Sword build: Forged titanium alloy Zweihänder

Would a Zweihänder made from titanium be so light that it could be held with One hand instead of Zwei?

We'll know the answer when the grinder dust settles. *cue maniacle cackling*

This sword will be extremely quick for it's size; I'm hoping the tip speed could be too fast for an adversary to follow, like keeping track of a fired-up dragonfly on the wing and on the hunt.

Last edited:
Hold fast, folks, I'll have a Zweihänder update very soon. Until then, here is an interesting related video:

[video=youtube;LONsgpMgAw4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LONsgpMgAw4[/video]

My kinda lab! Guess what, GE nerd: I do that with my arm. So you can take your 1,000-ton forging press (with induction-heated dies) and put it where you refine your grain size! :D

Mecha - you tell them !! I worked for GE for a very short time .They didn't have a sword division and don't suppose they have one now.

I can't believe you are making a Ti sword this big, Sam. That fly press must have made a huge improvement. Some things came up, but I should have my Ti sword finished in a week or two. can't wait to see this one!

well, the proud tradition of the ravensburger landsknechte nowadays is a traditional student .... hmmm... club? don't know the word, which allows them to dress up once a year for the oktoberfest equivalent around here, bang on some drums and get wasted... :D
so i am fairly certain that your sword will exceed those standards by far mecha :) i am quite curious how this will turn out.

Mecha - you tell them !! I worked for GE for a very short time .They didn't have a sword division and don't suppose they have one now.

And isn't that just ridiculous, Mete? GE doesn't know what they're missing. A General Electric forged titanium alloy sword run would be nothing less than Legendary.

I can't believe you are making a Ti sword this big, Sam. That fly press must have made a huge improvement. Some things came up, but I should have my Ti sword finished in a week or two. can't wait to see this one!

Can't wait to see it. I know your style of sword-making will produce something unusual and crazy out of the beta ti alloy. Although the fly press is infinitely useful, it was that big trip-hammer that made the difference in this build!

well, the proud tradition of the ravensburger landsknechte nowadays is a traditional student .... hmmm... club? don't know the word, which allows them to dress up once a year for the oktoberfest equivalent around here, bang on some drums and get wasted... :D
so i am fairly certain that your sword will exceed those standards by far mecha :) i am quite curious how this will turn out.

We shall see, we shall see, both of you! :D

That's amazing Mecha!!.. I can't wait to see it when its done:thumbup:

Last edited:
Unable to find a chalk-line, this laser should show a nice straight line down the billet.

bfJCvP7.jpg

It doesn't look all that intimidating...the huge sword seems almost natural.

zYPwAv3.jpg

The billet gets equalized, and begins to make sense.

KerIbIA.jpg

mvvqCx3.jpg

acverUp.jpg

Jpydpvv.jpg

Soon it will be time to fit the guards.

Last edited:
Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over ! Now you have to look for a BIG guy to demonstrate the sword .Even better to have him dressed in traditional clothing.

Now I want a big billet too!:D Just kidding...kinda. That's going to be a true weapon of war, Sam. Looking real good there, Sam.:thumbup:

Really impressive mate. I love that using Ti gives you the chance to do things which would be pretty much unthinkable (or just plain crazy) in steel. We are going to see heads cut from pikes and you in pantaloons and a doublet before this thread runs it's course, right?

what a monster! looking fantastic as usual, Mecha! Maybe i missed it but what's the projected weight of the sword going to be, estimated?

Nice blade. That's a lot of work! And I'd have it demo'd by the shortest guy I could find not the tallest :D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the nice comments, sword folks! :)

what a monster! looking fantastic as usual, Mecha! Maybe i missed it but what's the projected weight of the sword going to be, estimated?

Final weight is unknown, but a general guess is three pounds or so. The sword will feel featherweight for its size because it will benefit from: light-weight and rigid metal, a pommel and hilt that provide proper balance, a strong distal taper, and the leverage granted by the fore-grip.

Any progress, Sam? BTW, I think you should cast the guard and pommel. That would give this blade an uber cool touch.

Love the scale of that last pic Mecha!
That is one impressively big blade!!! :thumbup:

Back