Sword build: forged titanium gladius

Sounds very Roman to me... "Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant!" or in English "Those who are about to die, salute you!"
Be careful Mecha, she's out for your blood! ;)

Of Pompeii profile, just a tad narrow for the length. I am sure stock size in the beginning is part of that. However petite or wee the width, it so far looks the bee's knees. More typically, one would see the metal plate at the blade's shoulders with a hemisphere next. Nice looking dark wood. I like the spacers. Don't put all the weight in your hand.

Cheers

GC

Electric motors from the 1940s with their original cords like to provide little thrills when you least expect it. It is a mad science forge, after all.

Stay your sheath worries, Sir Sloth, for the only yellow thing on this sword and sheath is the brass!

A proper gladiator needs a loricus made of metal and leather. That's not wood layered with the brass, it's burnished hide! :eek:

Exactly, Horseclover! The blade could have been spread out a bit more, at the expense of the thickness at the ridge, but I liked it as-hammered and brought forth the grinder. The blade has almost no taper along its length, so it has good balance thus far. Not pictured was the half finished pommel, bulbous as a bumble bee's arse.

Presented for our spectators' scrutiny, the hilt of the buzzing sword! Next will be a bit of polishing for the blade, a final sharp edge, and a fitting sheath.

wqYR33Y.jpg

U5n0hgk.jpg

dApizIc.jpg

She's lookin' AWESOME!!!! :eek:
I love the "stinger" in the pommel!!!!!!! :thumbup:

nice one. the "stinger" looks like a brass plumb uhm piece?

So that is full tang to the brass stinger?

Good job so far! ;]

Thanks gentlemen!

That's correct Sloth: full tang to the pommel, with a copper pin. All materials used are new stock; no recycled pieces.

Just lovely..I like how the ancient design has come together with modern touches. REALLY like that pommel. I espied the sheath in the back (I think) coming along too..Can't wait for the final pics. Mecha, you've definitely livened things up around here! :D

i need you to tell me how much that thing would cost me, so i can stop caressing my wallet and laughing maniacally.... my wallet has been talking shit to me for the last ten minutes, and I need to convince myself that I don't need to molest it to buy one of these

Shape of it kinda reminds me of the Pan sword from Hook. I bet that blade is very lively in hand. Makes me want to do another gladius myself, although I told myself after the last 8 that I wouldn't do any more...

Aye, Crimsonfalcon, there's always room for another double-edged sword. Thanks for the nudge of inspiration that brought this one into being.

BePrepared, this sword has its flaws, and not every part made it through the build unscathed and pristine. It's ultimately experimental, probably more reasonably-priced than you think. :]

Thanks for hangin' in there, everyone. The sword is 98% complete, and we are rapidly approaching the conclusion of this build: CUTTING VIDEO! :D

Here is a photo showing the approximate balance point of the sword:

1dze9TW.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work!
I am enjoying watching your work progress as your skills are honed and refined.

One day I may have to consult you on a custom build.

This is certainly a cool blade. You mentioned how much the bar weighs, but may I ask how much the gladius weighs overall now it is ground and has a handle?

Back