Sword build: forged titanium gladius

So..damn..cool! OMG!

The sands of the arena shall drink well after the birth of Bombus Gladius has had its display!

I don't know nothing about forging, bladesmithing, etc. A total ignoramus. But from this thread it seems that the sword of the Daywalker might become a reality someday ( sorry for the levity). About the cost, most probably way above my pay grade. Outstanding work.

Looking good! And I think you had asked why the gladius was so popular. Is it becoming more obvious or less now?

OMG!!! :eek: I can't wait to see how she turns out!!!! :thumbup:
I gotta drop by this corner of the Forums more often!!!!!!!

You guys need to order some Ti book knives from mecha while you wait for your Ti sword.
:D

My opinion is that this material is exceptionally well suited for a Gladius. It's a short sword which is used for in close stabbing and slashing. It's design is less dependent on having mass behind its cross section to cut into a target but rather depends more on it's quickness for close quarter combat or to stab and lash out from behind a shield. I believe this material would support the overall design characteristics of the Gladius even more than other sword designs. Of course, I'm not an ancient roman soldier or anything so my opinion is just my opinion. However, I'm not unfamiliar with handling a few different sword designs.

The spectators approve of Bombus Gladius! Everyone's interest and comments are very appreciated, and we will see this sword build through to the end! But enough with the pleasantries. Let's talk swords.

Yes Crimsonfalcon, the simple deadliness of the gladius has become blatant. It's easy to imagine that enough of them being wielded behind shields could, you know, take over Europe, and it reveals the power of a diamond-section blade in general. One just can't seem to escape getting lacerated by the damn thing. It's remarkably stiff, and easily the most dangerous sword I've yet to make (possible exception: an early small, narrower double-edged sword).

Nobody: While the titanium is plenty stabby, in practice the extra lightness of the alloy seems to favor a longer sword! Some longer models need to be forged so we can get to the bottom of this! :confused:

As for the gladius, the hilt parts have been gathered and are being shaped right now. The leather has been chosen, and the special design fits the sword's name. Fasten seat belts, grab your cats and dogs, and prepare for the final stretch!

Due to a few minor setbacks (including an surprise electrocution), this gladius' hilt won't be completed for another 24-48 hours. Until then, I leave our sword-hungry audience with a teaser. The jig's up: Bombus Gladius will resemble a bee...with a serious sting!

ugdVtdY.jpg

Last edited:
A surprise electrocution?
...uhh are you okay? Try not to incapacitate yourself before you finish this thread at least... :)

if you die before you finish this thread, i WILL hold it against you.... do not let the romans win (or lose) ( not sure which one ends with the coolest sword )

Yea, dunt croak until the sword is done. :)
Do you sell those copper blade holders, mecha?
:D
rolf

Another day or two....? AHHHHHHHG!
The front of my chair cushion is getting worn out.

Is being electrocuted ever planned by the one that's receiving it?
Even when I know there's electricity flowing it's still a shock when I touch the electric fence wire...

If you will elaborate on the electrocution it would assist in keeping the mob from rushing to the Flavian Amphitheatre and throwing you to the beasts.

Last edited:
Oh man a surprise electrocution.. I only like when I'm ready for one... which is never... :)

You said bee.. I hope the sheath isn't yellow O_O

Back