Tanto Blades love em or hate em.

I personally prefer Tanto blades. They work very well for how and what I use my knives for. My absolute favorite is my SOG Vulcan. I use the front edge a lot for scraping and precision cutting. The re-curve on the belly makes it an awesome slicer. So much so that I have thought about getting my BM-583 reground to have a re-curve. Below you can see exactly how much I use and abuse my Vulcan.

14313712116_8882bd98c8_c.jpg
[/url]Vulcan by Leroy9669, on Flickr[/IMG]

Super pick Leroy! I really enjoy seeing knives that you can tell have been used. Looks like whatever coating SOG puts on those Vulcans aren't half bad. Never owned a SOG or used San Mai before - looks like a pretty good combination .:thumbup:

Many Americanized tantos have insanely thick tips (think Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto) and thus have the penetration power of a brick. The tanto was designed specifically to pierce armor, so that thick tip removes the one thing it was made for. There is a fine balance between penetration power and tip strength. Many Americanized tantos lean heavily in tip strength, basically making the knife a pry bar, or at least making the purpose of the tanto nil.
This is mostly nonsense. "Americanized" tantos are not designed to pierce armor simply because there is no armor to fight with 6-10" knife these days (when we talk about fixed blades). They are designed to slice and to do utility work and to preserve the tip for heavy use. Whoever can generalize that tantos have penetration power of a brick obviously never seen a Rant, tanto blade designed to penetrate. They are folders with tanto blades as Voyager that are fantastic slicers and also penetrate in very acceptable way, they are tanto folders designed specifically to penetrate as the Hissatsu (which have nothing to do with the original Japanese tanto style blade) or the Striker, if you can tell me that those blades have penetrating power of a brick, I'm sorry but you don't know what are you talking about or you're not realizing that there are differently angled tanto points, for different purposes.
I'm not even going to entertain the mentioned earlier in the thread CS fixed blades, these are excellent knives, they slice and dice without a problem and also penetrate just fine.
There was also a statement earlier in this thread that it's hard to cut with the tanto blade because of the angle one would bent his wrist... Another nonsense. There is no difference between cutting with wharncliffe and tanto balde. None. Whoever can say that he bends it's wrist in order to cut with "Americanized" tanto, simply never have tried to use one. One should actually try to use something before presenting a popular cliché as his opinion...

Super pick Leroy! I really enjoy seeing knives that you can tell have been used. Looks like whatever coating SOG puts on those Vulcans aren't half bad. Never owned a SOG or used San Mai before - looks like a pretty good combination .:thumbup:
That is straight up VG-10, no coating that I can see. That might be one of the only SOG folders I really like due to the blade.
Oh, I can sharpen. I just don't like sharpening a single knife with 2 knives worth of work. ;)

Yes, you sure can sharpen. :thumbup:

Back