"Tactical" Flashlight vs TSA Security?

Seems like lots of flashlights are adopting a “tactical“ look, particularly with added “teeth” around the front of the lens (I am sure there is a proper technical term for these). I’d hate to have one confiscated at the airport, so before I ordered one, I was curious to know if anyone has had a problem with carrying one of these - or any other modern flashlight - through TSA security.

I thought I heard of that happening.
It was on this forum about 2-3 months ago.
TSA is a confused and beast.
You may get a reasonable person or a half-wit.

Crap like this is why I refuse to fly. The last time I flew, I had my M4 in my hand with the bolt 550'd to my pocket. Strange enough we couldn't have a knife on us. We were active duty 11 series guys. WTF, over?

I've been through TSA a few times with my Quark (non crenelated) and they've opened it up and checked the battery before. So my guess is a larger light with crenelations will be scrutinized even more than my Quark.

I've also flown with my Quarks a few times in the past, no problems there.

One thing to note is you have to carry your spare batteries in your carry on. I did once pack an L-Mini in my checked baggage all by itself in a side compartment of my hard suitcase only to find that somebody turned it on and left it on when they went through my bag. I tried for the life of my to figure out how it would have turned on by itself and couldn't (recessed button and hard sided suitcases should play well together). Needless to say, I double check that I tailcap lockout all lights now before flying.

There have been reported cases of some of the more-agressive-looking flashlights -- and also "tactical" pens -- being confiscated, yes.

TSA's list of prohibitted items includes (paraphrase) "and anything else our officer thinks looks frightening." It's up to the judgement of the agent and you don't have a lot of recourse. You can ask for a supervisor, but his propensity is going to be to back up the officer unless the officer is just clearly out or line.

So, it is best to avoid the agressive-looking lights with the striker bezels and such.

I own a Surefire E2D. I travel all over the USA and Canada for my work. I never leave home without the E2D with the Crenellated Bezel. I loathe traveling by air. But I'm not skilled at doing anything else other than what I'm currently doing. So it is the price of doing business, unfortunately.

I just take all my stuff, pens, lights, keys, watch, etc and put it in a plastic bag and insert it in my carry on suitcase and run it through the TSA scanner/X Ray machine. I travel at least 20-30 times per year and have taken that light on every mission.

No one has every taken the light out of my suitcase and questioned me - yet. Once years ago before I started using the current system, I threw it in the round coin and key dish along with my other stuff. An agent picked up the light and said "what do you use this for?" I said "to see in the dark!" Then he progressed: "why do you need this on this flight, and I retorted for the same reason I sit in an exit row aisle seat, the same reason I wear a seat belt, is because if there is a castostrophic failure of this aircraft I want to be able to find my way out of a smoke filled cabin in total chaos." The Agent, avoiding this convesation from going any worse in front of hundreds of people said, "okay sir" Case closed.

I've carried it in my suitcase ever since.

I've been in most of the 50 states and never once in three years been questioned about the light. I blend in with the rest of the non-professional nitwits and look like a typical vacationer. I've never had a problem.

But I carry a Fenix AAA light as a back up in the event I lose my Surefire to TSA. I suppose it can happen but for me it is the price of doing business in this economy and security climate. Unfortunately in my profession one doesn't make a lot of money. But in spite of that, I'm not leaving home without some basic tools just because I'm afraid I'll lose them. I actually use these tools daily and am not going to deprive myself because I'm fearful someone might take it. They might, again - the price of doing business in this world. I just pick up some more pop cans and save my pocket change and order another light when I get home.

At this point...I'm tired of living in fear and wonder about all the "what if's". I"m not advocating anyone else do this...but if it isn't illegal, immoral, or not against any rules I'm taking it...if it gets confiscated by someone thinking they're saving the world then so be it. I have a back up and I have a work around plan - I just Charlie Mike.

Last edited:
Flying is always my last option because of the BS.Last summer when my Father was dying I had to fly.On my flight home after he was gone they screwed with me so much I almost missed the damn flight and I got there plenty early.It looked like the Starwars cantina and who do they pick to screw with,ME.I always make sure to never have anything on me,not even coins.If you want to keep your flash light my advise to you is put it in you're check in luggage.In the past I've had one TSA guy let me keep a lighter then the next time they would take it.

I have no problems with my Surefire E2DL when flying, but have moved to my LX2 and Titan for EDC carry.

I'd keep the sharps off. I carry a 6P or a Fenix TK10 w/o any problems in my handcarry. My pocket dump will be a Plain Jane Fenix P1 in the natural finish or Maratac AAA.

Best advice is, if you want to be sure you get to keep it, leave it home.

Agree with the "frighting comment". Stick with a standard Fenix or similar, however I have had weirder stuff confiscated. In Doha Qatar, they took my 550 cord (20ft roll) and chapstick since they looked "like bomb devices". No shit retard. Its cordage and chap stick, what a douche. However a few minutes later the same rocket scientist shined my Jetbeam M1X into his eyes. What a tard, but I laughed out loud.

I have had my PSK confiscated due to "well I dont know what this is so it goes" so be it I took out anything on the TSA list. I have had an empty nalgeen been tossed since "its better to be safe", plus a few other things, but I also have made it to Osan Korea with a RSK in my backpack (actually in the pouch on the strap, but still). Its so hit or miss, sometimes you actually get a TSA agent who knows something like the guy who ID'ed my Kifaru Molle Express I use as a carry on or my TAD gear spectre jacket on the way to Abu Dhabi. I fly for a living so I am use to deal with stupid, unfortunately, its a waste of time to even ask for a supervisor anymore.

I missed a connection in SF CA from Korea in Sept. The guy setting me up with a hotel, was to busy playing mack daddy to even get my tickets right so I almost missed my other 3 connections the next day. I wish I could have reached across the counter and straightened his braids with the back of my hand, but I made it home, so be it the last flight in Phoenix was close, and TSA wanted to do a "physical screening" I told the guy he could stick his finger up my rear as long as I made this flight and I wouldn't care. He broke down laughing and waved me thru. The door of the aircraft was closed before I sat in my seat. Glad I didnt get a search.. or a finger.

On the way back from Iraq last month, a few guys ordered "I got to 2nd base with TSA" shirts. I didnt, and still missed my flight in George Bush and got home a day later.

I'd keep the sharps off. I carry a 6P or a Fenix TK10 w/o any problems in my handcarry. My pocket dump will be a Plain Jane Fenix P1 in the natural finish or Maratac AAA.

Best advice is, if you want to be sure you get to keep it, leave it home.

If you leave it at home: you can't use it. If you can't use it, why did you buy it?

I agree, bring something without crenelations, but I always bring a flashlight in my carry on. You never know when you're going to need a flashlight and being in an unfamiliar place away from home greatly increases the chances of being caught in the dark.

Protecting the world @ 9 bucks an hour. As everyone says it's a toss up and depends on the person you get. I've been pulled aside a few times so they could feel me up and then other times I've gotten some really cool guys. I think it depends allot on the airport to. Like Chicago for instance I haven't come across a TSA grabber that hasn't hated there job. But other places like Denver were more than fine. I've lost a few pens but never a light. Lost a few lighters to. Anything I would be worried about usually goes in my checked.

I flew 58k miles last year and never had anything disappear from my checked including knives etc. I did however get the tsa notices that they wanted to touch my junk in my suitcases upon opening them at the hotels.

One of the reasons I picked up an Olight M20S is because the crenulated bezel (just learned that term reading this thread) is removable. If you fly alot, you may want to look into it.

However a few minutes later the same rocket scientist shined my Jetbeam M1X into his eyes. What a tard, but I laughed out loud.
I've had this happen and I agree that it is rewarding. This is why I ALWAYS set my Fenix or 4Sevens lights to the max turbo setting before I fly.

My "flying on the plane" EDC, is not the same as my "at home" EDC.

Travel stuff is Maglight and Gerber folder. Buy a lighter at the airport when you land. Be prepared to throw everything away.

I don't want to look like a vacationer - I want to look like someone that flies all the time. I have my shit together, my bag packed right and I want through the line as efficiently as possible.

Last time I got a pat down was leaving Jamaica. Me and my duty free rum got on the plane with no issues.

Dumb question here: What reason do you have for carrying a "tactical" flashlight on a plane? If I need to take a flashlight along, I pack it in a bag (carryon or check in), and let it go through the scanner. I'm pretty sure the plane has lights in the cabin.

Back