Talk me into or out of a Microtech UTX70 or UTX85

So I've been collecting knives for a while now and I've got a couple dozen pretty nice knives, mostly Spydercos and Benchmades. That said I've been on the fence and going back and forth lately about buying an OTF auto, preferably the Microtech UTX70 or UTX80 because of their compact size, and let's face it they just look cool. So I figured I would come to you guys to either talk me into or talk me out of buying one of these knives. They aren't exactly cheap at around $250 so I want to be sure of my decision. Part of me says they are so cool and everyone needs one in their collection at some point in time, but the other side of me says that it's just a phase and it will end up being sold or traded off after the cool factor wears off. So tell me what you guys think. Do you own one? Have you owned one? Is it indeed a phase that passes and should I not waste my money? The knives I own now are pretty conservative compared to the OTF autos. I have PM2s, Sages, Gaye Bradley's, Griptilians, 698 Foray, just to name a few. So this would be much different from what I now have. Let me know what you guys think and help me move in one direction or the other.

If you can carry it legally, the UTX-70 or UTX-85 from Microtech are excellent usable knives.

The 70 is like a pocket scalpel, but due to no safety on it, may be best carried in a pocket case, like a William Henry.

If this is your first automatic Microtech, the Ultratech is the way to go, great price and excellent knife...just about the perfect size, weight and feels great in the hand, big hands or small.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

If you can carry it legally, the UTX-70 or UTX-85 from Microtech are excellent usable knives.

The 70 is like a pocket scalpel, but due to no safety on it, may be best carried in a pocket case, like a William Henry.

If this is your first automatic Microtech, the Ultratech is the way to go, great price and excellent knife...just about the perfect size, weight and feels great in the hand, big hands or small.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks for the input. How is the size comparison on the ultra tech compared to the UTX 85?

Thanks for the input. How is the size comparison on the ultra tech compared to the UTX 85?

The UTX 85 is 85% of the size of the Ultratech, and the UTX 70 is 70% of the size.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Microtech has an extremely questionable warranty department and you're considering a knife that's almost impossible to service yourself. They also have a poor track record as far as intellectual property rights are concerned. If I was interested in a DA OTF I would look at Benchmade or wait for someone to license the Deadlock from G&G Hawk, but I would never consider one from Microtech.

Microtech has an extremely questionable warranty department and you're considering a knife that's almost impossible to service yourself. They also have a poor track record as far as intellectual property rights are concerned. If I was interested in a DA OTF I would look at Benchmade or wait for someone to license the Deadlock from G&G Hawk, but I would never consider one from Microtech.

The Warranty Dept. issue has been apparently sorted out with 30 days being the current reported turnaround time. Will not address the other areas, as it's likely to devolve into rudeness.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

This is why I ask because I'm unaware of anything that has to do with auto knives. As far as the Benchmade Infidel I think it's a great knife and it's actually the only OTF I've ever held in my hand aside from the HK which also seemed ok. However the price of the Benchmade is almost double the price of the Microtech and I'm just not ready or interested enough to invest that much money in an OTF auto. Thanks for the heads up though on the issues of Microtech as a company.

This is why I ask because I'm unaware of anything that has to do with auto knives. As far as the Benchmade Infidel I think it's a great knife and it's actually the only OTF I've ever held in my hand aside from the HK which also seemed ok. However the price of the Benchmade is almost double the price of the Microtech and I'm just not ready or interested enough to invest that much money in an OTF auto. Thanks for the heads up though on the issues of Microtech as a company.

Happy to help. I will say I certainly don't think anyone is wrong or has some moral failing for buying Microtech, just that their history is worth looking into a bit. As for the warranty if they have corrected the issue, as Mr. Garsson indicates, it would lessen my trepidation, but in my years here I've heard almost nothing but horror stories.

Most issues with knives not having a good turn around these days are on knives that have custom hardware being done in smaller runs. So if something gets jacked up sometimes people have to wait for the next run to get parts. The ultratech does not suffer this as its one of if not the most popular model they make and they share parts with a few other microtech OTF's making parts plentiful. If however you wanted to get something comparable for a little less money H&K is a brand that is licensed benchmade and they have the Turmoil, Tumult as well as the epidemic. All great knives though not quite as attractive as a microtech but great knives nonetheless. I however would not worry much about buying and owning a microtech. Most issues these knives are going to have are going to be a dirty knife which you simply flush with some lighter fluid (thanks gzb) and drain. Once in awhile your spring will break but many times its just the last coil that breaks and you simply bend a new one at the end of the spring and you are back up and running. There is also a rumor that disassembling your knife voids the warranty. Its really only a half truth. If you disassemble your knife and in doing so you break the knife, lose a part or modify the internals you are no longer covered and will need to pay for the repair. Just make sure you put each body screw in the hole you got it from and don't do anything stupid to the inside of the knife.

I got an ultratech a couple months ago. Awesome quality and solid feel, I open and close it a couple times a day. No issues and it makes me smile everytime I use it. No buyers remorse and happy I got it. I got the bayonet grind.

4FCA858A-852A-40E0-B831-4FF2F45ED659_zps60k2isxs.jpg

You are far more likely to hear people with complaints. Most people that don't have issues rarely take the time to make a post saying there are no problems.

I have a 70 and love it for the pocket toy factor. I marvel at the engineering how the blade rockets open and rockets closed. I so much want to take it apart and see how that spring(s) work.

That being said it's not very useful to me as a utility knife for cutting chores. The ergonomics don't work for my big hands.

Still a cool knife I'l probably never sell

Back