taco vs pancake sheaths

beestokk

Gold Member
hey all, in the market for one of the bk10 sheaths by azwelke. question is, aside from the pancake possibly fitting the esee molle back (still waiting on a definite answer unless i missed it somewhere), what are other pros and cons of each style (in general, unless you see things relative to his specifically as well)? also, azwelke, yours are made specifically for the limited edition bk10, yar?

Personally I like the Taco style, gives more carrying options.

Also is thinner.

I would take either for the BK10

I like pancake cause theres less sheath usually.

as in bulk?

Personally I like the Taco style, gives more carrying options.

Also is thinner.

I would take either for the BK10

thinner stock kydex or just thinner in general? more carry options such as?? i would've thought pancake would give more carry options bc of more rivets/holes.

both comments interesting as seems you each prefer your choice for being thinner/less sheath but each prefers the other style! unless i'm misunderstanding, hence the questions.

Last edited:
You read my mind Beestokk

Pancake has more attachment points not less right ?
Taco has less outside surface area because its folded and only riveted on the one side.

Fill me in if I am off here, because I have been wondering what people prefer and why also.

Silverthorn
Beckerhead #128

I think the pancake style offers more carry options because of all the extra lash points. But I think a pancake has cleaner lines. Comes down to do you need different carry options and also personal pref on looks

I think the pancake style offers more carry options because of all the extra lash points. But I think a pancake has cleaner lines. Comes down to do you need different carry options and also personal pref on looks

do you mean taco has cleaner lines? only reason i ask is b/c you said "but...." after initially commenting on the pancake.

With the extra holes on a pancake and some cord you can whip up all sorts of carry options in a pinch. Like scout, holster, and even a sling to carry on your back if need be

Best thing would be to ask him, and I believe you would have to send him your knife.

do you mean taco has cleaner lines? only reason i ask is b/c you said "but...." after initially commenting on the pancake.

Because it has less "going on" and by that I mean rivets and holes. Pancake can look busy and overly crowded with holes, where a taco style has a nice smooth transition from one side to the other because of the fold over

Because it has less "going on" and by that I mean rivets and holes. Pancake can look busy and overly crowded with holes, where a taco style has a nice smooth transition from one side to the other because of the fold over

right on i gotcha. your initial reply was "but pancake has cleaner lines" so just checking as i figured you meant taco.

thanks for the replies everyone, keep em comin if additional input!

I don't own any Beckers, but I have had sheaths made by Al and other kydex benders. Taco's are great up on the belt line for small knives and wearing in say a cross-draw fashion. Larger knives I lean toward pancakes. As mentioned above more lash points. If you want to put it on a pack, hang as a Dangler whatever, however. I have screwed a small knife kydex right to a large knife for a combo rig. In a short each have there use and purpose but in the end it will come down to you. HOW will you carry it???
Here is a rig I had for a Busse Mr. MOJO with a 8.5" blade. I had this on in a TACO Cross-Draw.
006-2.jpg

I am making mine with the LE BK10 that I just received from KABAR. Taco style sheaths are fold over with rivets on one side, and are slimer and conceal easier. Pancakes are layered with rivets on both sides, which allows a few more carry options. I think it is all a matter of personal preference. Thank you, Al
taco style

DSCF7610.jpg

pancake style
DSCF7620.jpg

hey all, in the market for one of the bk10 sheaths by azwelke. question is, aside from the pancake possibly fitting the esee molle back (still waiting on a definite answer unless i missed it somewhere), what are other pros and cons of each style (in general, unless you see things relative to his specifically as well)? also, azwelke, yours are made specifically for the limited edition bk10, yar?

sorry, several of us appear to have started drinking way way too early today. I meant to say that I prefer TACO because it means less sheath, ie one less wide seam along the side, this seam being usually full of rivets. I dont need a lot of different carry options so pancake is less useful.

My sheaths are all set up for tek loks, unless you specify otherwise. some people already have a tek lok so I do not force you to buy one with my sheath.
Thank you,
Al

how do you attach the pancake to a belt?

I personally prefer the pancake style. I like its extra mounting options, and the symmetrical look.

But yea, its mostly preference.

Good luck :).

My sheaths are all set up for tek loks, unless you specify otherwise. some people already have a tek lok so I do not force you to buy one with my sheath.
Thank you,
Al

Do you also have molle lok/ have other Becker knives for crafting? Specifically the 9 & 2.

Back