Synthetic Fiddlebacks and Desert Heat

I want to keep one of my coffee burlap handled Bear Paws in my truck as a dedicated "truck knife." My only concern is that I live in the desert, and the temperature in my car can get over 140 during a hot summer day. Will this damage the handle in any way?

I can't say for sure, but most of the resins that I've seen are fine at 140 degrees, and I know that the fine folks at shade tree use the good stuff, so I'd say that you won't have a problem. Just keep it out of the direct sunlight as the radiant energy can really drive up the surface temperatures.

A good friend, and fellow Fiddleback enthusiast lives in Las Vegas and is a local truck driver there. He keeps a Raptor with burlap micarta in his daily kit, but I don't know if he stores in in his vehicle or not. I will talk to him and see what he says.

I keep a micarta BC in my truck and it's been through 2 summers with no issues. You must have covered parking, because my truck is more like 170-180 and it's white! The first summer I moved to the area I took a potato wrapped in foil and left it under my seat as a joke. 10 hours on a 115 degree day and it was cooked an 1" in!!!!!

I keep a micarta BC in my truck and it's been through 2 summers with no issues. You must have covered parking, because my truck is more like 170-180 and it's white! The first summer I moved to the area I took a potato wrapped in foil and left it under my seat as a joke. 10 hours on a 115 degree day and it was cooked an 1" in!!!!!

Lol! Cracked windows and a shade in the front window will keep it slightly cooler.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I am good to go.

Too. Damn. Hot!

No. Hell no! I'm staying in the mountains of Carolina.

I'm just curious, at what temperature is the heat treat of the steel affected? Obviously higher temperatures than you would find in a hot car.

Thats hard to say. I keep one in my car here in Atlanta, but it is in the center console, so it doesn't quite get full heat, and no direct sunlight. Its been fine for years.

Back