Swords of Conan?

Years ago I went through the Conan stories. He seemed to take any sword available where he lived, like, a scimitar when he was a pirate. But I'm not sure as I had a random reading his episodes. Any comments on his favorite swords? Thanx!

------------------
Did you enjoy today?
\(^o^)/ Mizutani Satoshi \(^o^)/

R.E.Howard was well read and his "Conan" stories show it. Some were reworkings from stories that did not sell or even some "King Kull" stories that he wrote prior to Conan ("Phoenix on the Sword", "By this Axe"). However, as he said later, it was as if Conan just sat down and related these tales to him by a campfire...full blown and ready to go.

Scimitar, saber, cutlass, broadsword or whatever...the only one I do not remember him ever using was a rapier. Howard generally left that to a more lighter built charactor.

Depending on where the stories were set, yes, it was the weapon of the region or what was at hand. But he seemed to preferr a straight boardsword mostly. Whatever the weapon was...preferably one of sturdy make if at all possible.

Thank you, Laurie Wise.
My memory tells Conan took a broad sword as his favorite, and also he took what he could get. The answer it just depended!

For me he took any swords as expendable. Not sophisticated a manner... anyways he was a barbarian, as the author(s) say.

------------------
Did you enjoy today?
\(^o^)/ Mizutani Satoshi \(^o^)/

Kinda like a McGuyver of Ancient times, what ever was at hand, he relied more on his knowledge and skills than being tied to a single item, which is admirable and made the reading all the more fun, enjoyed those books back then!

of course my wife just can't stand the movie!
smile.gif

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

G2 LeatherWorks

The first movie was actually pretty good and Sandahl Bergman's charactor was a combination of several of the strong women found in Howard's books...Rather like a cross between his actual "Red Sonja", "Valeria" and "Bêlite", the Red Corsair Queen who came to Conan's aid even after death (this bit being used in the first movie).

The sword master who taught the three main actors (Arnold, Sandahl and Gerry Lopez) is featured in the montage about Conan being educated and taught the Sword Arts. Arnold and the others did the majority of their own swordplay and stunts in that film.

By the way, Howard's "Red Sonja" would have kicked Neilsen's butt into that hole first and then made a better movie. First of all, she would not have picked "That Gosh Awful" sword Birgette chose......

[This message has been edited by Laurie Wise (edited 08-12-2000).]

Back