Tanto Blades?

image_d66b19cc-0996-46c8-bf60-3f25f16feb5f_1024x1024.jpg

Shobu Zukuri

My old agency was throwing out an expired vest. I found a small piece of 1/2 plywood (hope they didn't need it for anything hehe) in the supply room. I put the plywood inside the vest and set the "target" on a folding chair. Using my Cold Steel Recon Tanto (Carbon V model), I managed to take a nice chunk out of the plywood, through the vest. Woo hoo, gidderdun :D

Don't let the "expired" part fool you. It was still effective body armor. Heck, I believe those dates are just a way to agencies buying on a regular basis. I know they DO deteriorate but not at the rate they "need" to be replaced. My personal armor expired long ago, I'd still rather be wearing it, if I have to get shot.

I like tanto blades.......
Most tanto blades have a hard angle, when I sharpen the blade I don't try to keep the angle and let it become a smooth curve. Like the original blades from Japan.

Nice thread. I'm kind of interested in tanto blades now. I have the Ontario RD Tanto which is a beast, Ontario SP12 and I just got a Ontario Strike Fighter auto. Can't wait to get into the woods and try them. For how thick that 1/4" 5160 is on the RD Tanto, that thing is damn sharp!

The Hinderer with the large finger choil has one of the most solid grips (especially when choked up) on a large 4" folder.

TANTO-2 4.24.21.jpg

TANTO-3 4.24.21.jpg

TANTAO-4  4.24.21.jpg

The Hoback is just a solid but much slimmer in build and lighter, deceptively feeling smaller in hand for something with a blade that's almost 4".

I only have a few, but I'm comfortable enough in my vanity to admit that the ones I have bought were bought because I liked the way they looked :D. I don't care about the stigma, as I don't frequent malls (though I will neither confirm nor deny being a ninja);).

The biggest problem I have with tanto blades is when people pronounce it "TAN-TOE" on YouTube.

My first Benchmade, and first nice knife that started all this madness happened to be a tanto. It served me well as my main carry for a few years, and in all honesty is still my favorite Benchmade knife.

NRkXrEo.jpg

Also have this one that I mocked up and had made from the custom shop

f5fXnse.jpg

ObszZHk.jpg

Back