Tanto in a Kitchen knife set?

gte217e

Dealer / Materials Provider
Hey everyone,
Has anyone ever seen a tanto knife in a Kitchen knife set? And what could be the use of a tanto knife in the kitchen if one was provided.

Asking for a friend; and this is actually a serious question.
Personally, I have no clue what a tanto knife could be used for in the kitchen.

Thanks

Hey everyone,
Has anyone ever seen a tanto knife in a Kitchen knife set? And what could be the use of a tanto knife in the kitchen if one was provided.

Asking for a friend; and this is actually a serious question.
Personally, I have no clue what a tanto knife could be used for in the kitchen.

Thanks
Looking cool while cutting in the Kitchen would be the primary use, and of course if you were attacked by Ninja you would have a defensive knife in hand! I don’t claim to speak Japanese by it’s my understanding that the name of Tanto means Women’s Knife! —————-Unless you are referring to the Lone Rangers side kick! Tanto?

the Japanese eel knives have a tanto look to them

Looking cool while cutting in the Kitchen would be the primary use, and of course if you were attacked by Ninja you would have a defensive knife in hand! I don’t claim to speak Japanese by it’s my understanding that the name of Tanto means Women’s Knife! —————-Unless you are referring to the Lone Rangers side kick! Tanto?

Umm..were did you hear this "woman's knife" thing?
Tanto is written 短刀, literally "short sword/knife".
I can assure you that it does not mean "woman's knife".
Women of Samurai class carried a short Tanto known as a Kaiken.
(Often written Kwaiken, but pronounced Kaiken.)
Perhaps this is the source?

Umm..were did you hear this "woman's knife" thing?
Tanto is written 短刀, literally "short sword/knife".
I can assure you that it does not mean "woman's knife".
Women of Samurai class carried a short Tanto known as a Kaiken.
(Often written Kwaiken, but pronounced Kaiken.)
Perhaps this is the source?
From others that were advanced in the art of Japanese sword fighting & Sword Making, As I said, I don’t claim to be able to read or speak Japanese.

Yes, I saw you specifically stated that you do not speak Japanese. So I never implied that you did.
I do however. Whoever these "others" are they gave you misinformation.
That's all. No big deal.

I have used a Cold Steel Recon Tanto to split Rutabega and Cabbages to prepair them for the pot.

I'm not particularly proud of it but I also own a cheap Taiwanese Katana to split watermelons
with a minimum of fuss and muss, but only because someone stole an Ancestor's Sabre during
a burglary and I needed something with a long enough blade and the Katana was cheap, but
though cheap and 440 stainless it took enough of an edge to be "useful" while "processing" a deer

Back