Tanto face off

Better Tanto?

• Big Bulldog

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Super Cqc 7

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let me put it this way. If it was a knife that I strictly was going to use for self defense that I didn’t care about how comfortable it was to carry I would get a Super 7.

However the cqc7 is just a knife that hits certain sweet spots for me. It is ideal size for an edc knife and comfortable to carry. Imho it is one of the most practical Emersons ever, even one of the most practical knives ever. At the same time with a wave on it you can still use it for self defense. Are there better edc knives? Definitely. Are there better knives for self defense? Definitely. (Imho a self defense folding knife MUST have a wave or wavelike feature)

However no knife is so perfet in the middle as a great edc knife plus a great self defense knife like the cqc7. There are some other knives that can fill the role of both but the cqc7 is my absolute favourite. Its also got a tough tip that you would have to try and break off.

You could also consider the ZT 620/630 for something a tiny bit bigger than the cqc7. Not including Kershaws or ZTs I have had 8 or 9 cqc7s if I count my HD7 too.

u9Rvapv.jpg

cMiUW1B.jpg

jKVGlqA.jpg

It is my belief that every knife guy has to atleast try a cqc7.
Thank you so much. Helped me make my decision to get a regular cqc 7. I also have a zt 0620 and i also have a 630 but the lock ups are horrible. They fail all the time and sometimes when I wave them, they will engage and immediately disengage. Thats why i just stick to my tiger and bulldog now. But man i loved my 630 so much but that lock is just horrible

Thank you so much. Helped me make my decision to get a regular cqc 7. I also have a zt 0620 and i also have a 630 but the lock ups are horrible. They fail all the time and sometimes when I wave them, they will engage and immediately disengage. Thats why i just stick to my tiger and bulldog now. But man i loved my 630 so much but that lock is just horrible

My 620 cf had a lockup that failed with a very minor tap to the spine. Disassembling the knife and bending the lockbar just slightly further in completely solved the issue.

You could try that.

I’m not a fan of the forced grip on the Big Bulldog. If it fits your hand, great. If not, it’ll never feel great.
Agreed. I'm on the odd end of the Emerson ergonomics spectrum. I like the straight handled knives - 6, 7, A100, Tanto, Kwaiken. The only non-straight handle I use or carry is the Roadhouse, which I also love.

The Super 7 is all handle and no blade. The real super 7 was the Benchmade Emerson 975. Now that's a knife.
Eh. If you think the blade to handle ratio is off I could see that, but I think the Super7 blade is plenty big.

Imho the 7 has a better handle. Its handle is actualy deceptively genius because it is so simple. It is extremely comfortable in every grip including ones with the edge facing inward. It also has just enough “guard” to prevent the band from riding up onto the blade during a stab.
Yes. I carry a 7 daily, and the handle is "deceptively genius."

On a straight number level I have more 7's than anything else - 3 customs, 3 Po'Boys, and 4 productions. It's a great, simple, usable knife.

Let me put it this way. If it was a knife that I strictly was going to use for self defense that I didn’t care about how comfortable it was to carry I would get a Super 7.

However the cqc7 is just a knife that hits certain sweet spots for me. It is ideal size for an edc knife and comfortable to carry. Imho it is one of the most practical Emersons ever, even one of the most practical knives ever. At the same time with a wave on it you can still use it for self defense. Are there better edc knives? Definitely. Are there better knives for self defense? Definitely. (Imho a self defense folding knife MUST have a wave or wavelike feature)

However no knife is so perfet in the middle as a great edc knife plus a great self defense knife like the cqc7. There are some other knives that can fill the role of both but the cqc7 is my absolute favourite. Its also got a tough tip that you would have to try and break off.

You could also consider the ZT 620/630 for something a tiny bit bigger than the cqc7. Not including Kershaws or ZTs I have had 8 or 9 cqc7s if I count my HD7 too.

u9Rvapv.jpg

cMiUW1B.jpg

jKVGlqA.jpg

It is my belief that every knife guy has to atleast try a cqc7.
about to pull the trigger on a 7 or super 7, how do you like serrations on yours?

about to pull the trigger on a 7 or super 7, how do you like serrations on yours?

Personally I hate them because they are a royal pain to sharpen but this knife was a gift from a very generous bf member. I would never pick them myself.

That said they don’t ruin the knife and this particular one is actually one of my favourites because it is a framelock. So if you think you’ll prefer serrations go for it. Either way it is a great knife.

Btw I would avoid the 7 flipper model.

Back