Swords, Templar & Crusader...

What is your budget?

Darksword Armory does have a peg up in offering a whole package but the ad copy is often tripe. If looking for a kit including a belt and scabbard, they suit some well. The quality has gotten a bit better over time.

Museum Replicas is amongst the "standard" when looking for entry level swords, as are the CAS/Hanwei offerings.

A lot of it is subjective.

There was no distinctive Knights Templar sword, only swords many used during the 12th to 14th centuries.

Kult of Athena is a good site to window shop on. Value is often well linked to cost, with companies such as Deepeeka at the low end and quality production to custom at the higher end (four figure). Personally, I would spend some time making the choice and reflect on what you want out of a sword. There is nothing wrong with buying your first choice but value of some is questionable.

There are some minor ahistorical qualities to the grinds on the Darksword stuff but those same issues often appear on other producers wares. Museum Replicas has only a few sword offerings reaching that price point and "luster".

The Hanwei/Tinker swords are well thought of. A lot less costly but no belt or fluff. Poke around and see what else is out there.

I am still a Del Tin fan but no scabbard or belt. Valiant Armoury for a complete package but twice or more what a Darksword costs. Arms&Armor and Albion, pricy but very nice. There are lots more, at many price points.

Cheers
GC

Cheers

Thanks horseclover. I'm looking more specifically at finding a ready for war Crusader style with cross bar hilt. Emphasis on useable and durability, vs fancy.
Budget depends on the sword, but I would prefer to stay way shy of $500.
I found one on Amazon that is made from 1055 or 1060 spring steel for less than $100., but no sheath. Blade should be around 33ish inches, with a total length of around 45 inches.
If I go the no sheath/scabbard route, I wonder if one might be had separately?
I'm still learning and looking at this point.

If your not planning on using it you might want to check out the bay for a Kaskara. Not exactly what you described but real and some have good German made blades.

Scabbards can be as costly or more expensive than the swords themselves. That is why if one is looking for a whole package, with suspension and a belt, Darksword and Museum Replicas are the sources at that median price range. If you spend some time on KOA window shopping, you will see many possibilities with a scabbard but no belt. I have already mentioned some generalities at various price points.

I would honestly avoid a sword with no scabbard for $99, even if it had a scabbard but there may be exceptions.

Amazon can find the best price for a specific sword but /i would shop elsewhere first to determine what it is you are looking for.

Check in here, plenty of suggestions.
https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/

Cheers
GC

Scabbards can be as costly or more expensive than the swords themselves. That is why if one is looking for a whole package, with suspension and a belt, Darksword and Museum Replicas are the sources at that median price range. If you spend some time on KOA window shopping, you will see many possibilities with a scabbard but no belt. I have already mentioned some generalities at various price points.

I would honestly avoid a sword with no scabbard for $99, even if it had a scabbard but there may be exceptions.

Amazon can find the best price for a specific sword but /i would shop elsewhere first to determine what it is you are looking for.

Check in here, plenty of suggestions.
https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/
That's kind of what I was afraid of with regards to scabbards. Thanks for the link too.
Any thought's on Cold Steel's hand and a half swords?
Darksword's stuff seems better than Museum Replica's swords. Maybe just me though.
On Amazon, I carefully read the reviews on anything I look at there. Thanks again everybody for your thoughts.

I'll second the thoughts on museum replicas or del tin for entry level pieces. I would not purchase a 100 dollar sword on a bet. It is always possible that you got the super de duper amazing deal.... But it is unlikely. You typically get what you pay for with a sword. My first sword of the European variety was from arms and armor. Pricey? Yes. I still have it though with no regrets.

I'll second the thoughts on museum replicas or del tin for entry level pieces. I would not purchase a 100 dollar sword on a bet. It is always possible that you got the super de duper amazing deal.... But it is unlikely. You typically get what you pay for with a sword. My first sword of the European variety was from arms and armor. Pricey? Yes. I still have it though with no regrets.
Arms and Armor? Another one to look at. I'm still hoping to hear thoughts on the Cold Steel Hand and a Half.
So far from what my research has come up with, Darksword is leading the pack.

There is nothing wrong with going for your first impressions.

The Cold Steel you mention is nothing particularly special. I have briefly handled one.

One reason you will see favorable reviews for many items on Amazon
is that many have never owned any other sword and it was love at first sight. I mention the SBG board as you will be able to read and interface with a fair sector of the current marketplace and reviews. There are facebook groups as well but the format sucks.

I had begun a poll last year at SBG and it shows buys from some of the more often patronized producers.
https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thread/55512/who-bought-swords

Of 132 voters (as of this writing), 29.545454545 % of the buyers have bought a Darksword Armoury sword.
65.909090909 % have bought a Museum Replicas/Windlass sword............and so on. Cold Steel is encompassed in the "other" categories which represent and account for dozens of producers. In other words, Cold Steel is not a large sector of the medievalists interests.

I just this past week purchased a used Del Tin, sans scabbard for half of retail. It is a model I have admired for twenty years. I have been collecting modern made swords, mostly some decades ago and I am more interested in early modern antiques at this point. I own three Del Tin swords once again :)
http://www.deltin.it/2132.htm
The used Del Tin I just adopted suits me fine but could be picked apart as easily as many that aren't an Albion or Arms&Armor.

It really is a very subjective matter. I, for one, would never buy from Darksword because I don't like the owner whatsoever. The goods have increased in value but the ad copy isn't the only underlying ethical issue I have with them. As the poll shows, DS gets a fair share of the interest. The poll does not list the number of swords a person owns, nor the number of swords someone has bought from a given source. It is as close to a "first impressions" calculation as one might encounter.

Again, window shop KOA and sign up at SBG for lots more feedback and options. There was just a sale of swords from an outfit called Balaur. A line that has had a lot of buzz lately and many liked those low cost swords. Many had some minor issues but it was a first run.

One very important thing to consider in discussion boards are those trying to be objective and others that will basically repeat some of the buzz. I am trying not to be a parrot here and I'm really trying not to bash any one company (although I despise Darksword). Let me qualify just one thought on that and if anyone has paid attention they know this to be tripe from the producer.

"Differential Hardened at a Rockwell of 60 at the Edge; 48-50 at the core"

That is bullshit in my opinion and all the producer needs do claiming it can show his actual production of blades. He dances well ;) He sells a lot of swords. Re-sale by collectors doesn't go so well.

So anyway, that first sword buy is really a subjective issue. I spent many months looking at the market in the late 1990s and narrowed my choices to either a Museum Replicas Espada Ropera or the Del Tin 5160. I waffled and bought the Museum Replicas (Windlass) sword and was overjoyed. Indeed over the years, there was favor by more than just me that the Windlass was the better version of a sword noted in Ewart Oakeshott's books. The years went by and it was at a public display event that I sold that in 2015. Still eyeing the Del Tin 5160, a one off second hand example surfaced and I bought it. It differs in the blade a bit but I had re-filled that void.

Many of my remaining modern production swords were found second hand and that might be something to consider. Again pointing to SBG, there are usually plenty of opportunities at good prices.

Cheers
GC

There is nothing wrong with going for your first impressions.

The Cold Steel you mention is nothing particularly special. I have briefly handled one.

One reason you will see favorable reviews for many items on Amazon
is that many have never owned any other sword and it was love at first sight. I mention the SBG board as you will be able to read and interface with a fair sector of the current marketplace and reviews. There are facebook groups as well but the format sucks.

I had begun a poll last year at SBG and it shows buys from some of the more often patronized producers.
https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thread/55512/who-bought-swords

Of 132 voters (as of this writing), 29.545454545 % of the buyers have bought a Darksword Armoury sword.
65.909090909 % have bought a Museum Replicas/Windlass sword............and so on. Cold Steel is encompassed in the "other" categories which represent and account for dozens of producers. In other words, Cold Steel is not a large sector of the medievalists interests.

I just this past week purchased a used Del Tin, sans scabbard for half of retail. It is a model I have admired for twenty years. I have been collecting modern made swords, mostly some decades ago and I am more interested in early modern antiques at this point. I own three Del Tin swords once again :)
http://www.deltin.it/2132.htm
The used Del Tin I just adopted suits me fine but could be picked apart as easily as many that aren't an Albion or Arms&Armor.

It really is a very subjective matter. I, for one, would never buy from Darksword because I don't like the owner whatsoever. The goods have increased in value but the ad copy isn't the only underlying ethical issue I have with them. As the poll shows, DS gets a fair share of the interest. The poll does not list the number of swords a person owns, nor the number of swords someone has bought from a given source. It is as close to a "first impressions" calculation as one might encounter.

Again, window shop KOA and sign up at SBG for lots more feedback and options. There was just a sale of swords from an outfit called Balaur. A line that has had a lot of buzz lately and many liked those low cost swords. Many had some minor issues but it was a first run.

One very important thing to consider in discussion boards are those trying to be objective and others that will basically repeat some of the buzz. I am trying not to be a parrot here and I'm really trying not to bash any one company (although I despise Darksword). Let me qualify just one thought on that and if anyone has paid attention they know this to be tripe from the producer.

"Differential Hardened at a Rockwell of 60 at the Edge; 48-50 at the core"

That is bullshit in my opinion and all the producer needs do claiming it can show his actual production of blades. He dances well ;) He sells a lot of swords. Re-sale by collectors doesn't go so well.

So anyway, that first sword buy is really a subjective issue. I spent many months looking at the market in the late 1990s and narrowed my choices to either a Museum Replicas Espada Ropera or the Del Tin 5160. I waffled and bought the Museum Replicas (Windlass) sword and was overjoyed. Indeed over the years, there was favor by more than just me that the Windlass was the better version of a sword noted in Ewart Oakeshott's books. The years went by and it was at a public display event that I sold that in 2015. Still eyeing the Del Tin 5160, a one off second hand example surfaced and I bought it. It differs in the blade a bit but I had re-filled that void.

Many of my remaining modern production swords were found second hand and that might be something to consider. Again pointing to SBG, there are usually plenty of opportunities at good prices.

Cheers
GC
Thanks for your impression of Cold Steel. I will look at Del Tin right after I post this, and am waiting BTW for confirmation from SBG. Yeah, I signed up.
I agree that Darkswords claim of having multi tempers done to their swords, but I also think that may be possible? From what I've seen of their full tang handles, I'm not impressed with the thickness of the steel used on them, but haven't looked at anybody else's yet. That's a lot of blade held by that skimpy handle. At least that's my impression. :(

Tangs can be relatively narrow and still within reality. What was reality is that medieval swords were not meant for breaking cinder blocks and chopping down trees. That is where we enter the realms of expectations vs history.

As to the DS heat treatment, yes, temper can be drawn back on hardened steel. That is not in question. His claim of in house production of blades and the heat treatment is unsubstantiated. The producer, his business practices and ad copy are where I wholly disagree with the owner of the company. The blade grinds are still somewhat ahistoric but that is not a deal breaker for many. A belt a nominal additional cost. It is all what a viewer might see as appealing.

Again, shop around via KOA to see many sources and then choose a best price and a most appealing option.

Cheers
GC

If you are on Facebook search out a sword maker named Angus Trim. He posts regularly and shows off his beautiful swords and gives some education on his posts about sword making and such. I own one sword that he made, a French Medieval Falchion, and then had a scabbard custom made for it. It gets expensive for sure but its addicting.

If you are on Facebook search out a sword maker named Angus Trim. He posts regularly and shows off his beautiful swords and gives some education on his posts about sword making and such. I own one sword that he made, a French Medieval Falchion, and then had a scabbard custom made for it. It gets expensive for sure but its addicting.
Thank you. I will look at his as well.

Here's my one and only from Angus Trim. Wish I could afford a few more.
Atrim-Falchion.jpg

If you're looking for cheaper yet still quality, Windlass Steelcrafts is usually the base level for a quality sword. And they have a huge variety of styles. I'd also second the recommendation of KOA, usually have the cheapest prices, great selection, and great customer service.

Thanks Man! Appreciate it... Will look into it :)

Back