Talk to me about 940 QC

Hi all!

So I'm approaching a new knife purchase and they're few and far between these days as a result of having a baby (which is amazing, don't get me wrong, but has certainly changed the way I buy Knives). As a result I'm being very careful about what I pull the trigger on.

Of late I've gone the CRK route because I don't mind spending the extra cash in exchange for the confidence that a purchase will be free of issues. That being said, I've been thinking about adding some new Knives to the collection to add a little diversity to my edc. I've never had or even handled a 940 model but I've been intrigued by the design for years and years at this point.

Now, I'm not trying to come in here with any negativity or start anything. That being said, I've heard and read plenty about somewhat inconsistent QC regarding blade centering and blade play. Play, as long as I can adjust it out is no problem. I tend to run my Knives on the tighter side anyway so that typically alleviates that problem. Blade centering is not a huge deal breaker for me unless it's egregious.

So can anyone speak to recent QC regarding these concerns? I'm specifically looking at a 940-2. I know benchmade has stellar customer service so I'm not concerned about that. Just wanted to test the waters before I took a chance.

Again, I apologize for any negativity this might bring to the sub-forum! I just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Although this may or may not speak to quality control, if I purchase online, I generally go to some of the more popular knife dealers (some of which are well known here) and put in the "notes" area for them to check the knife for proper blade centering, lockup, etc. I do this when purchasing any knives online from KW, BHQ, KC, KSF, DLT, etc. So far I have been lucky to only have one knife from those dealers have an issue (it wasn't a BM), and the issue was not related to what I asked them to check before shipping it out.

Benchmade's QC issues seem to be mostly aesthetic in nature, at least in my personal estimation.

It seems like poor blade centering and uneven grinds are the most prevalent problems that people have had with Benchmades (at least the ones that frequent this forum anyhow) - stuff that I have experienced, but not in such a negative way that it's bothered me enough to have Benchmade's CS try and fix it for me (I was able to fix the blade centering on my 940 myself).

On the flip side, there are also people here who have had some pretty spectacularly, terriblely finished knives from Benchmade, even some who have had some knives that mechanically didn't work the way they were supposed to - but again (in my estimation) these instances seem to be much less frequent than Benchmade's more common cosmetic fit and finish issues fwiw.

If you're going to be ok with (potentially) small, not-effecting-function fit and finish issues, or are fine with returning your knife if it's not to your standards or using Benchmade's outstanding CS, then I say absolutely pull the trigger on the 940-2 you've been considering. It's a phenomenal design from Warren Osborne that Benchmade tends to do very well.

P. S. Fwiw, my 940 had a slightly off-centre blade that I was able to properly align, and even if I hadn't been able to fix it, it would still be one of my all time favourites!

TL;DR: Buy the 940-2 you've been looking at, the design is well worth any relatively minor finish issues (if any) you may encounter.

I had what I considered to be bad grind issues with a 940-1. (CRK is not immune to QC issues either) I returned it to the factory and they made it right. It took about 2 weeks to get the knife back. Centering, fit and finish, Axis adjustment, all were just right. It's my favorite knife. I say go for the 940-2 if that's the one you want. Chances are it will be fine, especially if you ask the dealer to inspect and make sure you get a good one. Worst case scenario, you'll have to send it back to Benchmade for adjustment. It's well worth the wait. Nothing quite compares to a well tuned 940.

CRK can have grind issues but the tolerances are so tight that blade play shouldn't be an issue, especially with the Sebenza.

My 940-2 that I just got has great QC and the 940s I've owned in the past were fine as well.

My 940-2 has great lockup and centering but very uneven edge grinds. Annoyingly uneven. I knew this when I bought it (picked it up at a brick and mortar), and one day I'll fix it.

It is a wonderful knife if you can get a good, clean one. I say, call one of the big vendors (one that has several of them in stock) and ask them if they'll check the knife for fit and finish before sending it to you. Be specific about the things you want them to check (centering, blade play/lockup, grind even-ness, or whatever your specific concerns are). Most vendors will check the knife before sending if you ask, and asking one that has several to choose from allows them to keep checking until they find one that meets your requirements.

Hit or miss really. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen unless I bought from a reputable dealer and specifically asked for it to be inspected first.
I've had 2 940s, 1 943, 1 940-1, and a 940-1701 (the only one I currently have). Both 940s and the 943 I hand selected and were great in the F&F department. The 940-1701 I asked the retailer to hand select a perfect example, and they absolutely came through. The 940-1 was the only one I purchased sight unseen, and it was the worst of them all in the QC department. Uneven grind, lackluster sharpness out of the box, and poor centering (almost touching the liner). I'm pretty good at getting an off center blade centered, but nothing changed no matter what I tried. Needless to say I was quite disappointed in that one.
In summary, they're awesome when you get a good example, but QC issues are out there.

I bought a 940-2 direct from Benchmade and it was perfect in every way. Buy with confidence. If you get a bad one, Benchmade customer service will make it right or any reputable dealer will give you a refund.

Seems like most of the issues that I have seen are with the 940-1, mine included, but it is such a nice "gentleman's" knife that I just fight through it. The pivot kept loosening up so bad that it rattled in my pocket (only when closed, locks up tight when open) so I blue Loctited it, the grinds are off but I can live with that, and it has what almost amounts to a half stop (when rolling open and slowly closing), which I have never figured out, but it fires open with a good thumb flick and I am not the pickiest as long as it locks up tight and cuts.

Get one, it is a time tested and useful design.

Now, I'm not trying to come in here with any negativity or start anything. That being said, I've heard and read plenty about somewhat inconsistent QC regarding blade centering and blade play. Play, as long as I can adjust it out is no problem. I tend to run my Knives on the tighter side anyway so that typically alleviates that problem. Blade centering is not a huge deal breaker for me unless it's egregious.

Just one 940 here = a 940-1 (carbon fiber handle and S90V steel with blue spacers)
not perfectly centered but pretty great. I'm happy.
Was a touch sluggish in the pivot like you like. No play. I loosened it about two degrees for easy swing. It is consistent (doesn't bind) through the full blade travel. I have used it a moderate amount and I am not a fidget flipper. I just pulled it out of my pocket and checked it; no play when open; no play when partly open. A touch of play would be fine with me but she's good !

No flaws in the general look or finish. One could nit pick some very, very subtle details but for the price I am totally happy. I say buy it. But buy it from one of the knife stores, I bought from one that supports this forum. That way you have someone who knows knives that you can have an intelligent conversation with if your luck is not as good as mine was. A side benefit is you can ask them to look over the knife before they ship it to you so it meets your expectations. Worth paying for.

I've got a couple dozen Benchmades in my collection and have suffered none of the major F&F issues that some have complained about here on the forums. I tinker with all my knives and have resolved any of the minor issues I've encountered, such any amount of blade play, centering, or poor factory sharpening.

Most knives need to break in a bit regarding opening/closing action and it's best to fine tune that after some use. I end up sharpening all my knives anyway, so a poor factory edge grind is no big deal to me. Benchmade went through a period where their out-of-the-box edges were generally piss-poor, but they seem to have changed their methods and their factory edges are now wicked sharp, if not just a taste toothy.

Centering is usually pretty easy to fix, and there are several approaches to getting that straightened out. The only Benchmade I couldn't correct was a 940-1. I read and heard from a couple sources that BM had warping issues with those S90V blades and I think that was the issue with mine. I ended selling that knife with full disclosure as I prefer the 943-style blade to the 940 and own a 943-(1) Franken.

So, from a guy that loves his BMKs and has had no major issues, I concur that you should buy a new knife from one of the good BF-supporting dealers that will take care of you and back you up on any issues if you're concerned about QC. Some will screen the knife for you and some won't. The other way to go is to wait for and buy your 940-2 here on the Exchange as I have bought probably half my knives here. Our sellers are generally quite forthright and honest about the condition of their knives and that way you get one pre-screened.

I'll just add that I've bought a half-dozen or more Benchmades new since the latest round of discontinuations plus a couple current models for my wife and myself, have not requested that any be checked, and have encountered zero issues.

I think the QC issues that Benchmade is accused of are often blown out of proportion. Granted there are some and it would be nice if they could tighten them up. I have gotten a couple of Benchmade's in that I wasn't thrilled with some of the QC and had bashed them. Now that I've owned more of other brands I've got spotty knives from them all. I think Benchmade takes more hits because their knives are often priced higher than some competing models. The 940-2 for example has S30v and G10 and runs $170 where the PM2 has S30v and G10 and runs 130.

With the price increase comes service that other companies don't offer though, so you really just have to figure out what you value and go from there.

I have had, or have a 940, 940-1, 940-2, 550 Grip, 710, and probably a few I have forgotten. All were excellent, and without any F&F issues.

So can anyone speak to recent QC regarding these concerns? I'm specifically looking at a 940-2. I know benchmade has stellar customer service so I'm not concerned about that. Just wanted to test the waters before I took a chance.

i've owned a few axis lock benchmades (two variations of a nakamura, a valet, mini grip, two variations of full grip, and 940-2) and only one of them was free of the quality control issues i look for, and i'd say three of them were acceptable. and yes, i'm keeping score. Benchmade makes some great knives, but i find it unacceptable that they charge these prices and i feel like i'm rolling dice whenever i have one coming my way. i know most people who do buy benchmade (including myself) are ok with "a little centering issue", "a little blade play", "a little this and that", but i'm not going to lie, it kind of sucks always just hoping for a good knife and just compromising.

here is what i look for and yes, only one out of seven knives passed this very short test. for what it's worth it was the 940-2
- no blade play
- blade centered
- even grind

*my non axis lock benchamdes are some how fantastic. i have a 210tk which is in my permanent collection and one of my favorite edcs when i'm carrying a bag. i had a perfectly good small summit lake which i miss so much now... maybe it's just the axis lock that requires a lot smaller tolerances, but it's your invention... do it right. there's zero excuse for grinds being off, the one's that were off for me were clearly visible to the naked eye, didn't have to measure anything.

Last edited:
Don't buy sight unseen. If you buy online do so from a dealer that will inspect it. The F&F issues are plenty and they are livable... But for the cost no other manufacturers have that many issues and so constant. Most people don't care about the issues, but I do.

Off center screw heads. Out of round pivot collars, mismatched and uneven scales, burnt blade edges, uneven blade edges, up and down blade play and or side to side blade play, broken omega springs, uneven blade centering. Lock stick.

I've had the majority of these issues. Tell me I'm wrong for complaining about this on new $200 knives. When all the other brands I get don't have these issues as common as BM does.

And here's the kicker... All the big knife reviewers on YouTube see this too. And plenty of online customer reviews too. Look at the reviews on Amazon for the 940-1 the majority complain about poor blade centering.

Last edited:
I think the QC issues that Benchmade is accused of are often blown out of proportion. Granted there are some and it would be nice if they could tighten them up. I have gotten a couple of Benchmade's in that I wasn't thrilled with some of the QC and had bashed them. Now that I've owned more of other brands I've got spotty knives from them all. I think Benchmade takes more hits because their knives are often priced higher than some competing models. The 940-2 for example has S30v and G10 and runs $170 where the PM2 has S30v and G10 and runs 130.

With the price increase comes service that other companies don't offer though, so you really just have to figure out what you value and go from there.

i agree, the spyderco benchmade rivalry is what's causing the flack. benchmade QC is lacking compared to stuff coming out of Colorado or Taichung (i've yet to handle a single spyderco out of taichung with ANY noticable QC issue). even my spyderco roadie doesn't have side to side blade play! i got the thing for $30 used

Reactions: Mo2
i agree, the spyderco benchmade rivalry is what's causing the flack. benchmade QC is lacking compared to stuff coming out of Colorado or Taichung (i've yet to handle a single spyderco out of taichung with ANY noticable QC issue). even my spyderco roadie doesn't have side to side blade play! i got the thing for $30 used

Spyderco has their fit and finish issues as well. It took getting a few in to realize this but I've had a couple now. When both companies get it right, they get it right though! I guess what won me back over with Benchmade was the Customer Service. Outstanding in everyway.

Spyderco has their fit and finish issues as well. It took getting a few in to realize this but I've had a couple now. When both companies get it right, they get it right though! I guess what won me back over with Benchmade was the Customer Service. Outstanding in everyway.

agreed, everyone has issues, definitely not denying that. less than perfect knives make it out of just about any knife company, even Chris Reeve. my point is that benchmade is batting lower than the competition. and in my limited personal experience, significantly lower.

*but as you mentioned, CS is stellar! worse case scenario, you send it to them and at that point, i hear you usually get a good one back. it's as if their business model is to send out some crap along with the good knives, and sometimes they get away with it, and sometimes they get caught. when they get caught they right you. not a bad business model for the short term, but i dunno if it'll last through the competition in the long run

Reactions: Mo2
... my point is that benchmade is batting lower than the competition. and in my limited personal experience, significantly lower...

In my limited personal experience Spyderco is batting lower than the competition, significantly lower. .500 in fact. That's not great odds. My Benchmade 940-2 was perfect fit and finish, as basically all of my Benchmades have been.

Back