Off Topic Sypderco puts Boye dent in Native?.

Hello,

I like the Native a lot, and ordered a couple to have on hand as backups and gifts. But the new models have a Boye dent ground in the lock bar.

This does nothing for the aesthetics of the knife, and actually makes it almost impossible for me to close one-handed.

I sure didn't ask for this "improvement" and I hope they're not charging me more for it.

While I'm hoping, I also hope they don't put these dents in any more models. Does anybody know if they plan to, or already have? I'm specifically concerned about the lightweight version of the Delica.

thanks
iosman

Every Endura, Delica, and Dragonfly I've owned or handled have the Boye dent and I'm glad for it.

The David Boye dent has been on the Delica and Endura since at least the mid-2000s. It was also on prior versions of the FRN Native, my FRN S30V model from 2004 has it. Looking at my Native Salt it does not seem like the dent would be a benefit to closing the knife.

I don't love the Boye Dent in the Delicas either, but that sure didn't stop me from buying...well, a lot of them. (shrug)

Hm, I use the BHQ exclusive Native 5 fairly regularly, strangely enough it doesn't have a boye dent. I have absolutely no problems closing the knife as is, I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference but now I'm wondering.

I am not familiar with the nomenclature of "the dent." Is there a picture you can post? Thank you.

This does nothing for the aesthetics of the knife, and actually makes it almost impossible for me to close one-handed.
It's purpose is to make the knife safer to use . To prevent accidental closure .

Maybe more vital than your stated concerns ? :confused:

I have owned several native's though the years and most had this boye dent, where some older natives did not, I don't mind them but on some models I didn't like it there! like on the caly's, but one can always voice there opinion hear as there watching ie sal and Eric at Spyderco .

I've always liked the Boye dent and it makes closing a knife with the feature easier/ more comfortable for me.
It is interesting that you seem to have a completely different opinion.
Thank you for sharing. That's what Blade Forums is all about, and you've likely informed quite a few people.
Good information to have out there that "hey, the Boye dent isn't for everyone and might make closing the knife more difficult/ annoying"

I realize that the original intent of the Boye dent is for safety, but I've never had a "dentless" lock back close on me even with a white knuckle grip and applying a fair amount of torque.
Concerning safety with a folder, I am of the opinion that you should treat every folder as a slip-joint, just as you would treat every gun as if it were loaded.
The possibility is always there. Mindfulness is the most effective safety.

I've had the dent on a Delica, and on a Byrd, and don't mind the dent at all.

Back