Sword build: Forged titanium alloy Zweihänder

Video, video !! Please get some advice from a guy that knows details of how that sword works . That will answer many of our questions.

In my college fencing days we had a period where the facilities where a problem . Not in a proper gym but a room with fans in the ceiling ! We had to carefully explain the problem to visiting teams . Saber fencers - " try not to hit the fans ! "

Todeschini is working on a zweihander.
https://www.facebook.com/Todsstuff/posts/966690173399407

12524426_966689893399435_8404960520228705682_n.jpg

Inspirational poke in the ribs ;)

I do worry about the spiked main guard getting into a forearm when winding with that sword.

Cheers

GC

For videos, search montante on youtube

Last edited:
Todeschini is working on a zweihander.
https://www.facebook.com/Todsstuff/posts/966690173399407

12524426_966689893399435_8404960520228705682_n.jpg

Inspirational poke in the ribs ;)

I do worry about the spiked main guard getting into a forearm when winding with that sword.

Cheers

GC

For videos, search montante on youtube

Nice, Horseclover, Very nice. That's an insane amount of filing. He said it's getting sent to a client who is finishing the sword blade. I wonder who's making the blade!

Yes, I had my suspicions about the pointy guard turning against the sword's wielder, but so far it's been easy and natural to use, and the points haven't been a problem - we'll see for sure during the test video! :D They can easily be blunted if they do get in the way, though. Other modifications that can be made at this stage include enlarging the fuller and shaving down the pommel to further lighten and rebalance the sword.

As a post-modern design for a zweihander, I wanted Odonata to be shaped in a way that makes it a nasty weapon up close or even in a confining space. For such a big sword, it's rather compact.

As of now, the sword weighs about 4.5 pounds overall. The meaty blade with its large tang is just over 2 lbs, the guards are about 10 oz, and the pommel is about a pound.

For historical comparison, my brother just inspected three zweihanders up close in a museum a couple weeks ago: One was similar in size to mine, with a slightly longer and narrower blade, weight: 8.5 lbs.
One was about a foot longer, with a big hilt, weight: around 11 pounds
The last one was a parade sword, weight: 16 pounds. The parade sword looked exactly like this:

8sUegnu.jpg

Last edited:
No doubt that the heavier swords were parade swords. Eight pounds about the limit for even the large fighting swords. There had been a nice chart from Matt Galas comparing a number of museum pieces but the site is gone, after all these years. It had not just the big swords but representative examples of several types, including rapiers. I'll look for it (he has a site).

Spikey hilts were around, especially for dueling swords. Here are a couple of plates and but one discussion.
TalhofferManual2.jpg

TalhofferManual.jpg

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?83001-Talhoffer-and-Wallerstein-Spiked-Pommels

I have that Vadi plate somewhere but much the same context of pointies.

You could decoratively file the pommel some ;)

Cheers

GC

Here is the archived weight page
http://web.archive.org/web/20060711094858/http://www.palus.demon.co.uk/Sword_Stats.html

Haha, decorative filework indeed! :thumbup: ~ Excellent Horseclover, thanks. There has been a certain little simple file pattern for the pommel that's been dancing in my head, but I've been hesitant since failure is not an option. I really do like pointy, abbreviated guards and pommels with a blunt point.

damn fine work, Sam.

Thanks much fellas, there was no telling how it would turn out, but it had to be done. There are things about making the sword that went quite well, and a few things I struggled with and would do differently. It certainly pushed a few things to the limit (like my arm span while grinding :D)!

I wish I could get to know this blade better, but to be frank, I'm afeard of beating the tip of it into the concrete or an anvil or something while swinging it around like a giddy wannabe landsknecht. The blade is taking quite some time to polish down to it's final look and sharp edge, so I'll leave any accidental concrete bashing to the sword's intended owner. :D

0ZwvMv7.jpg

jhHohqw.jpg

Wow, that thing is incredible looking.

Thanks abbydaddy~ Unfortunately I wasn't able to secure a table at the OKCA knife show in time this year to show the sword in person, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it will be around at a show in the near future. ;)

Video evidence showing what this sword is like in action. Obviously I'm no learned student of gigantic swordsmanship, and the paranoia about hitting the vices or concrete didn't help. But here it is, enjoy!

[video=youtube;JnHIRf9byVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnHIRf9byVo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Edit: In the video the sword wasn't fully sharp, just real close. After the footage the blade will be polished to fully sharp, case-hardened to reduce surface scratching and wear, and a tungsten carbide edge treatment added to harden up the sword's bite.

The song in the beginning of the video is "Die Landsknechte Kommen," a song sung by the landsknecht in the 1400s. Found it on youtube and thought it fit! :)

Last edited:
My Lord..it looks so light. One hand. :eek: Just outstanding, Mecha. You also make some hilariously entertaining video. Nice to see somebody not taking everything so seriously, besides, everyone knows that Chinese pool noodle foam is harder than Chinese knife metal. (because of that one pool noodle that was stubborn :D )

WWOOOOWW !!!! What a thing to wake up to ! Gets me all excited . You'll have to explain about the case hardening .

My Lord..it looks so light. One hand. :eek: Just outstanding, Mecha. You also make some hilariously entertaining video. Nice to see somebody not taking everything so seriously, besides, everyone knows that Chinese pool noodle foam is harder than Chinese knife metal. (because of that one pool noodle that was stubborn :D )

Hehe!:D You should have seen when I batted a water bottle 50 feet down the parking lot with the blade flat. It landed on a car hood and burst.
Yep, unfortunately l couldn't really wind that sword up and get crazy, I had to be rather slow and careful. But now I want a big sword to practice with...

It's not perfect, but it did turn out solid, well-balanced and amazingly fast to use. It's going to stay as-is for now, but possibly in the future it would be interesting to carve a pattern into the pommel as Horseclover suggested, and lengthen the fuller to balance it out.

As always, thanks for the kind words, you're a classy bunch of folks.

when the point is lowered to the ground, he has to give it a slight kick in order to raise it. not really a serious tactical flaw. in fact it looks badass.

when the point is lowered to the ground, he has to give it a slight kick in order to raise it. not really a serious tactical flaw. in fact it looks badass.

That's right, I saw a few videos online of some ARMA types, who were sparring with large European swords, kicking up the sword tip to begin the duel. Looked so badass I had to emulate it! This titanium one can be easily lifted with one hand, but when you're swinging around a 5-foot sword there's no reason to scrimp on the badassery!

One thing I found out quickly, is that the 6+ feet of carbidized edge on the ti zweihander will shred your flesh quicker than you will even notice it. :eek:

That's right, I saw a few videos online of some ARMA types, who were sparring with large European swords, kicking up the sword tip to begin the duel. Looked so badass I had to emulate it! This titanium one can be easily lifted with one hand, but when you're swinging around a 5-foot sword there's no reason to scrimp on the badassery!

One thing I found out quickly, is that the 6+ feet of carbidized edge on the ti zweihander will shred your flesh quicker than you will even notice it. :eek:

Haha it was more than just badass, it was a real thing.
Kicking up the sword to get it into position is outlined in both the Alfieri and Figueredo manuscripts.

Back