Sword question... East and West

Fudo,

I did not suggest that the sword had been used to murder peasants. When I said the sword was used against peasants, I was thinking in the context of a battlefield.
The point was that a Samarai or Knight would rarely have participated in direct confrontation with a similarly armed opponent. Neither sword would have been very efficient against an armored opponent. Against an armored opponet you want to use an impact weapon like the European mace, or Hammer. The heavier precussion weapons could do serious injury right through the armor.

OTOH, I can see Fudo's point that the sword figured prominently in the battlefield.

I'll defer to the historians here, but what little I know about the Japanese battle scene (admittedly limited to Toho Production movies), it seems that most foot soldiers were only lightly armoured with most extremities and joints exposed. Certainly good targets for a fast sword.

And now back to the war buffs ...

Not2sharp-The Japanese Sword was first and foremost a combat weapon. Most Samurai in the higher ranks preferred do distinguish themselves under the eyes of their lord. There is no honor in killing peasant soldiers even if necessary as they were socially inferior. The higher ranking Samurai generally preferred a one-on one with someone who ranked on an equal level and who would be similarly armored. I have worn both Japanese and western armor. The Japanese armor is very much lighter and flexible than western armor. And nowhwere near as tough.Got to go now will elaborate later.

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

fudo, I didn't mean the katana was not a weapon. It was battlefield (backup) weapon then became a dueling weapon, very seldom drawn. In former era katana developed to apply battles but no did the bushido / katana relationship as we know today. Latter era katana stopped evolving albeit there must have been great masters who's skill could surpass their ancestors and, bushido began to put katana at its center in three hundreds years. Your quote was Minamoto-no-Yo****sune (Ushiwaka-maru) and Benkei, wasn't it? They fought when they first met, as Benkei was a kinda BG, who was collecting weapons by challenging passing-by samurais using his "seven (battle) tools ". Well, there must've bee variety of hand weapons then.
Katana was banned by Toyotomi earlier than war outlawing by Tokugawa.
And I'd ask you a question, I've heard full equipment of Japanese armor was up to 60 kg (130lbs.) made by steel and bamboo for flexibility and ventilation, is it that Western armor weighs much more or do I just remember wrongly?

------------------
Did you enjoy today?
\(^o^)/ Mizutani Satoshi \(^o^)/

Wrongfriend-I was 6' and 275# when I was wearing armor and fighting in it. My Chain mail Coif with attatched collar was 17#. Chain mail shirt to mid thigh was 66#. It is real hot here, I didn't try putting on the legs.
Full plate was lighter but restricted mobility more. Japanese armor of the O-Yoroi type is much lighter and maneuverable.
Later peroid armor was light in comparison to western armor but traded protection for speed. A good trade IMHO.
You were right to temind me of "The Great Sword Hunt" in 1588

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

Thank you for the info. You wore both, in a hot day? For comparation sake only? Your practical approach really impressed me! 60kg may be included full of rig, equipment. This thread is for swords and not for armors I quit drifting away more.

------------------
Did you enjoy today?
\(^o^)/ Mizutani Satoshi \(^o^)/

wrongfriend- I not only wore both, but fought in both. Japanese armor is much lighter and allows more mobility, western plate armor offers more protection. In mountainous terrain, the japanese armor wins, no contest.
In this area, average fighter, less armor is about 6',200# Average armor load including helmet but not including shield probably weighs 40-45# give or take a little.

------------------

[This message has been edited by fudo (edited 08-02-2000).]

Back