Synthetic Ivory Blocks

Looking for linen or paper micarta, G10, Elforyn, etc. in thicknesses 1" or better. I looked on the Alpha website. They have ivory G10 blocks but the color sample looks more like putty/beige than ivory. Anybody have experience with ivory G10 from Alpha? Any other sources?

I use the alternate ivory from masecraft. Its beautiful stuff, I am a little concerned with its durability and plan to test it in a pro setting but have not done so yet. Im sure it would crack and break if dropped on concrete or soemthign like that.

Here is ivory G10 from AKS finished Marc.

W3Si3A1.jpg

The Masecraft ivory really looks like ivory- unlike Micarta or G10.

Thanks guys!

Bill, Tim has concerns about the durability of the Masecraft ivory. Can you speak to that point from your experience?

It's a little chippy in drilling but I have one folder out there with masecraft faux ivory scales that has seemed to hold up well. I much prefer working with G10.

The Masecraft stuff is both soft and brittle- but it's the only good option if you want something that looks like ivory.

Atlas has Elforyn which looks good but is pricey. They don't list a size I can use but it might be worth a call. It may be similar to the Masecraft stuff because in Atlas' description they say it can be chippy.

I guess I spoke too soon about that folder with masecraft ivory holding up well.

26x4lch.jpg

Last night apparently. I don't know what he did with it, if he dropped it or what.

Elforyn Supertusk is the most convincing ivory substitute I've seen. It's quite tough too. The only real drawback is that it's not as hard or dense as real ivory.

I got some of the "Elforyn white block - no grain" from Atlas Billiard in 2017. I see that they still sell it.
To me it was unrealistically bright white (although it got dirty easily), and softer than anything else I have used in a handle.
I doubt I would buy it again, and it is not going to be confused for the real Mammoth ivory I got from Mark Knapp.
Looking at the website today, if I was tempted by anything, it would be the Elforyn Supertusk as mentioned by Cole2525.
https://www.cuestik.com/store/product.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=505&ITEM_ID=6565

Here is alternative ivory from Masecraft and Ivory G10 from Alpha Knife Supply
Alternative ivory polishes nice but it is soft and like soap more than synthetic. In this picture I had the pin too close to the edge and it cracked when peening.

Ivory G10 is like any of the light colored G10s (orange, yellow, ..) and stains easily but cleans easily.

foBsHVM.jpg

YfLJStG.jpg

In this picture I had the pin too close to the edge and it cracked when peening.

That is not why it cracked.

You needed a deeper taper in that pin hole.

Back