Talk of a Wee blade, the story unfolds

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Talk of a 2-3" blade came up the other day.

Now get off yer arses, work out the details and I'll do my damndest to make it happen.

Let me know if and when you want polls set up and tell me what you need, otherwise I'll just watch until you need me.

Start with the basics, move to the details.

Here's something I like, a Bark River mini skinner.
I like that it's a small blade, 2 5/8, yet the handle is full-sized.
This as a framework for some special Redmeadow flair ??

full
full

This little Michael Morris has a blade under 3” with a cutting edge of 2 5/8”.

It turned nine years old this month.

It has stopped me from buying several others in the similar blade length and handle size as this one does everything I ask of a knife this size.

952BD83B-DD2E-4E21-8A2A-3E91E072BA6A.jpeg E8811466-0A6C-444D-9B1B-9EB8B7945A26.jpeg

Don't have much time tonight but I was thinking of starting this very thread. My preference (will start with preference then defer to compromises as required).

• The bottom of the 3 that Chris is showing or his Morris knife, appeals to me.

• Would prefer no less than a 3" to 3- 3/8" cutting edge & a 4" handle

• Forged blade with some forge scale left unpolished - similar but more deliberate as # 1 in Chris' photo or the areas left unfinished as with his Morris knife. That's a great blade shape

• I especially would love another exceptional Redmeadow stacked leather handle. The stacked leather makes it a Redmeadow to me. In this case a ChiliStack rather than the Smokestack of the bullnose. All chili red with a black highlight. Basically a red mirror image of the Bull. Similar details with bronze fittings.

Looking forward to watching this evolve. Thanks for asking John.

Ray

Decisions to consider early...
• Tang Construction
• Blade length

• Poll?

• Is this a good project for a forged knife? Are you in full blown madness yet ?;)
No/Yes
• Since I am asking for a Redmeadow stacked leather - full tang. I don't mind the heft in a small knife. It's negligible in any case.
Stacked would be a stick tang, scales would be full tang
• 3" to 3-1/4". 3" of cutting edge is the sweet spot. I would prefer a sheath knife not a pocket carry.
3" Max
• 4" - slightly +/- handle

• Can you forge the poll too? :rolleyes: (ray being a WA - sorry I was dropped on my head as a child.)
I meant a thread poll to vote in
• Are you asking us to reach a consensus on one blade style and dimensions? I'm guessing yes.
Yes.
• Will the finish details be optional (handle style, bolster/cap etc.) OR - do you prefer that we agree on that as well for a ONE DESIGN?
One design, limited options. This would be like a "Group Custom".
Thanks.

Ray
If you guys dont mind the intrusion, I'll ghost into your posts to clarify things, I won't change your text.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tang Construction
Blade length

Poll?
My preference is a blade less than 3" but at least 2.5" (easy to edc).
Full tang, doesn't matter if it's visible or not.
A Leather handle is cool.
And what kinda steel do you typically use?? I prefer stainless. Typically Carbon Steels 52100, O1, 1095. I'm not opposed to stainless for this project.

Tang Construction
Blade length

Poll?
Stick tang. Handle must be large enough to control the blade well while still fitting the blade style.
2.5 to 3" blade.
Polls are always helpfull in creating more questions.
Steel? 52100 or if you delve into stainless, AEB-L is my new addiction. The edges you can get with it are insane.

Here we go then :thumbsup: Perfect to answer within the thread. Thanks.

AND - just sayin' out loud - I don't just want just a small fixed blade I want a small Redmeadow Blade. Otherwise I can get a JK or a Fiddleback - all nice enough but no one does stacked leather like ye John!
Thanks Ray.

Can the pizza have different colored sauce on the slices? o_O
Not when it comes to the leather. Maybe we'll have some spacer options though.

Ray

I'll change the Poll to blade styles in the morning. Drop, Clip, Spear, Wharncliffe, Zulu?

Stacked leather 4in handle and 3 in blade drop point please

Back