Talk me into a 940

I own the 940 and the 940-1. Stellar EDC knives. If I could only own one folder it would come from the 940 family.

Some musings on the 940. I had a moment of weakness a few days ago and posted it for sale. Post was up a few hours and then I pulled it down. This is my typical behavior when I get a new knife. I waffle back and forth, tell myself I don't need it, then tell myself it's the best and gonna be a lifelong companion etc. Sometimes I sell the knife and miss it tremendously and buy it again. With the 940, it's pretty pricey, to me anyway, and so I don't want to buy it multiple times taking a hit each time. But, this knife has something about it. In reality it's more knife than I need for EDC but after work and on weekends this is going to be in my pocket. My daily carry lately has been a Dragonfly H1 serrated and it's an AMAZING knife. I bought and sold it a few times in the past before it stuck. Now it's a staple. The pic below shows the change I'm dealing with going from the DF to the 940. There is two times the amount of blade sticking out the front of your hand when holding the 940. I lined them up for the photo by where my index finger sits when holding them. I'm rambling. EDIT: All of that to say that the 940 is a very different knife than I'm used to, but what an awesome design. ALSO is there an interview where Warren Osborne talks about this design? I'd love more details and insight into his design process and history of this knife.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Last edited:
The thing that gets me is even though the blade is just shy of 3.5”, it’s seems like there is far more cutting edge than the other knives I’ve owned with the same length blade. But only when you hold it. I like it, like a crazy optical illusion.

I agree 100%. Optical illusion for sure. Just got off the phone with Alex at Benchmade. She's sending me deep carry and split arrow clips to try on this thing. Happy.
The thing that gets me is even though the blade is just shy of 3.5”, it’s seems like there is far more cutting edge than the other knives I’ve owned with the same length blade. But only when you hold it. I like it, like a crazy optical illusion.

I put the order in via their customer support email. Should be getting that satin deep carry within the next week or two myself

Late congrats on the new knife. I’ve had 4 different variations of the 940 and this one is my favorite. After gettting this one I sold the rest of the 940s I had. No matter what model you get, they are great knives.

i-qNknPF5-X2.jpg

Ok. This wasn't planned but I slipped and got a sheepsfoot mini grip to compare to the 940. This was the knife I was originally going to get before the 940 grabbed my attention. Here's the problem. This mini grip is perfect. Centered. Solid. Crazy good action. I can have it drop freely and silky smooth with zero play. Impressive. I had a Ritter Grip years ago but sold it off to finance something else. This knife is top notch. Same s30v steel as the 940. Where it pales in comparison is the scales. Hard to go from 940 aluminum to super rough plastic. Now I'm curious as to which aftermarket scales can bring the mini up to the level of the 940. This muddies the water a bit for me. Really can't....really SHOULDN'T keep both knives. Maybe I shouldn't say muddies the water because the 940 is going to stay, but dang....this mini is gooooood. Darn you Benchmade.

Last edited:
Late congrats on the new knife. I’ve had 4 different variations of the 940 and this one is my favorite. After gettting this one I sold the rest of the 940s I had. No matter what model you get, they are great knives.

i-qNknPF5-X2.jpg

This is the best looking 940 to me, better than 940-1 and way better than 940 alum, 940-2, and 940-1501.

Ok. This wasn't planned but I slipped and got a sheepsfoot mini grip to compare to the 940. This was the knife I was originally going to get before the 940 grabbed my attention. Here's the problem. This mini grip is perfect. Centered. Solid. Crazy good action. I can have it drop freely and silky smooth with zero play. Impressive. I had a Ritter Grip years ago but sold it off to finance something else. This knife is top notch. Same s30v steel as the 940. Where it pales in comparison is the scales. Hard to go from 940 aluminum to super rough plastic. Now I'm curious as to which aftermarket scales can bring the mini up to the level of the 940. This muddies the water a bit for me. Really can't....really SHOULDN'T keep both knives. Maybe I shouldn't say muddies the water because the 940 is going to stay, but dang....this mini is gooooood. Darn you Benchmade.

Same boat. Was gonna get a 940 but got a crazy deal on a new 555hg 154cm and am in love.
As far as scales, I’ve learned to live w the grivory, but the Wilkins scales look like they take a mini grip to another level (and slightly longer) but are crazy compared imo.

Will still probably eventually get a 940, but I also got a Mini Crooked and Bugout immediately following the 555hg.

This is the best looking 940 to me, better than 940-1 and way better than 940 alum, 940-2, and 940-1501.
I agree. The 940-1 would be my second choice while also looking a lot better than the other models.

Action question for you 940 folks. I can get mine to drop freely without blade play when the knife is locked up, but when the knife is CLOSED, it wobbles back and forth. Right now I have it set up tighter but I can pop it open easily and flip it closed with some wrist action. I do like the free dropping blade but not at the cost of having the blade flop back and forth when it's closed. I've done the loctite and adjust in crazy small increments. I'm curious if something else can get the blade to stay put when closed. Polishing washers? Some other trick?

The 940 is one I've looked at and then looked at some more, for like 12 years, but have never bit off on---too dainty and overpriced.

I much prefer a stouter knife---have multiples of 520's and 525's---a 908 Stryker is in my pocket right now---loving it.

289F6EFF-7999-4A18-BFA0-5777153BD527_zpsianh710v.jpg
Be Be sure and have Benchmade send you a free split arrow clip to try. Excellent match for the 940 and it feels better in hand than the standard clip.

They’ll send you a free deep carry clip too if you ask. Personally I find the the deep carry to be my favourite. It sits abit higher off the knife scales but actually it makes a great extra place to grip when flicking the blade open and shut like a lunatic.

This is a great side by side comparison. Just goes to show...940 all the way! :D

Can you find out for us if the 940 (green aluminum vers) with the purple backspacer has an aluminum or titanium backspacer?

I always wondered what that purple backspacer was made from.

Back