"Tactical" Is Not a Purpose of Use and Represents an Undesirable Design Feature

This post may generate a proverbial crap storm. If so, hold on to your umbrellas.

"Tactical" is not a philosophy or purpose of use. It is not a desirable design feature in a knife. What is "tactical?" It is the outdated, unrealistic concept of using a knife in a "self-defense" situation against another human being. This is an unrealistic concept given the proliferation of firearms, severe legal consequences of using a knife in self-defense, and rarity of situations where use a knife in self defense is even plausible. Let's be honest here: how many of you have ever, in any way, used a knife in a self-defense situation? Ten-percent of forum goers, perhaps? How many people in the general population, which consists overwhelmingly of civilian EDC and outdoorsman users, have ever used a knife in a tactical application? It is especially painful to watch knife reviewers critique/reject outstanding knives for the purpose that it is not sufficiently "tactical," especially when tactical uses are all but mythical.

Granted, there is a small, close-knit community of ACTIVE military and LEO that might, conceivably need a knife for "tactical purposes." But "tactical" applications of knives among members of the military is an extreme rarity; instead, knives are more akin to tools and sharpened pry-bars. This begs an obvious question: if "tactical" applications are incredibly rare, why do tactical design features dominate the modern folding knife industry? Why are design trends being pushed in a direction that perceive of knives not as EDC cutting tools, but as "black on black tactical hard use folder of ultimate doom?" If anything, "tactical" represents a placebo effect and source of ownership pride for many knife users, who value military aesthetics and life styles. Carrying a tactical knife, perhaps, is a way to feel connected to those aesthetics and the basic human instinct of "I'm armed, look out, bwahahahaa."

"Tactical" is a concept that has infected almost all modern production folders to one degree or another, with exceptions few and far between. Symptoms of "tactical" knife design disease are excessive jimping, excessively rough grip, unnecessarily thick blade stocks, impractical opening features, blade coatings on stainless steels, and a number of other features that defy any logical explanation. Further symptoms include militaristic marketing and branding, excessive LEO/military discounts, and what has become an arms race to produce the biggest and baddest 'hard use' folder. It has resulted in an increase in fatter, thicker, "hard use" knifes that weigh more, slice less easily, and strive to achieve the "tactical weapon" aesthetic.

I own and love dozen of knives that embrace the tactical aesthetic to one degree or another, but the features that make it "tactical" are usually the weakest aspect of the knife. For instance, the 810 Contego handles outdoor and EDC use like a boss (breaking down huge boxes, batoning wood, etc.) but suffers from awkward amounts of jimping. My large voyager slices like a dream, but has scales that obliterate slacks and light denim.

I'm not saying that tactical design features do not serve a purpose. Instead, I'm arguing that such features are over represented and driven by an artificial, philosophy/purpose of use. This philosophy, as I've tried to capture, is influencing modern folding knife design in unfortunate ways by promoting design features that do not meet the needs of the overwhelming majority of knife users. The Sebenza 25 is a shining example (wider blade stock, heavier, and more jimping than Sebenza 21).

At the end of the day, what should be done? Is tactical a long-lasting but passing fad? Will people ever grow out of the tactical aesthetic? If not, will it continue to influence and negatively impact knife designs?

Questions, questions. Coffee.

I agree with every thing you said.....all I have to add is, tactical sells simple as that. And yes It tends to be over hyped:yawn:

Now I believe I'll have a cup of coffee myself..and enjoy a very interesting thread!

Stay sharp!

-niner

I think most knife lovers understand that a lot of "tactical" designs of knives are more for eye appeal than function. However, a lot of the elements of a "tactical" knife are useful in EDC roles as well. I like a quick opening knife no matter the application. I tend to like black knives, just because I like the way they look. I like super grippy scales for outdoor use so that the can grip the handle well in wet/cold conditions.

Some people have this hate for tactical style knives but the funny thing is they are not much different than regular knives except how they are marketed and they might be a bit more geared with combat in mind. However, I maintain the basic makeup of a tactical is also part of what makes a good all-around knife for outdoor use.

The great thing about knives with all those tactical features you dislike is that you don't have to buy them. The knife world is full of plenty of options and if you can't find what you are looking for there are plenty of great knife makers that can build you exactly what you want.

When I was in the military a sharpened prybar was exactly what I needed 90% of the time. I was rough on my knife because it made a lot more sense to me to abuse my knife instead of carrying a knife and a crowbar.

I do hate the term "tactical knife". It immediately makes the knife more likely to be considered a weapon in a legal sense rather than a useful tool.

+1 I would also add that the blackening of blades makes absolutely no sense for self defense. One of the major psychological advantages of drawing a knife in defence is for your attacker to say to himself "Sh*t, he's got a knife and freeze/go on the back foot while he recalculates "strategy"". All of that disappears if he can't see the blade. Black blades are for stealth attacks.

I think tactical means more on the sharpened pry bar side than the self defense side. Tactical knives don't appeal to me because of this. They're all too thick in the edge to accommodate this feature.

I agree that most folks, including me, have no clue what a defensive or so-called tactical usage of a knife really entails. See brother Mercop's first hand accounts and decades of training in this regard. He pretty much poo poo's the knife as a defensive weapon, especially when the bad guy is smashing your head against the wall.

Even with that knowledge, I still would rather carry a knife that is theoretically capable of usage in a defensive scenario. And I carry a firearm all day, every day. Consider the Bladeforum member who defended his son against a cougar attack about a year or two ago, using a Caly 3.5. Or a dog attack is not an unrealistic possibility. If a dog clamps down on my forearm, do I want to start cracking off rounds with the other hand? Not really.

Additionally, there are those like Brother CM, who is barred by operation of law from carrying a firearm. Would his best defensive weapon be his hands, a hammer or a baton? Maybe. Probably. Thats another discussion.

A while back, someone posted a video of about 4 armed Mexican police trying to subdue a knife-wielding maniac. The police ran like little girls, and not all got away. It was a sick and frightening demonstration of what a true life and death struggle entails, which few of us - me included - can really wrap our brains around. Instead, we read and participate in threads where some 17 year old kid is asking about which is the best knife for "knife fights".

So if I'm understanding your thesis correctly, I largely agree with it. That is, knives are not good means of protecting ourselves or others, and we largely have no clue what it would be like to try to use a knife in the midst of a real threat of imminent serious bodily harm or death - which it the only scenario in which a defensive usage of a knife is justified.

This post may generate a proverbial crap storm. If so, hold on to your umbrellas.

That crapstorm never really materialized.

"Tactical"? I don't like it. Some people do. And as long as people do, they will be made. Nothing new and nothing to get too worked up about, imo.

"Tactical" is not a philosophy or purpose of use. It is not a desirable design feature in a knife. What is "tactical?" It is the outdated, unrealistic concept of using a knife in a "self-defense" situation against another human being. This is an unrealistic concept given the proliferation of firearms, severe legal consequences of using a knife in self-defense, and rarity of situations where use a knife in self defense is even plausible. Let's be honest here: how many of you have ever, in any way, used a knife in a self-defense situation? Ten-percent of forum goers, perhaps? How many people in the general population, which consists overwhelmingly of civilian EDC and outdoorsman users, have ever used a knife in a tactical application? It is especially painful to watch knife reviewers critique/reject outstanding knives for the purpose that it is not sufficiently "tactical," especially when tactical uses are all but mythical.

Granted, there is a small, close-knit community of ACTIVE military and LEO that might, conceivably need a knife for "tactical purposes." But "tactical" applications of knives among members of the military is an extreme rarity; instead, knives are more akin to tools and sharpened pry-bars. This begs an obvious question: if "tactical" applications are incredibly rare, why do tactical design features dominate the modern folding knife industry? Why are design trends being pushed in a direction that perceive of knives not as EDC cutting tools, but as "black on black tactical hard use folder of ultimate doom?" If anything, "tactical" represents a placebo effect and source of ownership pride for many knife users, who value military aesthetics and life styles. Carrying a tactical knife, perhaps, is a way to feel connected to those aesthetics and the basic human instinct of "I'm armed, look out, bwahahahaa."

"Tactical" is a concept that has infected almost all modern production folders to one degree or another, with exceptions few and far between. Symptoms of "tactical" knife design disease are excessive jimping, excessively rough grip, unnecessarily thick blade stocks, impractical opening features, blade coatings on stainless steels, and a number of other features that defy any logical explanation. Further symptoms include militaristic marketing and branding, excessive LEO/military discounts, and what has become an arms race to produce the biggest and baddest 'hard use' folder. It has resulted in an increase in fatter, thicker, "hard use" knifes that weigh more, slice less easily, and strive to achieve the "tactical weapon" aesthetic.

I own and love dozen of knives that embrace the tactical aesthetic to one degree or another, but the features that make it "tactical" are usually the weakest aspect of the knife. For instance, the 810 Contego handles outdoor and EDC use like a boss (breaking down huge boxes, batoning wood, etc.) but suffers from awkward amounts of jimping. My large voyager slices like a dream, but has scales that obliterate slacks and light denim.

I'm not saying that tactical design features do not serve a purpose. Instead, I'm arguing that such features are over represented and driven by an artificial, philosophy/purpose of use. This philosophy, as I've tried to capture, is influencing modern folding knife design in unfortunate ways by promoting design features that do not meet the needs of the overwhelming majority of knife users. The Sebenza 25 is a shining example (wider blade stock, heavier, and more jimping than Sebenza 21).

At the end of the day, what should be done? Is tactical a long-lasting but passing fad? Will people ever grow out of the tactical aesthetic? If not, will it continue to influence and negatively impact knife designs?

Questions, questions. Coffee.
Q_Q Cry some more. The minute someone dismisses a knife as a possible self defense tool, is about the same time they purposely turn off part of their brain. It's like saying it is unrealistic to wear a watch now that we have clocks on our phones. The tool doesn't cease being useful in multiple applications, you're just turning off the logic that identifies it as a weapon as well as a tool. What are you going to do in the [highly unlikely] event that you are attacked and run out of ammo? You may say you won't need a knife for backup, but then....why do you think you need a gun? If they come out with laser guns, are you going to call hard caliber guns unrealistic?

Gimmicks sell.

Coffee sounds good!

I don't there is as much gimmick (meaning to cheat, deceive or trick) as simply different styling.

A black blade has advantages in that, depending on the finish, might not shine/reflect which is an advantage if you don't want people to notice a blade. Grippy handles are practical. Strong locks are practical.

What part is the gimmicK? Maybe the marketing is a gimmick but you can say that of both tactical knives and any other type of knife.

I did mean "gimmick" from the marketing stand point. You see alot of crappy knives out there with tactical in the advert for the knife or even in the name.
I agree with you on the black blade and practical strong locking mechanism. Even that most are super grippy which can be good in even non tactical situations.

To clarify crappy knives, I mean the cheaply made ones found in certain magazines or auction sites.

I did mean "gimmick" from the marketing stand point. You see alot of crappy knives out there with tactical in the advert for the knife or even in the name.
I agree with you on the black blade and practical strong locking mechanism. Even that most are super grippy which can be good in even non tactical situations.

Yup, totally agree on the marketing. Some knives are basically made out to be be the ultimate SD weapon or they are "used by Navy Seals"....ect.

However, a quality built knivfe with all of the tactical features is still a quality built knife.

Yup, totally agree on the marketing. Some knives are basically made out to be be the ultimate SD weapon or they are "used by Navy Seals"....ect.

However, a quality built knivfe with all of the tactical features is still a quality built knife.

Yep yep!

Good post, and I agree. I dislike blade coatings, thicker blades(prefer my old Sebenza's over the 25), anything other than very light jimping, rough scales, etc...

I was a meat cutter for many years(and owned a game processing business) working with cold bloody knives that had smooth handles with no jimping. They were easy on the hand, and I never had one slip. My fixed blade hunting knives have smooth handles, and little, or no jimping.

Hopefully the knife world will get off of the tactical bandwagon soon.

I stand corrected about the crapstorm not materializing! :)

HA! I just see this as another pointless, whiny post we could really do without. As a whole lot of people said above...if you don't like it, don't buy it. It isn't like the whole tactical thing influences every knife out there. There are too many designs, materials, and styles to get stuck with one thing.

Yeah I could really care less for the marketing aspect of it.

Knives are a multipurpose tool. That is all.

Back