"Tactical" Is Not a Purpose of Use and Represents an Undesirable Design Feature

This post may generate a proverbial crap storm. If so, hold on to your umbrellas.

"Tactical" is not a philosophy or purpose of use. It is not a desirable design feature in a knife. What is "tactical?" It is the outdated, unrealistic concept of using a knife in a "self-defense" situation against another human being. This is an unrealistic concept given the proliferation of firearms, severe legal consequences of using a knife in self-defense, and rarity of situations where use a knife in self defense is even plausible. Let's be honest here: how many of you have ever, in any way, used a knife in a self-defense situation? Ten-percent of forum goers, perhaps? How many people in the general population, which consists overwhelmingly of civilian EDC and outdoorsman users, have ever used a knife in a tactical application? It is especially painful to watch knife reviewers critique/reject outstanding knives for the purpose that it is not sufficiently "tactical," especially when tactical uses are all but mythical.

I'm not saying that tactical design features do not serve a purpose.

At the end of the day, what should be done? Is tactical a long-lasting but passing fad? Will people ever grow out of the tactical aesthetic? If not, will it continue to influence and negatively impact knife designs?

Questions, questions. Coffee.

Your opinion is well stated however it is just that and you are entitled to it. Nothing here is meant to be construed to be negative in reply to yours, I'll simply state just another opinion.

I think your distinction between practical and tactical is fairly accurate. You're correct that many manufactures are adding a tactical appearance and or features in their products. ( Thank you to all manufactures that do ), I do not have a problem with that as long as it there is a purpose. Function and eye appeal are the objective of the manufacture to meet the desire of the buyer.

I used to drive muscle cars for only one purpose, they looked good while doing the speed limit ( most of the time ) I did not need to have that much horse power nor did I need to have a car quite that big but, it is what I desired and what I chose.
Today cars are styled in the same manner, they look fast even if they are not. Eye appeal and performance is still the rule. You can still only drive the speed limit but you'll look great getting there.

Knives are styled to meet the demands of most but not all people. The manufactures appeal to what is popular and what sells. If the knife has great eye appeal and style it will sell. If it has that plus great function, materials, weight, balance and performance is sells even better. Just like the the cars I've mentioned it is all in the marketing to meet the desire and needs of the buying public.

I'm able to find military and tactical style knives that serve both exceptional functionality, utilitarianism and they happen to look great.
Everyone has a tolerance or acceptance level for what they find desirable. The criteria with knives is deep and wide. Everyone is different but when it comes down to it, we prioritize and I think most people start with eye appeal or the style of the knife. If it looks good, we are all going to want to see it. Not everyone is going to desire it based upon their personal preference but just like any other product, it most likely is going to be marketed to a wide diverse customer base where majority rules.

The mindset of tactical is marketing and even if its not truly a tactical knife i.e. Spyderco PM or Police etc, they can be used for such and people will buy them based upon the intended or implied use with regards to their prioritized criteria that they desire. different strokes for different folks.
If you like your stag horn old timer, God Bless you, it servers your purpose and as long as your happy. If you like your assisted opener half serrated tanto with para cord lanyard, I'm happy for you.

There are many of us that simply feel better when we have a knife in our pocket, ready to be deployed for the cutting task standing before us.
The tape on that box stands no chance. The same could be said for those of us who chose to carry a knife for personal defense. If the need ever to defend yourself or a family member ever came to be, you're ready for it or at least you'll feel like you're ready. There goes that desire and need being gratified for your personal intent based upon your personal desire with that prioritized list starting with eye appeal and other criteria.

Now I've not forgotten the issue that I believe to be your main gripe with the mil/tact knives. The fact that the huge amount of $12 - $20
Chinese folders have possibly influenced some style of the current selection could be a reason. On the other hand these cheap imports are
also in most cases attempting to clone themselves according to the other more popular higher quality reputable brands. They do play off one
another with more of the later being the most common.

In some cases we might suspect that some of the manufacturing processes are shared to cheapen the products we buy. Its only been in the last 20
years or so that we see knife blades that are unfinished or with grind marks, bead blasted finish and worthless enamel coatings offered from
some of the more popular manufactures. They are attempting to make price points for everyone. I don't mind this but, I do mind if they incorporate
inferior materials or if performance suffers when using the same recipe for the more expensive knives. Don't cheapen the good stuff.
The knives at a known price point should remain at the current level of fit, finish and materials. You get what you pay for. We are forced to watch
carefully and educate ourselves in our buying decisions.

If you like a certain style of knife, buy it. If you do not then obviously you will not. I do not prefer fantasy knives or tanto blades so I
do not buy them. I am happy that manufactures have them readily available for those of you who do and would not want it any other way.

I don't believe that it is objectionable for the manufactures to blend the mil/tac virtues with EDC utility. I find it quite pleasing but its
not the only thing that offered and I'm glad of that too. Most of us have more than one area of interest regarding style. As far as Mil Tac
being a passing phase or fad, I hope it lasts, I hope it continues, I hope those of us who enjoy them continue to do so and i hope it helps
keep the manufactures in business.

Zeroed4x

http://www.kissalivethetribute.com

Back