System Three Blade Pro Epoxy

Thanks for pointing this out. I have been using T88, but hadn't come across this yet.

Been using the T88 myself as well. If there is something better though ........

Well, your link gives quite a few properties for each product. They both reach full cure in 3 days. This new one has quite a bit higher lap-shear strength values for many surfaces...
I think I'll try it, although the T88 wasn't exactly failing on me.
The new one has lower viscosity. I'm not sure that is a plus. I don't want it oozing out of joints.

Was noticing the same specs. Good numbers but my reservation is in line with yours. Too soupy is not good. I'm going to order some and see how it goes. Maybe I'll send them a letter or email asking if they could make a version with a viscosity similar to the T88.

*edit: Sent an email asking that they consider a higher viscosity version. Will let you know what their response is.

Last edited:
As I recall the lap shear strength of t88 isn’t stellar....

I keep telling you guys golfworks 24 hour epoxy... but no one wants to listen :D

Epoxy Show Down (2019)

Thanks for the link! From what I can tell both this system three bpe and g/flex has a shear strength of around 3500 psi which would be in line with the golfworks stuff right?

HSC, does the golfworks epoxy have any other benefits, such as being more flexible ?

HSC, does the golfworks epoxy have any other benefits, such as being more flexible ?
Yes. U can also use it to assemble your golf clubs.... :D
j/k. It might be cheaper than the system 3 products. I can’t recall the pricing.

It mixes black and it’s runny so good for me to pour into a hidden tang handle. It’s the ez pour high strength version

fwiw, I didn’t come up with this on my own. I saw Charles Vestal using it in a WIP posted in 2016 here on bf

so then i did some tests of my own and everyone should do the same

Harbeer

Last edited:
For a viscosity (flow) modifier, you can use colloidal silica added to the mixed resin to keep it from running out of the joint. Epoxy is great stuff, just have to use it properly, do surface prep well & correct mixing.

I think the main reason for lower viscosity is easier pouring into the tang hole on hidden tang handles. Otherwise, it looks like T-88 with ma slight increase in hardening speed and lower viscosity.

What I do with T-88 to make it pour like water down a hidden tang hole is to warm it to around 150°F/65°C. That also speeds up the gel time.

I spoke with Brian Morgan from System Three on the phone today.

He says not to assume the viscosity is too low based on the numbers on paper. He is a knifemaker himself. He and a number of other knifemakers have been using the Blade Pro formula for a while with excellent results. He says it is still thick enough to stick to parts and not drip all over the place as you're trying to assemble the knife. The lower viscosity was definitely to aid in pouring into handles etc.

I asked him if he tested his formula against G-flex and others. He said they did and the Blade Pro epoxy either slightly exceeded or way exceeded G-flex in all their tests. He claims the Blade Pro formula is much better than the T88. There was some other information that he shared with me but that information is not ready for broadcast yet.

I asked him about a lot of things. These are some things I learned. I'm not a technical guy so forgive me if some technical terminology is not precise. The Blade Pro formula was formulated with a rubber component that gives the epoxy a lot of toughness and the tenacious grip it has on disparate materials. It excels at bonding to a variety of metals, oily woods, natural and man-made materials. It is stable and unaffected by wide temperature ranges. For example, a full tang chopper used in sub-zero temperatures or a kitchen knife (with waterproof synthetic material handles) in the dishwasher, all good. He says rather than using dyes mixed in with the epoxy they offer colorants for their epoxy which is actually colored "part A". So it is the same component that the epoxy is made of. He did mention that like all epoxies, it will start to soften at around 120˚f. I asked him about larger sized bottles. He said they may take a look at that in the future depending upon demand. Shelf life is indefinite as long as it is stored well, but at least three years.

I probably forgot some other things but those are the basics of the conversation.

I spoke with Brian Morgan from System Three on the phone today.

He says not to assume the viscosity is too low based on the numbers on paper. He is a knifemaker himself. He and a number of other knifemakers have been using the Blade Pro formula for a while with excellent results. He says it is still thick enough to stick to parts and not drip all over the place as you're trying to assemble the knife. The lower viscosity was definitely to aid in pouring into handles etc.

I asked him if he tested his formula against G-flex and others. He said they did and the Blade Pro epoxy either slightly exceeded or way exceeded G-flex in all their tests. He claims the Blade Pro formula is much better than the T88. There was some other information that he shared with me but that information is not ready for broadcast yet.

I asked him about a lot of things. These are some things I learned. I'm not a technical guy so forgive me if some technical terminology is not precise. The Blade Pro formula was formulated with a rubber component that gives the epoxy a lot of toughness and the tenacious grip it has on disparate materials. It excels at bonding to a variety of metals, oily woods, natural and man-made materials. It is stable and unaffected by wide temperature ranges. For example, a full tang chopper used in sub-zero temperatures or a kitchen knife (with waterproof synthetic material handles) in the dishwasher, all good. He says rather than using dyes mixed in with the epoxy they offer colorants for their epoxy which is actually colored "part A". So it is the same component that the epoxy is made of. He did mention that like all epoxies, it will start to soften at around 120˚f. I asked him about larger sized bottles. He said they may take a look at that in the future depending upon demand. Shelf life is indefinite as long as it is stored well, but at least three years.

I probably forgot some other things but those are the basics of the conversation.
Thanks for the recap.
I expect to try it next, even without hearing the extra info isn't ready for broadcast...

One thing g/flex claims to excel at is bonding with oily woods... Wonder if bpe does too

I think the main reason for lower viscosity is easier pouring into the tang hole on hidden tang handles. Otherwise, it looks like T-88 with ma slight increase in hardening speed and lower viscosity.

What I do with T-88 to make it pour like water down a hidden tang hole is to warm it to around 150°F/65°C. That also speeds up the gel time.
I was kind of wondering if heating up gfled would make it gel unmanageably fast. Sounds like not?

I have been using acraglas, they use it to hold shotgun barrels :D
10 years ago it was recommended here often. A big bottle last me a long time but its getting low. I like the 1 to 1ratio, I might try this soon.

I now use JB weld Clearweld. It is sold at HD.
The tensile strength is 3900 psi, remains flexible and does not get brittle and dries clear.

This stuff is very strong you can get it in a syringe or in 2 part bottles.

It has a nice consistency, spreads easily, sets in 5 minu and cures in an hour.

Well I ordered some to give it a go!

Looks like it's 12-14 hr machinable, and 3 day full cure time.

Decently more viscous than g/flex

Back