Tanto PM2!!

From browsing this and the Spyderco forums, I haven’t seen Sal comment on exclusives. Not sure if it’s an explicit policy, i guess it’s to avoid getting involved in the potential negative publicity associated to the dealer exclusives.
Given that the PM2 wave is BladeOps exclusives, it’s pretty much safe to say that the Tanto will be an exclusive too. BladeHQ said so in their instagram story during Blade show.
I suspect bladehq has other exclusives in the queue i.e. the M4 Manix 2 XL so they wanna do it one at a time, instead of releasing 2 competing exclusives.
This is the problem with exclusives, where things may be artificially delayed to avoid cannibalizing the sales of another exclusives.

Reactions: AF
When I saw the vid of Eric at shot show showing the PM2 Tanto I don't recall him saying this was an exclusive. It sounded to me like this was going to be a regular production knife. I do wish Sal or Eric would shed some light on this.

Mike

I think it’s bad policy to make it an exclusive. Yes there was the Wolfspyder, the Kahr Arms Delica and the waved PM2.
But none of those will touch what the tanto PM2 will do in sales.​

I agree. This will be a huge seller. Wish it wasn’t an exclusive. I wish they made the Kahr Arms Delica again as well.

At this point the silence is deafening when it comes to the exclusivity of the PM2 tanto. I definitely hope that this is a regular production, because I don’t like to buy from BHQ.
I know some poster above mentioned that without dealers support Spyderco would not have produced certain model, but i sure hope that Spyderco hasn’t got to the point that they just become an OEM for dealers.
I want to buy Spyderco PM2 Tanto, not BladeHQ PM2 Tanto(produced by Spyderco).

If it is a “permanent” exclusive that will be available just as standard production but only through one dealer, I will be fine.
But if we have some batches only for a couple of time, it will make no sense for what the demand could be for a tanto PM2
And it will also mean that we may have less options for different steels , Colors or DLC....

IMO blade shapes is different that wave opening.
Tanto, wharnie and drop point would be a great trio for production Spyderco familly

the only advantages for Spyderco to offers exclusives is to limit their risks as it will be the dealers that will have the stocks.
But on the customer side it will not be a great news....

Looking at the views for this thread alone....15,500 views as of this post. One of the highest on the Spyderco forum on BF.

I think that warrants an update. It will be a HUGE SELLER

I emailed BHQ and asked when they would have them for sale? Also asked if they were going to be a limited production run?

Hello Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, we don't have any more information on the release date and the knife itself yet. Keep your eyes open on Spyderco's website and our social media pages, as we'll do our best to put information there when we have more. I'm willing to bet that we should have it before the end of the year, but I'm not sure when.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

My regards,

Chris H.
Customer Service Representative

Hi Mike,

I'm willing to bet that it will not be a limited item, but I don't know for sure. Stay tuned.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

My regards,

Chris H.
Customer Service Representative

Weird....Eric said at blade or shot 2020 they were currently being made. So January 2020, they were in production.........

Reactions: AF
Weird....Eric said at blade or shot 2020 they were currently being made. So January 2020, they were in production.........

I thought I heard the same thing. Also what about Spyderco's new policy of not announcing a knife until it was about ready to be released? No long waits?

Mike

Back