Sword build: Forged titanium alloy Zweihänder

I have loved watching the evolution of your work. This thing looks awesome.

Must...finish...zweihander...:D

2 lbs 13 oz unhilted, and dropping.

[video=youtube;5Pl5aMXRsiA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pl5aMXRsiA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

XMpvW6F.jpg

It's not the easiest blade to photograph:

Ieg0Ebd.jpg

DswhniN.jpg

2 lbs 11 oz, more refinements to do but now guards can be fit.

holy crap, that thing is friggin insane

Wow! I have a million questions but I should probsbly check in the other titanium sword thread.

Looking good!

It needs furniture and pants, and then, just ship that beauty my way!

Thanks folks, the two handguards are almost done so updates shortly. This sword is so mind-bogglingly fast and easy to use for its size, it just makes me giddy. Once hilted, it will be even way more quick. Feel free to ask questions Liam Ryan, I like talking about titanium swords. ;)

Thanks folks, the two handguards are almost done so updates shortly. This sword is so mind-bogglingly fast and easy to use for its size, it just makes me giddy. Once hilted, it will be even way more quick. Feel free to ask questions Liam Ryan, I like talking about titanium swords. ;)
Wish I was there to help, Buddy, but looks like you killed it all on your own. Congratulations on the world's biggest baddest titanium sword ever!!!

Wish I was there to help, Buddy, but looks like you killed it all on your own. Congratulations on the world's biggest baddest titanium sword ever!!!

Thanks Dave, it's not only big, it also has to be done right the first time! :D Thanks for the nice comments and patience with this project, everyone.

The two handguards are made of the 6al4v ELI round bar stock seen in the beginning of the thread; the same alloy as the blade. They were shaped a bit in the forge, then ground into rough shape so that they could be filed to fit. The guards will be triangular in section, and although they weigh very little, they're ridiculously strong and make the hilt a formidable part of the sword's, uh, capabilities. Now that they fit the tang, they can be sculpted and refined into their final form, which is inspired by the tusk-like horn shape sometimes seen as the foreguard of zweihanders.

Roughly-shaped
ji0Nm5R.jpg

Now they need to be slotted to fit the tang
w7gsPxT.jpg

Almost there! That wasn't very fun! :)
5tqT56c.jpg

The guards will be back-peened into place once everything's shaped up and shiny. Every little refinement makes the sword even more quick in the hand.
wDaoGnj.jpg

Is there any chance I will get to see this bad boy in person at the Oregon Knife Collectors Association Show?

Because this sword is looking amazing.

Crazy! Great work!

What kind of handle are you doing? Hopefully something equally light.

Gonna do it the normal way, which is pretty light but does have a bit of mass to it. The blade is pretty substantial, and it needs to be balanced. I don't want the pommel to be comically large, and it's good to spread some of the counter-weight throughout the hilt.

Is there any chance I will get to see this bad boy in person at the Oregon Knife Collectors Association Show?

Because this sword is looking amazing.

There's a chance! :)

Back