Synthetic Fiddlebacks and Desert Heat

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by ncrockclimb, Feb 28, 2016.

1. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb

Nov 20, 2014
    I want to keep one of my coffee burlap handled Bear Paws in my truck as a dedicated "truck knife." My only concern is that I live in the desert, and the temperature in my car can get over 140 during a hot summer day. Will this damage the handle in any way?

2. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    I can't say for sure, but most of the resins that I've seen are fine at 140 degrees, and I know that the fine folks at shade tree use the good stuff, so I'd say that you won't have a problem. Just keep it out of the direct sunlight as the radiant energy can really drive up the surface temperatures.

3. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    A good friend, and fellow Fiddleback enthusiast lives in Las Vegas and is a local truck driver there. He keeps a Raptor with burlap micarta in his daily kit, but I don't know if he stores in in his vehicle or not. I will talk to him and see what he says.

4. M4Super90

M4Super90 Biochemical Superfreak

Aug 26, 2008
    I keep a micarta BC in my truck and it's been through 2 summers with no issues. You must have covered parking, because my truck is more like 170-180 and it's white! The first summer I moved to the area I took a potato wrapped in foil and left it under my seat as a joke. 10 hours on a 115 degree day and it was cooked an 1" in!!!!!

5. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb

Nov 20, 2014
    Lol! Cracked windows and a shade in the front window will keep it slightly cooler.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I am good to go.

6. Luca917

Luca917

Jan 10, 2016
    Too. Damn. Hot!

No. Hell no! I'm staying in the mountains of Carolina.

7. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb

Nov 20, 2014
    I moved from NC (Charlotte) back to AZ. Love the AZ mountains, and the desert is cool in the winter... but I still miss NC.

8. fod

fod a la sombra

Dec 6, 2006
    The resin we use is rated to 280 F.

9. ncrockclimb

ncrockclimb

Nov 20, 2014
    Thank you.

10. Marl71

Marl71

Oct 15, 2015
    I'm just curious, at what temperature is the heat treat of the steel affected? Obviously higher temperatures than you would find in a hot car.

11. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Thats hard to say. I keep one in my car here in Atlanta, but it is in the center console, so it doesn't quite get full heat, and no direct sunlight. Its been fine for years.

12. Justarandomguy

Justarandomguy

Oct 1, 2015
    I'm with ya Luca. I'm just north of Charlotte and that's hot enough.