Take-Down Knife Design and Demonstration

I thought this an appropriate place to give this information.
I have at least two collectors coming to see how their knives were designed, (and one of them taking me to dinner! :D ) as well as a huge number of makers.
I will be demoing "Take-Down Knife Design" at the 10th annual Mid-America Blade Smithing Symposium in Troy, Ohio next week.
I did a similar demo in Topeka, Kansas last year at the ABS Heartland Symposium.
I will show how these two knives were designed and will do a real-time pinning and assembly of the hunter.
Three days of fun in Ohio.
Stop by if you can.

The frame handled Fighter is built like a tank. San Mai blade and will get a hot blued steel guard and frame. Handle material not yet determined.

Hunter is Cru-Forge V, stainless steel guard and stabilized end-grain spalted Pecan.

I must add that the purpose of this demo is to show makers how they can accomplish these construction methods with readily available materials and the simplest of hand tools.
With nothing more than a drill press, band saw and a file guide - a maker can build these:

.....With nothing more than a drill press, band saw, file guide (And enormous amounts of talent!!!) - a maker can build these:

Fixed that for ya Karl!
These are awesome, thanks very much for sharing your methods. I still need to give one a try.

Simple and Functional "Take Down" constructions to last a lifetime. Accomplished by not so simple Skills and Craftsmanship! A pleasure to the eyes ... every time I see one.

Hello Karl, Very nice work and thank you for posting. I like the thinking behind this type of construction. How do you plan to attach the handle material to the frame of the top knife? Pins through the outer frame?
Thank you.
Nathan

Fixed that for ya Karl!
These are awesome, thanks very much for sharing your methods. I still need to give one a try.

I was just about to say......!:eek:

World of difference between someome filing away at knives and that Karl B. Andersen beauty!

I use this construction on my knives, after Karl showed me how a few years ago, and I will be attending his demo next weekend. Glad you are going to make it down Karl I look forward to this hammer-in every year! Thanks for sharing your technique Karl it has helped my knife making out a great deal. -Burton

Screws.

Hello Karl, Very nice work and thank you for posting. I like the thinking behind this type of construction. How do you plan to attach the handle material to the frame of the top knife? Pins through the outer frame?
Thank you.
Nathan

The purpose of the demo is multi-facted.
I'm showing how makers of all levels can use these techniques using only hand tools and BASIC shop tools without the need for lathes and mills.
Seriously - that rock solid frame handle was assembled precisely with only a file guide and a band saw.
And the finial components on the hidden tang hunter are available almost anywhere and all that's needed is a drill press.
From these basics I will show how a maker's FREEDOM!!!!!! of control of his materials sky rockets and opens doors to places he always wanted to go - but didn't know how to get there.

Back