Sword of Staples

This is a bit of a silly question. But was wondering, How good/bad would a sword be made from staples, used in staplers. I would call such a blade stapler.
Not very well, I would imagine.

Staples are not really sword making material.

Can still be dangerous though...

l3PwdfU.gif

You could stake stainless steel staples, strictly stating, but I doubt you can staple stainless steel stakes.

First of all I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of this thread. second I was trying to find the material properties of staples and all I could find is that it usually is zinc coated steel. can't find what type of steel or the chemical composition of the steel.
You can buy the bulk staple wire from these people. Supposedly this is their higher carbon stuff used on electric powered staplers.

https://www.stapleheadquarters.com/stitching-wire-flat

n2s
I think this might work for this experiment.

You haven't even begun to tap the depth of the well yet....how about using construction staples? Technically the pneumatically-powered gun used to fire 2 inch staples through wood is a "stapler."

You haven't even begun to tap the depth of the well yet....how about using construction staples? Technically the pneumatically-powered gun used to fire 2 inch staples through wood is a "stapler."

Well in that case we will have to conduct ourselves properly with regards to this experiment. We will have to make multiple swords from various tipes of staples, and possably a mixture of staples on some swords and then test those swords to see the difference in performance.

Because all staples have some zinc (which is a soft metal) my guess is that the sword would be about the same as a Bronze Age sword. It would possibly be functional, but not as good as a steel sword.
Having said that, because it would require the forging together of thousands of staples, you might get something like a laminated steel which can take a great edge. So all we need is about $200 worth of staples, a forge, tools to handle molten metal & one of those things that pound the metal while it's hot and a blade grinder and a few things I'm forgetting & we can make our staple sword. I think we can bring that baby in for $2000 not including labor. I'm going to guess that most of the people reading this have as much experience with forging as I do, so we should probably buy some insurance to cover the medical bills.
If we wait till summer, we could organize a group of twenty people-each kick in $100 and spend a weekend making the sword. Now the only question is do we sell it on eBAY or Sotheby's?

OMG We should put this on Kickstarter. Raise $100,000 in a week or so & I know someone in Hong Kong who could probable get us 1000 staple swords for $3@, give each of the investors one sword for every thousand they put in and pocket the balance. Is this a great country or what?

OMG We should put this on Kickstarter. Raise $100,000 in a week or so & I know someone in Hong Kong who could probable get us 1000 staple swords for $3@, give each of the investors one sword for every thousand they put in and pocket the balance. Is this a great country or what?

Can it be a Princess Mononoke staple sword?

Back