tactical/edc folding knife for around $200

nikshichu

Gold Member
I'm thinking of buying a tactical/edc "beater" knife for under $200. I want an American made folder with a black dlc coated blade and a tough steel (3v, 4v, cruewear). Right now I got my eyes on the Benchmade Mini Adamas and the Para 3, both in cruewear. I can't find the para 3 blacked out version in cruewear (knifecenter exclusive) anywhere, and the satin finished one is too "shiny" to be tactical imo. Actually the first one I wanted to get was the m16 deadbolt 02, but then I thought it's too pricey for a d2 assisted blade knife that's made in China. What do you guys think?

honestly, i find the black blade more of a hindrance in low light, low visibility settings so i wouldn't rule out an uncoated blade.
What do you mean by "hindrance"? Don't you want to be less visible for those sniper ambush situations 😆 A satin blade will also turn more heads in public..

The mini Adamas is a great knife. Benchmade seems to do a decent job with their heat treatment ( I trust Benchmade far more than crkt ). The Spyderco will cut better than the Adamas , the mini Adamas cuts pretty well though. The mini Adamas will tolerate more rough use than the military as well. Flip a coin maybe. Depending on your needs - one has a fragile tip and the other can stab through a car door.

If you can find an older zt 0550 that meets the criteria except black blade. Vinninul tests were really fun to watch, check him out on youtube, I think the 0550 did the best even above more expensive knives other lock types.

The mini Adamas is a great knife. Benchmade seems to do a decent job with their heat treatment ( I trust Benchmade far more than crkt ). The Spyderco will cut better than the Adamas , the mini Adamas cuts pretty well though. The mini Adamas will tolerate more rough use than the military as well. Flip a coin maybe. Depending on your needs - one has a fragile tip and the other can stab through a car door.
Right on. The blade tip strength is another thing to consider, as the para 3 is more prone to chipping, especially the s45vn version. I'm not too worried about slicing capabilities because I already have a few great slicers.

Last edited:
If you can find an older zt 0550 that meets the criteria except black blade. Vinninul tests were really fun to watch, check him out on youtube, I think the 0550 did the best even above more expensive knives other lock types.
A zt is definitely on my radar. But I don't think it is specifically a tactical edc but more of a work knife. Plus it has to have a black blade imo.

You can find some decent knives on the exchange. I’ve seen quite a few SHF’s with black blades around $300 lately.. Emerson might fit your specs also ( cqc7 or A100 ).

I definitely prefer darker finishes for work reasons as well. The non knife people lose their shit when a shiny “weapon” is used on a box. The blacked out knives are a little more discreet in my experience.

You can find some decent knives on the exchange. I’ve seen quite a few SHF’s with black blades around $300 lately.. Emerson might fit your specs also ( cqc7 or A100 ).

I definitely prefer darker finishes for work reasons as well. The non knife people lose their shit when a shiny “weapon” is used on a box. The blacked out knives are a little more discreet in my experience.
Yeah exactly a black blade is most important. lf we're talking $300 we're talking fixed blades because I already have a crk inkosi and that's gonna be my last "expensive" folding knife.. for now at least.

spyderco salt serrated or plain edge black - the original black spyderco salt was issued to us armed forces for use in survival kits
spyderco native chief lightweight black
spyderco native lightweight black - knifecenter sells a black g10 handle cru-wear version of the native

Civivi do an elementum wharncliffe that will open boxes and people.

And I believe I saw one that was even wharncliffier. Which I think is a good choice in a tactical knife.

Not American though

The amerite. Would be worth a look.

My only blacked knife blade is the Microtech Troodon mini OTF. I always thought blacked out blades would show cutting scratches but mine is M390 DLC and the wife and I use it to open mail and boxes: I wipe it off and it looks brand freakin' new. I love this OTF and it is California legal so I can carry it. Oh, it is snappy AF.

IMG_3641.JPG

"Tactical"-EDC . . .and a folder?

I would say that about anything with a point and an edge that you find comfortable to carry (EDC) and is easy for you to deploy would do.

At the upper end would be a Cuda Maxx, except they are discontinued and~$500.
Cold Steel has their Ti-Lite in several sizes and handles.

After Them, I'd say that about any largish folder that deploys well for you would do.

My EDC is not necessarily for serious tactical use. It is a Leatherman Wave.

By the way my considerations for a tactical folder.

And by that I mean a knife for stabbing people would be.

Easy to get out.
Easy to put back.
A lock that isn't going to fold.
A handle that that you can hang on to.
Left handed.

Otherwise I like the idea of defensive wharncliffes I think they do some cool things. They slash a bit better. And they do this weird slash thing when you stab with them.

And then that good utility wharncliffe shape means seatbelts and cords, clothing and stuff like that is also manageable.

As far as dark goes. Mabye being able to tell where the knife ends in your hands stop you cutting yourself?

I don't know.

And that elementum gives out the Yojimbo vibe. Without the Yojimbo price tag.

So in Australia the Amerite will go for $160 in a green and black.

Where the sexy blacked out yojimbo is $350.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying a tactical/edc "beater" knife for under $200. I want an American made folder with a black dlc coated blade and a tough steel (3v, 4v, cruewear). Right now I got my eyes on the Benchmade Mini Adamas and the Para 3, both in cruewear. I can't find the para 3 blacked out version in cruewear (knifecenter exclusive) anywhere, and the satin finished one is too "shiny" to be tactical imo. Actually the first one I wanted to get was the m16 deadbolt 02, but then I thought it's too pricey for a d2 assisted blade knife that's made in China. What do you guys think?
I don’t know if matters much to you but I wanted to point out that many makers are using Cerakote these days instead of DLC.

Benchmade is one of them but I don’t know about Spyderco.

Back