Tanto style blades, what's everyone's feelings?

Tantos are great, because it gives you a tip like an exacto knife, and a nice solid cutting edge down low. Drop point tantos are the best imo.

I've always wondered exactly this about the tanto, as I've never owned one because I thought it might lack functionality. I really like the look of the drop point tantos as well, just checked a few of them out, was unfamiliar with that style before your post so thanks for turning me on to something new.

I've always wondered exactly this about the tanto, as I've never owned one because I thought it might lack functionality. I really like the look of the drop point tantos as well, just checked a few of them out, was unfamiliar with that style before your post so thanks for turning me on to something new.

I like tantos because I can slice cardboard nicely with the middle tip. Much better angle between my hand and the cutting surface than trying to use the tip of a knife

I like tantos because I can slice cardboard nicely with the middle tip. Much better angle between my hand and the cutting surface than trying to use the tip of a knife

Also, the middle tip is a great way to cut tape when opening boxes without cutting too deep

Aesthetically I love them, sharpening them on the other hand is a pain in my ass. That being said I mostly only have to sharpen the foreward leading edge and not the main portion so in reality its kind of a wash for me.

oIHSYMSh.jpg

Always been mixed on the tanto style. Sometimes love it and other times think its a cliché and refers to old Japanese style swords. In any case there are times when and even months in a row that I feel like I cant live without one.

rock.jpeg

I own two Tanto style blades. First is a CRKT M16-02 and the other is a Kershaw Zing. The CRKT does not see much pocket time anymore because of steel and heat treatment issues and the Kershaw has never really been used because I prefer the drop point version.

The Benchmade Stryker is a great knife. Now, if Benchmade would only produce a drop point FFG, That would be puss.

Half the knives I make are tanto... So I'm slightly biased.

Not my kind and never had any use for them at all.

A reverse tanto or wharncliff would be more appropriate.

Tantos are really practical grinds.

Except for all the other tantos that aren't very practical.

Used to love em. Now, I no longer have any. Been eyeing the Mcusta Katana lately, though...

The Tanto has limited use. A reinforced clip point gives better piercing and is just as tough. Plus, the overall blade design is better for more applications, in my opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of tanto blades, as I have a hard enough time sharpening one edge, better yet two. But as other people have stated they do have their perks, you can do very fine tip work with them. Anything where you have to punture then slice is a breeze. They look cool. But if you're looking for a stryker they make it in a different blade style.

I have a few and find them very useful!
Here are a couple of mine.
Microtech Socom Elite auto. Beast of a cutter!
Mcusta Katana. Slicy little bitch!
Benchmade 760 Lum. Monster!
Joe

007fa3ad71653ab91f786571f3f69ba4.jpg

6b712a277b9e1af15b61d7da8b70dad5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanto's :thumbup:

They make a great working knife in the urban environment. Master of cardboard cutting! great for removing packaging of all kind. Laying any carpet or trimming any edges? Tanto's work great. As previously mentioned, you can use the secondary point to control the depth of your cut very easily. The right tool for the right job! I used to work in a warehouse, it came in very handy there as well! Now I use mine as the 'around the house' knife.

IMG_20160222_133538413_zpsyzrttmrw.jpg

Tantos are excellent knives in use and the "middle point" is great for controlled depth cuts. I have never felt hindered in any way by the blade shape and have actually grown to prefer it. Furthermore, it looks rad. I don't understand the problem here. Do you tanto-haters hate radness?? Shame on you! :D;)

12955612213_674df9d4fa_z.jpg

13407700603_f1d0f51052_z.jpg

17468539561_64bdf49e73_z.jpg

9438755919_edab606877_z.jpg

Back