Tailswitch or sideswitch, clip or no clip

I have been using a Fenix TK11 for a couple years now. Tailswitch, fixed output. Fits in the pocket OK, no pocket clip. Its a little clunky, but has worked without fail as long as I keep batteries in it.

I am looking for a replacement, something a little slimmer. Looking at all Fenix models- the TK15UE, LD12, UC30. Question is with the functional switch. Is it a ON/OFF switch as well? Or is it simply a function switch? Concern is being in a pocket, no sheath, and being activated by a bump, grabbing keys, etc. Both lights I have are both tailswitch- I have an older Surefire that has a push button, but will not stay on unless you screw the tailcap down-so I am partial to those as being the only on/off switch. I am getting older, and i am slowly coming around to all the bells and whistles on everything today. I Like the output change idea, but I have never had the need or desire to change it. Now that it is readily available, I will think about it.

Or question is the pocket clip. My Surefire has a clip, and I keep it in a shirt pocket. If I keep it in my pants, I do not use it. The TK does not have one. Anyone rely on it in their pants carry? I now carry a large multitool, moneyclip wallet, knife (or knives), car keys, and they are getting a little full.

I am open to light suggestions as well. I cant complain about either Fenix or Surefire (at least the old ones), so I would be happy to continue on with those brands. I know many other companies make quality stuff too, but I have no experience with them.

Thanks guys.

IMO, single output lights are fine if they aren't high lumens. Try to find a dropped cell phone under your car seat at night and get ready for instant night blindness. I have lights from Fenix, SF, Eagletac, and NiteCore (thinking about picking up a Streamlight too).

Although I carry a different one depending on circumstances, my favorite combo is the head twist for high only or brightness modes, which are controlled by the tail switch. Specifically, the one that remembers what brightness you left it at (my old Nitecore and Eagletac have this).

Many newer flashlights are switching to the side button for brightness modes. It is easier to switch between brightness levels, but I don't want to accidentally bump it with the way I hold my flashlight.

The reason I prefer the head twist plus tail switch brightness combo, is that I prefer to carry with the high output ready to go, but if I need to switch to a lower level, I can twist the head without turning on the light first. I also prefer having the tail switch, as it is usually a disconnect to limit battery drain while off, and it works well with the way I hold the flashlight for quick illumination tasks.

I'm in a different camp...I don't particularly like twisties. I have a few, and I still carry/ use them; but I find them inconvenient. Overall, I think my preference is for a tail switch for on/off; with a side switch for power selection. My main issue with a side switch for on/off is the number of times I've found such lights turned on in my pocket (shirt or pants).
I have a few that the tail switch controls power and mode...like the twisties, I still use them; but I find that interface less than convenient for my usage.

I've got an LD12 which has been awesome. The pocket clip can be reversed which makes it handy for clipping onto a hat brim for a make shift headlamp. Its also handy for holding a lanyard loop so you can hang it easily. The side mode button is simple enough that I can lend out the light without an explanation. Its water proof enough that it sat submerged in the bilge of a boat for a night in the cold with no issues. Using AA cells is handy since you can always find replacement cells, and standardize across devices if you're back packing. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't tail stand with a lanyard tied on, which is a pretty minor issue.

I'll add, you might also think about pocket clips. My current carry is in my left back pocket. I really like the deep carry clips for the smaller lights (single AA or CR123). This might not be relevant to your requirements though.

Thanks guys.

I looked at a couple of twisties- Nitecore I believe. I want to keep single hand operation. Maybe I could manipulate it one handed but it seems more of an inconvenience to me.

The more I look, the more the function button makes sense to me. So I have pretty much resigned myself to a tail switch with a functional button for brightness modes. AS it was pointed out, I can unscrew the tail and keep from draining the batteries.

Still ambivalent about the pocket clips. I see the point of having as mentioned-on a hat, maybe to hold it on a thin surface and work hands free, etc.

Think I am going to make a decision tonight.

I recently replaced my TK12 with a PD35.
960 lumens and nearly half the weight.
5.3 oz v 3oz and smaller in size

For an EDC flashlight I like tail buttons and don't mind bezel twist, but for a larger flashlight that I'll point around a lot I like a thumb button on the side.

Have you considered anything from Four Sevens? The Quark Click seems to be of similar size as the lights you listed. It's 700 something lumens on high, and it has a low mode. Also has momentary on. It's a great light and simple. Comes with a nice sheath and it has a removable clip. I use both the sheath and the clip with my lights.

Back