Tactical or Tactical Look knives?

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Good Evening JK Knife Community, I was thinking through more things to draw up to show you guys and gals, and I came up with a concept I'm not sure will be popular, but I thought I would ask a higher-level question 1st.

So, do you like tactical knives, or tactical look knives? The likes of a Kabar USMC come to mind, or a Fairbairn Sykes style dagger. I know the Kabar has oodles of utility use, and I've read the Fairbairn is surprisingly capable as well for other uses.

John can't do the soldered guards so if I designed something, it certainly wouldn't have a crossguard, but I was kind of thinking getting an interpretation of a USMC or semi-dagger design could be a nice challenge for me. Tactical knives certainly aren't my bread and butter as I have a natural bent towards the outdoor designs.

White handled Commando

I think that's kind of what I had in mind with the Fairbairn Sykes commando. Beautiful knife, not sure how many people buy it or have an interest in one. I have an idea kind of based on it, but it would look pretty different by the end.

If I'm wrong in thinking what you might be thinking, I wouldn't mind a picture to get on the same page.

Might be interesting as long as it has some practical use.....I personally like the WW2 Ek Commando knives, and I think John made a guardless version in white micarta awhile back which may not have caught on. Single edge but had an unsharpened a swedge on top. I have sometimes admired the shape or outline of Fiddleback's Sneaky Pete. That looked tactical with a good point and good handle but still utilitarian. Maybe use those outlines as a basis for a model.

I’ll post some photos of my favorites later today.
The Commando probably will never be made again, it was the nicest knife I’ve ever made, but it didn’t sell. I finally had to hold a raffle to move it. The person who got it wasn’t even from BF.

The Commando probably will never be made again, it was the nicest knife I’ve ever made, but it didn’t sell. I finally had to hold a raffle to move it. The person who got it wasn’t even from BF.

That's not too re-assuring. The one I have in mind would be closer to the Modern Bowie than the Commando, but it seems like you should at least be able to sell one of them. Suppose that's the whole point of asking here though, is there really a demand for them or do we just like looking at pictures of them?

As mentioned above, the improved bowie, not tactical but tacti-cool, but worth a look, maybe with a micarta handle. What is the blade thickness on the Improved Bowie?

Edited.

Last edited:

But John, you sold a lot of raffle tickets for that knife as I recall. I even ponied up for a couple and I'm a known cheap ass Scotsman.
MAKE THE MATCHING MINI VERSION!

It seems all my older pictures are gone. I wanted to post the C/U-7 and C/U-3.5 too.

qhs8vnV.jpg

Small version of dagger ground by Mike Irie[designed by me], blue G10 scales & sheath by me. Countersunk scale holes line up with sheath dimples to lock blade in place when worn as a neck knife with a beaded chain.

when I hear tactical, I think Ek, Kabar Mk 1&2, Cattaraugus 225Q, Gerber Mk 1 & 2, applegate-fairburn, V42, sgian dubh, and Randall.

I think of those more as Combat/Fighting Knives. When I think Tactical, I think of the 80’s and 90’s when Ernest Emerson and Bob Terzoula started the trend and term Tactical.

Back