bought was the 42 (I think) that has the saw, file, scissors, pliers, and other junk. Even after suspending it with a clip from a belt loop it was too bulky and heavy. If they one like the 29 (or "S" or whatever it's called now) that omitted the blades to be TSA friendly, I'd probably swap it for that. Or if I wanted to spend the cash to have it customized, although I'd probably keep the layer and just switch a blade out for the awl from the INOX.

An Alox Cadet is always in my pocket. Everything on it gets used, sometimes for uses not what the tool was intended.

Blade- self explanatory
Screwdriver/cap lifter- yep, also a light pry bar
Can opener- never used it as a can opener, but the tip makes an excellent Phillips screwdriver
Nail file- I maybe used it as a file a few times, but it too makes an excellent Phillips screwdriver for the very small screws found on some electronics.

The best part is that it's so small & slim that you hardly know it's even in your pocket.

The Super Tinker is about perfect for me. I like the Scissors and the Philips. I carry a Rambler on my keys and I have classics placed all over the house. Given I have scissors in the rambler on my keys, I'll also carry the tinker.

I like and use the corkscrew so it's Spartan for me. With a Rambler on the keychain.

My EDC SAKs are a Pioneer and an Executive.

Executive:
Small blade: Gets used a lot, for opening packages, etc.
Orange peeler-screwdriver: I use it as a scraper, a small serrated edge, and the hooked part for breaking the seal on some packaging. Screwdriver is used less.
Scissors: self-explanatory.
Nail file: For me, makes a better nail file than the pebble-textured ones.
Toothpick: Used for that, and also to pick lint out of the inner workings of the knife.
Tweezers: Self-explanatory; have used it to pick splinters, dust bits from the knife, etc.
Large blade: Rarely used.

Pioneer:
Large blade: Used on fruit, packaging, and most other things a medium-sized pocketknife blade is used for.
Can opener/small screwdriver: Opens cans all the time (I cook my own meals, and lots of canned goods still require a can opener); some small and some Phillips screws; also used as a staple remover, minor scraper, and rarely as a hook to pull at something.
Bottle opener/large screwdriver/wire stripper: Larger screws, opens some bottles, and as a light-duty prying tool, which is enhanced by pinching the base of the tool to take torque off the pivot (same as when using it as a screwdriver. I haven’t needed to actually use the wire stripper feature much, but I’m glad it’s there.
Awl: Bores holes in leather and such very well. Also works as a chisel-ground blade, and also as a scraper.

*Edit to add:
I’ve also used the nail nick side of my Pioneer’s knife blade as a makeshift mirror.

Jim

Last edited:
Right now I have Vic pioneer X in my desk drawer. Use most of the tools on it. Now don't laugh. I cut my tow nails with it. LOL better than my nail clipper. I have the real small one on my key chain.

For *my*EDC needs, it will need to be based on the Celador scales as the toothpick and tweezers are my most often used tools. I own a few Farmers (colors) and a couple of One-Hand Trekkers (which have the toothpick and tweezers) but my EDC these days is the Executive. What I really like about the Executive is the little pen blade and file. The file turns out to be an EXCELLENT ferro rod striker/scraper. Formerly, I carried the Ambassador. I don't really need a can or bottle opener for my daily needs and I also carry a Bugout or similar for a larger blade.

Okay.
Now I need the hook!
I always thought it was a shell extractor...or something.

Me thinks Super Tinker.

Cool! I've only used the hook for a few simple tasks mentioned but the video opened up more possibilities that I even realized possible. Thanks!

Besides the main blade, what else do you absolutely need for EDC?
I figure:
can opener
bottle opener/driver
tweezer
phillips
awl

So I'm thinking Tinker...

What says the mob?
hRGHXwS.jpg

The Golfer does everything I need in a compact package.

Right now I have Vic pioneer X in my desk drawer. Use most of the tools on it. Now don't laugh. I cut my tow nails with it. LOL better than my nail clipper. I have the real small one on my key chain.

I’ve got you beat. I use a multi-tool to cut mine.

I know, to much information.

I carried a Small Tinker exclusively for about 10 years and then traded time with an Old Timer for the next 20. The only time I’ve ever used scissors, a Classic on my key chain or fishing vest took care of it so I wouldn’t really need one on my main knife. I’ve found I really like having a saw so the Farmer or Camper/Hiker really does have about everything I need. Tweezers come in handy for slivers and as long as a Classic or Rambler is around the Farmer would probably be my choice. If they would throw a couple of back tools on the Lumberjack/Walker I’d say my needs would be covered in the most minimal amount of tools imaginable.

It
That looks like a nicely designed folder. How big is it? Cadet size?
It's a 91mm so bigger then the cadet. You can buy a modern version that's pretty similar. The COMPACT, it has the Multi purpose hook as well.
There was an 84mm golfer too but there rare

Sadly I stopped use of SAK's several years ago :^(
But still got a bunch of them somewhere around the house ...
Maybe one day will met one again ?
Anyway I loved toothpicks, tweezers, scissors
and big locked blade in one model

Everything on the Compact is essential for me, except the parcel hook (even though I use it from time to time). I don't need anything else in an urban EDC. Need the pen!

Something is still dangling from my car keys ??
Same hanger, same SAK, just keys are next and next ...
30+ years !

GGKtL7o.jpg

Back