Sycan and Steens Mountain Trip

Loaded up the rig, wife, my father who is visiting from Baltimore, and enough knives to not use any twice and headed east. Plan was to drive from home base in Eugene, Oregon, South East to our property on the Sycan river, tucked away between the Freemont and Winema national forests.

First stop was at Fort Rock: a volcanic ring of stone formerly surrounded by an inland sea and once home to cave peoples for nearly 10,000 years.

Dad hiking the rim:

Wife Kelley investigating:

On the rim:

Next stop was the Cowboy Dinner Tree restaurant outside of Silverlake. Recreating the chuck wagon meals of the Oregon Outback cattle drivers, they serve up salad, fresh rolls, beans, baked potato, and your choice of a whole roast chicken or a 30 ounce aged steak!

Stuffed and satisfied, on to the Sycan:

Aside from a freak 20 minute hail storm, it was so dry out there that every fire was a one match task!

Sky after the hail:

Cigars and bourbon around the fire. Really roughing it...:

From there, headed SE again on 140 through incredible canyon country, into Nevada, and N to Steens Mountain. Hoped to take the loop up to the summit and camp at Jackman campground. At 9000 feet, it would have been a cold night! The gates were still closed though, so camped at the South campground instead. Here's some views headed up the loop:

Looking for one of the many abandoned pioneer cabins along the base of Steens:

Evidence of a high speed encounter with a swarm of grasshoppers, and obligatory Becker content:

Bk20 was a great camp companion--it handily processed fire wood, carved this juniper cudgel, and gave me the confidence to face all the bears and cougar that I never saw.

As always, I wish I had taken more pictures. I came away with a deeper appreciation of our state's myriad beauty, the wonder with which our ancestors must have looked upon it, and the hardship involved in living amongst it. I'm thankful to get to share it.

Awesome stuff man, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get out even more. Been too long.

I need to get busy on the old YJ. Makes me want to pack the Jeep or my truck up and go! Looks like a great spot. Thanks!

Glad to see the 20 out in the wild. :cool:

Good stuff man, thanks for sharing!
This has me reallt looking forward to Bryson City, NC this weekend.
Camping, not as rough as your trip, from Thurs to Monday.

As always, I wish I had taken more pictures. I came away with a deeper appreciation of our state's myriad beauty, the wonder with which our ancestors must have looked upon it, and the hardship involved in living amongst it. I'm thankful to get to share it.

Love the sentiment. I feel the same in just about every place I've visited, even in my home state (NH). Beautiful pics. Such a varied and beautiful country we are fortunate to live in.....Thanks so much for taking us along.

Loaded up the rig, wife, my father who is visiting from Baltimore, and enough knives to not use any twice and headed east. Plan was to drive from home base in Eugene, Oregon, South East to our property on the Sycan river, tucked away between the Freemont and Winema national forests.

First stop was at Fort Rock: a volcanic ring of stone formerly surrounded by an inland sea and once home to cave peoples for nearly 10,000 years.

Dad hiking the rim:

Wife Kelley investigating:

On the rim:

Next stop was the Cowboy Dinner Tree restaurant outside of Silverlake. Recreating the chuck wagon meals of the Oregon Outback cattle drivers, they serve up salad, fresh rolls, beans, baked potato, and your choice of a whole roast chicken or a 30 ounce aged steak!

Stuffed and satisfied, on to the Sycan:

Aside from a freak 20 minute hail storm, it was so dry out there that every fire was a one match task!

Sky after the hail:

Cigars and bourbon around the fire. Really roughing it...:

From there, headed SE again on 140 through incredible canyon country, into Nevada, and N to Steens Mountain. Hoped to take the loop up to the summit and camp at Jackman campground. At 9000 feet, it would have been a cold night! The gates were still closed though, so camped at the South campground instead. Here's some views headed up the loop:

Looking for one of the many abandoned pioneer cabins along the base of Steens:

Evidence of a high speed encounter with a swarm of grasshoppers, and obligatory Becker content:

Bk20 was a great camp companion--it handily processed fire wood, carved this juniper cudgel, and gave me the confidence to face all the bears and cougar that I never saw.

Damn What a Trip Brother
a youngin and da youngest Becker
Like me some 20's
Great Pics and Thanks for sharing

20's do perform very well

Did I Mention thought I did old age and all

Last edited:
What an awesome trip!

You incorporated all of the finer things, good on ya! The great outdoors, beautiful scenery, family, meat, bourbon, cigars, and of course blades. Epic!

Welcome to my back yard! Awesome country for sure, next time make a trip through the Chewaucan country on your way through.

Back