Tanto PM2!!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by jstn, Jan 22, 2019.

1. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Well that was quick! Can you tell me how the blade weight compares with a regular para please?

woodysone likes this.
  2. brotherscinco

brotherscinco Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2013
    It certainly has a noticeably heavier blade. It’s actually a little more balanced than the clip point.

3. PAULB63

PAULB63

Jan 19, 2014
    I like the PM 2 Tanto , but I'm not going to pay $200 + for one .I have 9 or 10 PM2's and like all of them , but in the last few years after trying them out on different chores , I have found the all around best one for me is the fully serrated S30V . Covers everything from peeling an apple to opening packages to cutting small branches in the back yard and cutting up lots of cardboard - holding an edge better than the S35VN , M4 , M390 , CTS204 , CTS-XHP , and a few others - all with the factory edge . The 10V and S45VN are close , but still not as "edge retentive " as the serrated S30 . Not to mention I have not experienced any corrosion in any weather - which I guess you shouldn't with S30V . Just my opinion with my particular applications ....

4. brotherscinco

brotherscinco Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 2, 2013
    I agree that there should be more spyderedge PM2s

However comparing edge retention on serrations vs plain edges is kind of apples to oranges

5. PAULB63

PAULB63

Jan 19, 2014
    yeah , you're right about the comparison , but like I said , for me I found the S30 serrated to be very handy in many applications while holding a good edge for a while . I think one reason they don't make a spydie edge in some different steels is because - and this is just something I heard - is that when they grind the serrated edges , it hardens the steel further . So I guess trying it with something like S110V would produce too brittle of an edge ...

6. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I think you're referring to H-1. It's been speculated that this occurs because there's a big uplift in edge retention for serrated H-1 and it's a work hardened steel. Wouldn't apply to other steels.
    I don't think it's been confirmed though because a rockwell tester needs a flat surface when testing.
    I once had a serrated H-1 blade reground to a plain edge and I observed no improvement in edge retention.
    People seem to generally prefer serrations in tougher steels; I think because they are chisel ground and more likely to chip.

7. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Got mine today...

I like it. Seems lighter than the waved version which is important to me. The grind is pretty cool and I look forward to using it.

:thumbsup:

woodysone likes this.
  8. bobby_v

bobby_v Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2015
    For those of you that complain about the “delicate” tip of the PM2, this is your Paramilitary. I like it... feels stout. Pics with K390 PM2 for comparison.

C78C15CB-396B-4D72-9314-75483F0ECFC2.jpeg E563BF82-D54F-4786-B5DD-8B91AF20EB29.jpeg

9. PAULB63

PAULB63

Jan 19, 2014
    Yes , your right . The H-1 is the one I heard it about .

10. SubMicron

SubMicron Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Love it!

PSX_20200801_225423.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Dadpool, jbmonkey, nephron and 4 others like this.
  11. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    If any of you guys that got one have a specimen without bladeplay that you want to sell, shoot me a PM. At first, I didn't like the looks and didn't buy one when they were dropped, but all these pics have changed my mind.

12. Finedges

Finedges

Jul 6, 2009
    Yep. I’ve found the tanto pm2 has excellent balance. It swings close with just the right weight. Balances on frame choil and flicks open with mid finger just so. Fine addition to the line.

woodysone, PStone and jbmonkey like this.
  13. Jaydud

Jaydud Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2015
    I’ve been away from the forums for a few months. Ok...mostly away... but have been checking in every now and then. The tanto pm2 always had my interest and brought me back here. Anyway, it is new knife day for me.

FB897BFB-F298-41F2-B8F7-05F78402A53B.jpeg
    Unfortunately due to a torn tendon in my dominant hand I haven’t had the opportunity to test this bad boy out.

woodysone, jbmonkey, PStone and 3 others like this.
  14. Finedges

Finedges

Jul 6, 2009
    Balance

15. Finedges

Finedges

Jul 6, 2009
    Balance

16. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    more are coming

woodysone and jstn like this.
  17. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I hadn't heard, but glad to hear it. I'll have to snag one then.

woodysone likes this.
  18. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    Me too. i came real close but passed the first round. Now I’m seriously contemplating one because of the strengthened tip and balance.

woodysone likes this.
  19. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    got mine today. fit and finish are fantastic on this one.

got to say black blade and smallish blade to handle ratio of pm2 really popped out at me on this one. I had to measure to another pm2 to make sure I didn't get an out of spec blade length one. im used to it on pm2 with the normal blade shapes and never bugged me before. this one just feels looks a bit short. pics here aren't capturing that from the angles used making the blade appear longer.

we need a military version. problem solved.;)

rpn, insta9ves, rxavage and 2 others like this.
  20. DA170

DA170 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2020
    Definitely going to have a hard time breaking the Tanto tip. :) 2020-08-03 18.38.16.jpg 2020-08-03 18.38.42.jpg

woodysone, rpn, insta9ves and 2 others like this.