1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Recommendation? Taichung Workhorses

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by lieferung, May 14, 2019.

1. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    Titles says it all, I'm well aware of the good users from Golden and Seki, but can you recommend some good Taichung models for serious work?

2. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    The Gayle Bradley 2 is definitely worth a look for serious use I think.

3. PStone

PStone

Mar 3, 2018
    Caribbean.

I also am fond of the PPT as a user/worker.

John_0917 likes this.
  4. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Take your pick from this list complied by RamZar of all of the: Spyderco's Taichung (Taiwan) Folders.

I own 34 out of the 91 knives listed.

I am a collector and do not "use" any of them but all of them could could certainly be used for "serious work" depending on the intended use, which you do not specify, but it would be a shame to use some of them (especially those from the Ethnic Series) which I view primarily as works of art but that doesn't mean they couldn't be used for "serious work" as well.

It just depends on what kind of use you have in mind.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    kreisler, cbr1000, b00n and 3 others like this.
  5. ferider

ferider Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Kitchen: Hundred Pacer, K2; Outdoors: GB1 and 2.

6. Soulrack223

Soulrack223 Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2007
    The original Gayle Bradley is my go to workhorse, yard work knife. Love it.

sgt1372 likes this.
  7. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Not sure of the type of work you would be doing, but I have been carrying a Sheepsfoot Caribbean for the last few weeks. Strong lock, good sized handle, rust proof blade, liners, TI pocket clip. It gets my vote!

8. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Bradley all the way. It's a serious knife with a great steel.

9. Enactive

Enactive

Nov 30, 2018
    Definitely the Caribbean and Spydiechef.

10. lieferung

lieferung

May 24, 2016
    I'm definitely not surprised the GB1 is getting so many recommendations. I tried to get one a little while ago but the opportunity passed and I spent the money elsewhere.

sgt1372 likes this.
  11. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Definitely the GB. One that's surprised me a little is the Sliverax. It's certainly not what I'd call a hard use knife but that negative blade angle makes it pretty effective for cutting thick cardboard. It has a large guard too.

EricEStahl likes this.
  12. PStone

PStone

Mar 3, 2018
    The bushcraft is pretty heavy duty imo

13. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    The Domino is like a scaled down Manix with a flipper tab and classed up a bit. For the price you see them at nowadays it’s worth the price, especially considering the XHP blade steel. I miss mine so much I’m considering another one again.

14. WadeWilson

WadeWilson Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 21, 2011
    I would throw in the Smock. I've had mine a little over a week so I can't really speak to the long term about it. But right off the bat, it feels really solid. The grip thickness is right for my hands and feels substantial without being too much. The lock up is on point. Not even a hint of wiggle once the blade is deployed. Speaking of the blade, love how thick the stock is but also how thin behind the edge it is thanks to the deep hollow grind. It just feels solid and stout all around. Begs to be used. I've shredded through cardboard, zip ties, and plastic blister packs with this thing and it just takes it without question or hesitation. I know it's not a design for everyone but I'm truly smitten.

15. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Are you open to fixed blades? If so, you might want to consider a Mule Team (MT) blade made in Taiwan

Some of the MT blades (made both in the US and Taiwan) are very expensive on the 2ndary market ($150-200) but Spyderco is currently offering a CPM154 equivalent (RWL34) made in Taiwan for just $70 and also currently have the G10 scales and Bolatron sheaths available (which are often NOT "in stock") for another $45 & 30 more; $145 for the total kit which is a very good deal IMO.

I just discovered the Mule Team series and recently picked up an MT23 20CV blade w/black scales and a Bolatron sheath and an MT25 LC200N w/earth brown scales and a leather sheath. Not cheap but a nice pair to add to my small collection of Spyderco fixed blade knives which also includes the Street Beat, Street Bowie, Reverse and Ronin.

I'm wearing the MT25 in the Bolatron sheath right now. It sits very close to the body and is easily concealed but also easy to access. The blade/body length/size is almost identical to the Manix (when opened) that I am also carrying now. However, the MT is a little lighter/more compact and feels a little better in the hand than the Manix does.

So, if you're looking for some "serious work" knives, I'd also highly recommend that you consider a Mule Team fixed blade knife as well.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  16. Warbow150

Warbow150 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Proficient or a mule.

17. bbturbodad

bbturbodad

Feb 18, 2019
    The mule team MT26 PM A11 (10V class) is a great "serious use" fixed blade and available for $69 + handle and sheath of your choosing.

[​IMG]

David Richardson likes this.
  18. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

Gary W. Graley and sgt1372 like this.
  19. bbturbodad

bbturbodad

Feb 18, 2019
    Thank you for the heads up on the sheaths being back in stock. I figured they weren't coming back since the program is over. Now I can stop using that mora sheath I've been using. :)